View Full Version : Public Sessions/Milk Cartons?

Integrity
11-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Wondering if anyone has an opinion:

Do you think small kids should be allowed to skate with stacked milk cartons to help them learn to skate on a (not too crowded) public session? Do you think they make a mess of the ice? Should this be saved for Learn To Skate sessions?

Thanks!

CanAmSk8ter
11-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Unless they have a monitor who is going to vigilantly make sure that only kids who need them are using them, absolutely not. The rink where I used to work had a policy of no walkers on public, only Learn-to-Skate or private ice rentals (parties, etc.). Occasionally we had complaints, but only once or twice while I was working, and once we explained the reason the parents were usually ok with it. But I happened to see the end of a public there last year, and apparently they now are allowed on public skate. The rink where I currently train allows this too. What a disaster! It's not even the tots who need them that are using them, it's mostly the seven-, eight-, and nine-year-olds who probably *could* skate on their own if they wanted to but think the walkers are fun. They fly around and of course because they can't *really* skate they are completely out of control at the speed they get. I think it's a matter of time before someone gets hurt by a kid using one out of control.

Aussie Willy
12-01-2002, 03:33 AM
In a not so crowded session I think it is a really good idea for them to have something to hold onto, as long as they keep around the outside of the rink. After all if they are not too steady on their feet then at least there is less risk of injury. But I agree with CanAmSk8ter - it does need to be monitored. I think it should be more a case of someone who works at the rink or a coach offers them to the kids, or a parent can ask for them, and they are kept out of general sight so that others can't just grab them to play with.

But in a more crowded session I would say no. They then become a hazard.

singerskates
12-01-2002, 11:32 AM
On public sessions in the Windsor, ON area, pylons (milkcartens, chairs or what have you) are not allowed. But we do allow them on Parent and Tot and on Preschool CanSkate. Private parties are allowed to have these items too.

changing the subjuect a bit
I was at public skating for the last half hour yesterday with my daughter. The skate patrol were all together just talking (three of them) not even watching what was going on and they even broke their own rules. No wonder, I and a few other figure skaters can get away with spinning and jumping where ever we want. They plain don't watch. Although, I really don't like the ice even in the middle on public skating. I just brought my daughter to get her to cross train for her broomball.

I made one mistake skating yesterday. I didn't warm up my boots before putting them on. Brrr, were they cold. I've been leaving them in the car/van overnight. On my first jump attempt which I landed but aborted the flowing edge soon after, my freeleg on the landing got a nice jolt of pain because the muscle was so cold from the boots.

:!: If you leave your skates in the car over night in the winter, always warm the boots up with a hand or hair dryer before wearing them. :!:

Brigitte