View Full Version : Mohawk Questions

quarkiki2
12-04-2002, 11:29 AM
What are the steps in the 5-step mohawks sequence? I have just "got" the inside mohawk on both sides and would like to try it in a sequence tonight when I practice. Just to play around a bit.

I can do this sequence: stroke 3x, mohawk, two-foot glide backwards, one-foot glide backwards (BO edge), mohawk to FO edge -- but I don't think that's the same sequence everyone else talks about. The one I can do is the ISI Gamma sequence.

Also, I can only do it on a curve (and a pretty steep one at that). How do I straighten the mohawk out?

spicyicey
12-04-2002, 11:51 AM
RFI
mohawk
LBI
step to RBO
step to LFO
slip to RFI

and then you would step onto the LFI and do the whole thing the other way. I don't know how picky you are at this point but the above sequence is ideally a half circle shape. So the sequence that you're doing is very similar, minus the two foot glide. I always liked this move, have fun with it!

Elsy2
12-04-2002, 12:43 PM
You can do this step sequence to work on both your inside mohawks too:
RFI mohawk, cross right foot over in front, step to left forward inside edge and do LFI mohawk, cross left foot in front, step forward to right inside edge and keep repeating.....mohawks are done on a curve, so no need to straighten them out totally. Doing them on a hockey circle gives you a good idea of how curvy the edge should be. Have fun!

Mrs Redboots
12-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
You can do this step sequence to work on both your inside mohawks too:
RFI mohawk, cross right foot over in front, step to left forward inside edge and do LFI mohawk, cross left foot in front, step forward to right inside edge and keep repeating.....mohawks are done on a curve, so no need to straighten them out totally. Doing them on a hockey circle gives you a good idea of how curvy the edge should be. Have fun! That is a horrible exercise, because you have to keep bending and moving your upper body.... I can just about do it, but only just about, and that is serious progress....

jenlyon60
12-04-2002, 01:34 PM
I like doing back and forth mohawks... easiest on a very flat edge to almost outside.

basically LF-RB, RB-LF and so forth over and over. If you've got a good sense of centering, it's not that difficult. The hardest part once you've got the centering is increasing the tempo of the foot changes.

--jsl

twinkle
12-04-2002, 01:58 PM
What is the 8-step mohawk pattern I've also heard mentioned?

I think this might be one of our field moves but I'm not sure.

Elsy2
12-04-2002, 04:34 PM
Th eight step mohawk sequence is found as a juvenile and adult silver move:

LFO
RFI
LFO Mohawk to RBO
LBI
RBO
LBI
RFI
Repeat

Oh yes...then do them the other direction!

This can be done around the hockey circle. The difficulty is doing the outside mohawks correctly, entering on a true outside edge, and coming out of the mohawk on a true outside edge. It's easy to do the mohawk incorrectly with a LFO to a RBI or straight edge rather than keeping a RBO edge out of the mohawk. I have yet to do these correctly on a consistent basis :roll:

Sorry you don't like my step sequence Mrs. Redboots, LOL! I don't like it either, and it was the first sequence I was taught many moons ago!

JDC1
12-05-2002, 01:19 PM
Flo, I've been taught both sequences and I LOVE THEM. I used to hate practicing mohawks but now that I can do them as part of a sequence it's loads more fun. It's actually really helped with my mohawks which used to be abysmal, particularly the left, but now it's better.