View Full Version : Editing music

RoaringSkates
12-03-2002, 04:02 PM
I am interested in purchasing some software for my Macintosh that will allow me to edit music. I've heard of Cakewalk Music Creator. Anyone edit their own skating music? What do you use?

Elsy2
12-03-2002, 04:16 PM
I use Soundforge. I also hear Cool Edit is a good program. Since I've used Soundforge for several years, I really don't know what is currently out there. Many of the programs are very similar, and I used a demo for awhile to be sure I liked the program. You may be able to download a demo of the program you are considering.

Designdiva
12-03-2002, 05:36 PM
I use SoundEdit. I use a Macintosh.

jenlyon60
12-03-2002, 05:47 PM
I've used Goldwave. Have had pretty good luck with it.

spicyicey
12-03-2002, 06:38 PM
I use Audacity. It's a free program, and I think it works pretty well. I saw the reccomendation on this forum somewhere, so you might see some more options if you do a search. There aren't a lot of special features on it, but it works for me! 8-)

Lee
12-03-2002, 07:54 PM
I've used Goldwave for about 7 years now -- works very well for skating music.

www.goldwave.com

arena_gal
12-03-2002, 08:17 PM
Goldwave is Windows only is it not?

Lately I'm using SoundStudio on the Mac .

http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

singerskates
12-03-2002, 11:38 PM
I don't just edit my skating music but many other skaters' skating music. I use Cool Edit, just got Cakewalk Music Creator (playing around with it and it works inconjuction with Cool Edit) and Easy CD Creator to burn CDs.

I don't however have a Mac. I'm using an IMB compatible.

email me at singerskates@musicinit.com for tips. We can learn Cakewalk together. LOL I can also send you a few MP3 samples of work I've done.

Elsy2
12-04-2002, 08:06 AM
I clicked on the SoundStudio link provided, and looks like you can use it for 14 days on a trial basis. It seems to have all the features that you would need.

emyh
12-04-2002, 07:54 PM
I use Audacity also after trying out from a suggestion from somebody on a thread somewhere who used it. I recommend it - I have tried several, and Audacity is also one of the easier ones to mainpulate the sound file.

thechoreo1
12-05-2002, 07:55 PM
The industry standard for MAC is Pro Tools by Digidesign. The basic version is free from the site at www.digidesign.com (http://www.digidesign.com) . Toast for mac is an inexpensive CD burning application. C

Elsy2
12-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Even though I've cut music for quite a while, I admit I don't use many of the available features of the program. I have just finished a program where the middle portion's bass is a little too booming. I had to boost the volume on this quite a bit to match the other pieces of music. Can someone give me some tips on what I can do to reduce the bass for this portion of the program? Thanks!

Lili
12-05-2002, 09:57 PM
When I had the program, I used something called Amadeus? Im not really sure exactly what the name was, but im pretty sure that was it. I got it off of download.com and loved it.

rjblue
12-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Audacity is very easy to use and it is free. It took me about 10 minutes to edit my daughters program music, and I had never used the program before.

arena_gal
12-06-2002, 11:37 AM
ProTools Free doesn't work on OS X but will work in Classic mode. I'm going to try it out anyways and will report back - eventually!

singerskates
12-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Elsy2
Even though I've cut music for quite a while, I admit I don't use many of the available features of the program. I have just finished a program where the middle portion's bass is a little too booming. I had to boost the volume on this quite a bit to match the other pieces of music. Can someone give me some tips on what I can do to reduce the bass for this portion of the program? Thanks!

Which program are you using? If you're using Cool Edit, email me at singerskates@musicinit.com Generally you need to run that section through a limiter.

Elsy2
12-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Singerskates....I couldn't find a limiter function in Soundforge, but I did start playing with the differnet preset filter options and I think I've fixed it. 8-)