View Full Version : Putting rhinestones onto leotard

RoaringSkates
12-02-2002, 09:48 AM
Ok, my first skating comp is coming up this Sunday. I am very nervous, but I am getting ready. I have my costume set, but I need to add some rhinestones to the neckline. I have the rhinestones - how do you put rhinestones onto a dress?

I figured I'd sew them on, but they have nothing on them that allows them to be sewn. I know you can buy rhinestone backs and a piece of equipment to close them onto the dress. I did buy some glue specifically made for gluing rhinestones to fabric. How do you normally add your rhinestones?

jenlyon60
12-02-2002, 10:08 AM
You can buy special fabric glue made for gluing at JoAnns (or probably also at Hancocks)... I forget the brand name but it's located in the same area as the other specialized glues, believe it's made by Ailenes. Or there's a brand called Gem-Tac.

Basically what you want to do is plan your design, first. Then lay your leotard or dress out flat. If you're gluing stones onto sheer fabric, place something like wax paper or the shiny side of freezer paper underneath.

Now for the important part.... you put the glue on the fabric, then put the stone into the glue spot. It's very critical to make a glue spot that is big enough to cover the edges of the stone. That secures the stone very well. Only do a few glue spots and stones at a time so that you can apply the stones before the glue starts setting up. I usually do 3 or 4 glue spots, apply those stones, and continue. Tweezers seem to work best for placing the stones, you just have to make sure you clean the tweezers frequently. When I get to a point where the fabric curves for my shape, I stop and wait about an hour or so for the glue to set enough.

Give yourself plenty of time, and if you have a scrap of the fabric for your leotard or dress, practice gluing a few stones on that before starting on the real mccoy. If you make some small bobbles (e.g. inconsistent placement of stones), they won't be noticed from a distance. Also, since the glue dries clear, if you drip a bit of glue, it won't matter.

Hope this helps...

--jsl

dani
12-02-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
You can buy special fabric glue made for gluing at JoAnns (or probably also at Hancocks)... I forget the brand name but it's located in the same area as the other specialized glues, believe it's made by Ailenes. Or there's a brand called Gem-Tac.

I have something called Fabri-tac and I don't remember where I bought it. I am thinking it was Michael's. Do you remember Jen?

Good luck at your comp!!!!

Hugs,
Danielle

jenlyon60
12-02-2002, 10:54 AM
Michael's or Joann's. Am thinking JoAnn's because I remember that it was the nicest uncluttered JoAnn's I'd ever been in.

Both should carry the glue though.

--jsl

MissIndigo
12-02-2002, 11:05 AM
Do this task in a well-ventilated area too. Fabri-Tac near about knocks my head off. After using this one time, I felt as if my head was floating above my shoulders, attached to my neck by a string!

Good luck in your competition! Have fun and enjoy it, and I'm sure you'll look great in your dress!

Clarice
12-04-2002, 03:59 PM
I glue stones with this stuff called E6000, and have never had a problem with them coming off. Use it the same way as has been described above. It dries flexibly, so it works well on stretch fabrics. I get it at Ben Franklin, but I think any large craft store would likely carry it.

itsgr82sk8
12-04-2002, 05:49 PM
The aileenes product is called jewel- it.

RoaringSkates
12-05-2002, 09:41 AM
Yup, that's what I used - Jewel-It. I have learned to use LESS for each stone. No need to glop it on quite as much as I did. I wish I did the back first, then the front of my dress. The back looks great, the front looks good...if you're not too close!

Lili
12-05-2002, 10:06 PM
I also use Jewel-it and that stuff is like cement.

A little tip: if you have too much glue on the dress, take off the excess with a toothpick. It works wonders! :)