View Full Version : Excitement and Dread

icesk8er31
12-03-2002, 02:58 PM
So, my coach says to me last night, "I think we'll start working on axels in January. I think you'll axel pretty easily."

Well, let me tell you, I was filled with excitement and dread at this statement. I would love to think I could axel easily, but so far, not much has come easily for me in skating. I also wonder if I'm ready for this. I have a good flip and loop. and jump-loop combos. But I skate very slowly and have an almost non-existant lutz. I'm worried I may be rushing.

Any opinions?

Mrs Redboots
12-03-2002, 04:29 PM
If your coach reckons you're ready, you probably are. Why not spend time between now and then working on your speed? A little speedwork at the end of each session never did anybody any harm.....

kayskate
12-04-2002, 06:19 AM
The lutz is not related to the axel at all, IMO. So a poor lutz should not be an indicator of your axel potential. However, if your jumps overall are small, slow, or weak; *that* is an indicator. I am not a coach, but from what I have seen, a skater should have good basic jump technique and a reasonable sense of power on the ice to tackle the axel. I have often marvelled at the apparent foolishness of trying to teach a weak skater to do an axel (and I have seen it more than once w/ adult skaters). Just trying an axel req's a high level of confidence and security on the ice. IMO, that is lacking if the skater cannot do a strong loop, waltz, upright spins, etc.

Kay

sk8er1964
12-04-2002, 08:51 AM
I have a great axel and a lousy lutz - so don't worry about that part! I think if your coach says you're ready, you probably can physically do it. That said, in order to successfully do an axel, you have to be mentally prepared for it. It is a rather scary jump for people to learn (especially adults) so you have to be willing and mentally able to throw yourself into the process of learning the jump.

gardener
12-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Do you skate slowly because you need to build more strength or is it fear or just a habit?

icesk8er31
12-04-2002, 09:20 AM
Gardener,

I think it's a habit. My technique is generally very good by all accounts, correct leg position on loops, no cheats, strong check on salchows, etc. I think the main problem is that I haven't had a coach that has pushed me to go faster. I've only actually done one program (for FS3) in my life. I've asked my new coach to choreograph a Bronze program for me. I'm hoping that will improve my speed, confidence and transitions.

One of the reasons my coach thinks I'll be able to do an axel is that I am very willing to take things slowly, break them down and do exercises. My lutz is painful to watch at this point because it basically looks like it's in stro-motion. :) It's technically perfect (correct edge, etc.) but very purposeful. My coach seems to think this will help on the axel, since many of her students tend to be "wild" when they are first trying to learn one. However, in the back of my mind, I keep seeing skaters that are much faster, and therefore better, trying, falling, trying, falling, trying, falling, and I think: There is no way I should even be thinking about this.

flo
12-04-2002, 10:58 AM
How are your edges and basic skating? If they are pretty good, and you have control - get some pads and give it a try. If not, then spen the time on the basics. Axels take lots and lots of time. I've seen many people with poor skills putting excessive amounts of time into axels and can't do decent crossovers.

icesk8er31
12-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the good advice all. Maybe it would be a good idea, after reading all these posts, to spend some additional time on stroking before suiting up for the axel.