View Full Version : Exercise-induced asthma

gardener
12-04-2002, 09:28 AM
I have read that exercise-induced asthma is rampant (approximately 30% of elite and medalist figure skaters tested at nationals and sectionals in the U.S.). My daughter, although fitting into neither of these categories, also suffers from this problem...mostly it gets bad during the colder months. Our pediatrician is treating her with an inhaled medication that works quite well, but I'd really like to get at the heart of this subject. We have also tried naturopathic treatments (to deal with allergies which the naturopath found she had to ice arena specific substances) with no success.

Does anyone know of a source of very current info on this topic?

flo
12-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Hi,
Check out the old thread "skaters with asthma"

There are quite a few skaters with asthma. I actually did a survey on it a few years ago, and have a journal article if you're interested. You may want to talk to your doctor and consider one of the systemic - oral - medicatons (singulair and accolate). They have been successful with excercise induced asthma. I went to the Asthma and Allergy Center at Hopkins Bayview. They were great and very familiar with excercise induced asthma and skating

I sent th earticle to JD possibly? I'll try to find it again.

RoaringSkates
12-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Does her asthma occur only when she exercises, and never at other times in the rink? Exercise induced asthma is triggered by exercise, especially in cold weather, rather than by an allergy to a substance.

However, if she's undergone medical allergy testing and these medical tests have shown that she reacts to substances in the rink, that's another thing. I wouldn't go on the word of a naturopath for this unless they did actual medical allergy tests - better to have her get allergy tests at the pediatrician or an allergist's office, to be sure. No need to treat something that isn't there! Also, be sure to tell your pediatrician of any natural or homeopathic remedy she's taking, as this may affect the performance of her inhaler.

The best way to treat exercise induced asthma is to prevent an attack from occurring. I find that breathing through a scarf will help warm my breath, and lessen the asthma. Also, be sure she takes her inhaler with her to the rink, and takes a puff at least 15 minutes prior to practice. This should prevent or lessen the attacks. Lastly, I've found that the more I exercise, the fewer attacks I have. So, the fitter she is, the more exertion it will take to have an attack. So keeping skating and doing other things to be fit will really help.

gardener
12-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Thank you for your input, Flo and RoaringSkates, I'll check out the thread archive.