View Full Version : Dance Music Alternatives

dani
12-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone!!

I was listening to a pop/rock waltz on the radio and realized that the tempo is close to that of the Willow Waltz. Of course now I have to remember the name of it so I can find the song and count the number of beats.

That had me thinking, has anyone had experiences where they have figured out a pop song that has the right (ie, is close enough in) style/tempo to do a compulsary dance to? I am thinking that would be a nice way to practice and also a fun way to do a dance in an exhibition.

Hugs!!
Danielle

ps) My Washington DC competition application is signed!

skaternum
12-05-2002, 12:07 PM
"Kiss From A Rose" by Seal is apparently the right tempo for a Dutch Waltz. And James Taylor's "Everybody Loves To Cha Cha Cha" (I think that's the song I'm thinking of) is the right tempo for ...duh... the Cha Cha.

With the popularity in Latin music these days, I'm sure there must be tons of modern cha chas and tangos around. If you can find the right type of music (fox trot, waltz, etc.) and you have decent music editing software, you can alter it so the tempo matches what you need.

skaternum

Beat ya! My Washington application was mailed weeks ago. :D

Aussie Willy
12-07-2002, 06:16 AM
Try doing the Willow Waltz to the Macarena! That is what my coach and I have done in the past and it is good fun. We call it the Willowrena. I know it is not a 3/4 timing but it is the right tempo and the dance fits right in.

Also we put on a piece of Paso Doble music the other night and did the Canasta Tango to it. I suppose you could call it the Canasta Doble.

So you really can use any piece of music for any dance but then that is the best thing about ice dancing.

Elsy2
12-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Christmas music was playing at our rink today.....So if you hear, "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" (or whatever the correct title is..) step right up and do the Rhythm Blues.

skaternum
12-07-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
So you really can use any piece of music for any dance but then that is the best thing about ice dancing.

Ooh, I disagree. I think it's really important for ice dancers to use the right rhythm (e.g., waltz for a waltz). Many of the ice dancers I've seen are ... how to put it politely? ... rhythmically challenged and are being asked to learn ice dance to help their musical interpretation and/or edges. These kids couldn't count music if you paid them a dollar for every bar they got right. The coaches have enough problems as it is getting them to understand and skate to the 3/4 waltz tempo, without having a 4/4 macarena get in the way! :) The dance rhythms are fundamental to dancing.

dani
12-07-2002, 11:09 PM
Thanks Skaternum, I agree with that!

As an example, you all may have read my running joke about tangoes. The fact remains that I love to skate a tango because the, um, feel of it is so precise. Anyway, there is no way I could listen to, for example, a march and skate with that same type of expression. I have a hard time skating it right without the music even!

A waltz needs the right 2-1-3 timing at the levels we are talking to be expressed right. Imagine doing the lilt in the rhythm blues (or the blues) without a blues playing?

Of course, with that said, it doesn't mean that you can't have fun with any of these dances and do the steps to another rhythm or even another speed - however, I am looking more for a "correct" alternative.

Thanks again!!
Danielle

Mrs Redboots
12-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
The coaches have enough problems as it is getting them to understand and skate to the 3/4 waltz tempo, without having a 4/4 macarena get in the way! :) Yes, and it's horrendously difficult if you are practising the Cha-Cha (oh, today I LOVE the Cha-Cha) and some other skaters have the music and are practising a waltz! Talking of waltzes, you can skate the Dutch Waltz to "I'm forever blowing bubbles!"

The dance rhythms are fundamental to dancing. Ouch.... But having said that, you can have some fun at social dance events playing around - at our club nights, sometimes there are no skaters able and willing to dance the Paso Doble - so we do the Rhythm Blues to the Paso rhythm instead....

Aussie Willy
12-09-2002, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Ooh, I disagree. I think it's really important for ice dancers to use the right rhythm (e.g., waltz for a waltz). Many of the ice dancers I've seen are ... how to put it politely? ... rhythmically challenged and are being asked to learn ice dance to help their musical interpretation and/or edges. These kids couldn't count music if you paid them a dollar for every bar they got right. The coaches have enough problems as it is getting them to understand and skate to the 3/4 waltz tempo, without having a 4/4 macarena get in the way! :) The dance rhythms are fundamental to dancing.

Skaternum - I do understand what you are saying. I suppose with myself I don't have a problems with tempos and timing because I have a musical background (play cello) so for me timing is a pretty easy thing. I can pick any piece of music and dance to it; in fact in public session when they just play any sort of music I just do whichever dance takes my fancy.

But there are many people out there with no sense of timing so for them the correct music is probably the way to go. Still it is fun to do dances to different types of music.