I passed Juvenile moves this morning! :D

Anyone else testing soon?

Kim

LoopLoop
05-29-2002, 12:23 PM
[quote:66eb40f5c8="kar5162"]I passed Juvenile moves this morning! :D
Kim[/quote:66eb40f5c8]

Congratulations, Kim! :D

I'm trying them again the first week of July...I was really close at the beginning of this month.

Marna

db
05-29-2002, 01:42 PM
Way to go Kim! That's a hard one to pass and, I guess you know, that you are now working on the "higher" level moves :D

TashaKat
05-29-2002, 02:02 PM
[quote:7df7304dc5="kar5162"]I passed Juvenile moves this morning! :D

Kim[/quote:7df7304dc5]

:D Well done :)

Do you mind me asking what you do in Juvenile moves? (I'm in the UK so do a different test system totally).

I'm 'supposed' to be putting my test papers in for my UK Inter-Silver Compulsories (22 step and European Waltz) but the problem with my knee has put paid to that for a short while ...... aw, shucks, what a shame ;)

L x

kar5162
05-29-2002, 03:43 PM
[quote:b09d96e4a7="TashaKat"]Do you mind me asking what you do in Juvenile moves? (I'm in the UK so do a different test system totally).

I'm 'supposed' to be putting my test papers in for my UK Inter-Silver Compulsories (22 step and European Waltz) but the problem with my knee has put paid to that for a short while ...... aw, shucks, what a shame ;)

L x[/quote:b09d96e4a7]

Sure:

1 - 8 step mohawk sequence (CCW directions given, also repeated CW after stopping) - forward crossover, forward outside mohawk, step down with the left foot, step down with the right foot (still going backwards), backwards crossover, inside mohawk to forwards - repeat 2 more times.

* The first part is similar to some dance...maybe the 14 step? I don't dance, but I saw a million tests this morning and the end pattern of one is very similar to this move except this move is done in a big circle.

2 - Cross strokes - forward and backwards. I think you may call it something else. You push from outside edge to outside edge with the foot crossing in front going forwards and behind going backwards.

3 - Back power 3s - BO3, mohawk - 3-5 times around a big circle, repeat in other direction to form a big figure 8. You can do a 2 or 1 foot glide between circles.

4 - Forward double 3s - 1 length FO-BI 3s (usually 3 starting with LFO3 and 2 with RFO3), then 1 length FI-BO 3s (usually 3 starting with RFI3 and 2 with LFI3).

The European seems to be very challenging - of all the dances I saw, I think the most people didn't pass that one.

Kim

melanieuk
05-29-2002, 04:15 PM
[color=red:daa2157af3]Well done!!!! :lol:

I could never have done those moves, yuk yuk yuk.
They're similar in difficulty to UK's Bronze level 3 (same track for kids and adults). [/color:daa2157af3]

db
05-29-2002, 04:33 PM
Mel, this is an important test over here because it is the last of the "low" level tests. It really separates the wheat from the chaff. The 8 step mohawk pattern has to be stroked to an even and fast rhythm, all 3's have to be cleanly checked and no bobbles on edges, 3's must be placed properly, and the cross strokes have to be deep outside edges and maintain power and speed. I've seen kids with solid doubles who look great on the ice fail this test more than once. I watched my daughter clean up these moves and the difference in her skating was significant by the time she passed. Anyone who can pass this test is a REAL skater.

jazzpants
05-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Not taking any test in the immediate future...but just want to add my congrats to you for passing your Juv test!!! WOO HOO! You go, girl!!! :D

Cheers,
jazzpants

Figureskates
05-29-2002, 06:19 PM
While her uncle is trying to get the pre-pre moves down pat for a test in September, the 10-year old niece, whom I introduced to the sport over a year ago passed her pre-pres today... More power to her, she still enjoys skating with her uncle (and showing him how it is done!!!)

Gotta love it!!

icetiff
05-29-2002, 07:10 PM
I just passed my senior field moves and freeskate a couple weeks ago and in the middle of june i will test my senior pair test. I'm so happy that i'm almost done testing. I only failed one test which was the intermediate free test.

LoopLoop
05-30-2002, 07:41 AM
[quote:4596ba31b7="icetiff"]I just passed my senior field moves and freeskate a couple weeks ago and in the middle of june i will test my senior pair test. I'm so happy that i'm almost done testing. I only failed one test which was the intermediate free test.[/quote:4596ba31b7]

Congratulations, Tiffany! That's awesome. :)

kar5162
05-30-2002, 08:13 AM
Seconding Marna - way to go Tiffany!

Mrs Redboots
05-30-2002, 09:21 AM
[quote:c1b5b3120d="kar5162"]I passed Juvenile moves this morning! :D

Kim[/quote:c1b5b3120d][color=red:c1b5b3120d]CONGRATULATIONS![/color:c1b5b3120d][/b:c1b5b3120d]
And no, I'm not testing soon (see my post on the other board).

flo
05-30-2002, 09:40 AM
:D :) :!:

Mel On Ice
06-02-2002, 09:10 AM
My coach surprised me with a test session on Thursday, unfortunately, I don't work that way... 8O

I did all the elements up to the one foot spin perfectly, then I hit a wall. I went back to all my bad habits, and invented a few on the way. :x

Worst part, the judge for this particular test was none other than the teenager I fired as my coach last year because she stood me up too many times for a lesson. Gah! :?

Luckily, I didn't have to pay for the session, but we are going to try this again this week and if needed, in two weeks during an official test session so I can mentally prepare for it.

db
06-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Congrats to [b:7aa2f04c82]Tiffany[/b:7aa2f04c82]. Good luck on pairs in June!
[b:7aa2f04c82]Mel on Ice[/b:7aa2f04c82] That hardly seems fair, the judge and the springing of the test on you. Hope things work out much better next time.

Michigansk8er
06-03-2002, 11:07 AM
:D Congrats!!!!! :D

No tests for me anytime soon, if ever. Passed Adult Silver FS 2 weeks ago. I think I've reached the end of the line.

LeslieM

Mel On Ice
06-03-2002, 10:47 PM
Leslie, congrats! I'm sure your lutz was beautiful.

db, my coach was under the impression that if she gave me little time to get nervous, I'd be okay. I'm one of 4 adult students she has and every one of us gets fluttery and nervous. But she doesn't understand that I function best that way, because it keeps me focused on the goal.

When I got on the ice for that freestyle, my mind was on talking to my friend Denise, work, what I was going to have for dinner after skating, traffic, and the new dress I was test driving on the ice for the first time. 15 minutes in and 15 to go 'til my lesson, after seeing me practice flawless one foot spins, she tells me about the test. Bomb!

Michigansk8er
06-05-2002, 06:41 AM
Hey Mel,

No beautiful lutz. We took it out for the test, and replaced it with a required jump. :D

LeslieM

lsk8tr
06-05-2002, 06:14 PM
I'll be taking the Adult Silver July 13th.

I'll keep y'all updated as to how it goes. :wink:

TaraNJ
06-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Whhhooopppppeeeee Kim! I knew you would get it on the first shot! Congratulations!!! On to Intermediate!!!!!

db
06-06-2002, 03:51 PM
For anyone testing/competing who get terrible butterflies on the ice:
My daughter does not get nervous when she is actually skating, because it is the only time she [b:b127beba74]knows[/b:b127beba74] there is no one to get in her way, interrupt her pattern, or collide with her. I thought this was a novel and positive way to approach testing and competing. Don't have a clue if it would work for me, but wanted to share it.

Ice T
06-08-2002, 02:57 PM
I passed my Adult Silver Freeskate last Saturday!!! :D :D :D

Mrs Redboots
06-09-2002, 12:52 PM
[quote:3d9fe2f5f7="Ice T"]I passed my Adult Silver Freeskate last Saturday!!! :D :D :D[/quote:3d9fe2f5f7]Oh, Ice T, that is wonderful news! Well done you!!! :D Many, many congratulations. :D

Ice T
06-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Thank you!! :D :D

jazzpants
06-10-2002, 01:02 AM
[quote:9878991a91="Ice T"]I passed my Adult Silver Freeskate last Saturday!!! :D :D :D[/quote:9878991a91]

I'll second my congrats to you, Ice T. :D (And icetiff too for that matter! Seniors Moves and FS!!! Good luck on the Senior Pair test too!) 8O :D

Cheers,
jazzpants

dani
06-10-2002, 04:47 AM
I hope to test my first four dances (dutch waltz, rhythm blues, canasta tango, and the swing dance) and my pre-bronze freestyle at our first test center in July. That will really test my stamina, though!

Hugs to everyone!!
Danielle

flo
06-10-2002, 09:33 AM
T - Congratulations!

mkcrazy02
06-11-2002, 10:51 PM
I passed my juvenile f/s saturday. Iam testing my int. moves july 11.

Mrs Redboots
06-12-2002, 11:24 AM
[quote:5aab22fdb1="mkcrazy02"]I passed my juvenile f/s saturday. Iam testing my int. moves july 11.[/quote:5aab22fdb1]We are a talented bunch! Again, congratulations, and good luck with your Moves test.

quarkiki2
06-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Ok. I am nowhere near the level most of you are and I haven't OFFICIALLY passed the test, but I am not an Alpha skater anymore!

My instructor told me last night that I could move to the next class (Beta) if I wanted to do so. I didn't really think that my left over right forward crossovers were where I wanted them yet, but I am pleased that I'll get to start working on more things! YAY! I will take the Alpha test officially at the end of the session.

Currently, there is only one other person in my group lesson and he's a pre-Alpha so we're already working on different things -- so when my instructor told me that I could a) go to the next calss where there are more people or b) stay in my class and just work on the next set of elements, I natuarally chose to stay where I was. With only one other person in my group, it's crazy to pass up a semi-private lesson. She doesn't seem to have any issue sliptting her time between the two of us, so I think I'm really going to enjoy the next six weeks!

I know it's not much, but I'm thrilled!!!! :D I don't expect to pass Beta this session (5 1/2 hour lessons left before testing), but there's a summer camp for just adults at the end of July (lessons five nights in a row for an hour!) and I hope that I'll be able to test Beta after that. We'll see!

It was my goal to take only 3 Alpha lessons before moving up to Beta stuff this session and I ended up only taking 2! Yay!

kar5162
06-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Congrats mkcrazy and good luck with moves.

[quote:6b9408591b="quarkiki2"]I didn't really think that my left over right forward crossovers were where I wanted them yet, but I am pleased that I'll get to start working on more things! [/quote:6b9408591b]

And congrats quarkiki2. And don't worry about those left over right forward crossovers...as you'll learn soon enough, no skill can ever be good enough - they just keep getting better and better. You start them in ISI or USFSA basic skills...then they show up on the first standard USFSA test (Pre-Preliminary). They're back on Preliminary, in a different sorts of verions on Pre-Juvenile, Juvenile, and Novice. Then you have big power circles of them on Intermediate and Junior...you just can't get away from making them better. :) Already they're probably much better than they were a few weeks ago and by the end of the summer, no doubt you will still think they can be better, but they will be greatly improved.

Kim

dcden
06-17-2002, 01:26 PM
During my transition from FSWorld to this board (June 1) I passed the Adult Gold FS. What a relief!

I am in retrospect very grateful for the process of preparing for the gold test, as it forced me to work on some things in my skating that were not very strong.

Good luck to all skaters testing soon, especially the adults looking to test before the inception of Adult MIF in September.

Michigansk8er
06-17-2002, 06:27 PM
dcden,

Congrats!!!! That is just TERRIFIC!!!!! :D :D :D

That is my goal, but it will have to be post-moves. Little stumbling block called an axel.

KJD
06-18-2002, 01:53 PM
dcden,
Congratulations! Can I ask you a question. What were the things that it forced you to work harder on? I am trying to take my gold test as well before the moves deadline and its going to be tight. My axel is probably the biggest stumbling block as I can do it about 80% of the time on the line but when moving its either there really well, or down to about 20%.

Kate

dcden
06-18-2002, 02:44 PM
My problems were not in the jumps but in the footwork and spins, especially the spin combo. All of May was basically a spin month for me. Remember that the spin combo requires a change of foot and position. I used a forward camel back sit, but I've also seen forward camel forward sit back sit.

Hard to say what the judges really look for... I don't know if my test panel is indicative of most test panels, and I don't really know what their expectations were going into the test. But here's a good link to general test expectations:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/singles_how_test_conduct.htm

Kate I know this may be kind of late for you, but as a general rule for all, if possible I would also advise you to sit in on other test sessions, or ask other adult skaters in your area (are there any?) how their tests have gone in the past. You may find that skaters tend to have the same difficulties on certain tests. For example, at my club, I think the back spin was a tricky element on the Bronze test, and the camel spin the tricky element on the Silver test. Most of the posters here (and on FSW) have identified the Axel as the Big Element on the Gold test. Of course, every skater has her/his own strengths/weaknesses, but it's still good to know what precedents or patterns there are, because I'm sure the judges are well aware of these patterns as well. Remember that judges are human too and if they see a wonderful spin when they were expecting a sloppy one, that could count for a lot if the overall mark is on the borderline.

KJD
06-18-2002, 04:45 PM
dcden,
Thanks for the timely reply. Unfortunately there are not really any adult skaters in freestyle at the gold level in my area. There are some in Houston (I'm in Dallas) but to the best of my knowledge, my silver FS test was the last, highest adult fs test passed here, and I think their gold test were passed quite some time ago. There are a couple of folks at the bronze and pre-bronze level, but that's it. My spins are average, so no question those will require work. I'm also planning a camel back sit although I've been doing a camel/sit/back sit a lot longer and am more comfortable with it. I think if I can destress on the axel, it will be more consistant and I should be ok. But the more I stress about having it for the test, the more it comes and goes. When its good, its actually really good - high and floaty. And when its bad, its non-existant.

kar5162
06-26-2002, 09:12 AM
More good news! I passed Pre-Juvenile free this morning! :) I think I'm done testing for a while. I hate feeling so nervous, though this time at least my legs functioned fairly normally :).

Kim

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2002, 10:45 AM
[quote:1cb080e0aa="kar5162"]More good news! I passed Pre-Juvenile free this morning! :) I think I'm done testing for a while. I hate feeling so nervous, though this time at least my legs functioned fairly normally :).

Kim[/quote:1cb080e0aa]

[color=red:1cb080e0aa][size=18:1cb080e0aa][b:1cb080e0aa]CONGRATULATIONS![/size:1cb080e0aa][/b:1cb080e0aa][/color:1cb080e0aa]

[color=black:1cb080e0aa]that really is fantastic news. I really don't like testing, far more nerve-wracking than competing, if you ask me.[/color:1cb080e0aa]

quarkiki2
06-26-2002, 11:14 AM
:D :!: Yay kar5162! :!: :D

Terri C
06-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Foe me, I know what I'd like to have for the next test, and there's what will probably be the next test!

I'm hoping that , with a clean program on Saturday at our State games competition, my coach will consider the possiblity of trying me out for the Bronze free in August- this would be the FIFTH time I've tried this!

With it being said that I've tested and retried this test 4 times- I'm not too sure about this. My coach wants to have all of my jumps clean as well as my sitspin lowered.
No matter what I'm doing moves anyway- this would at least take some of the pressure off!

Defintely Pre- Bronze moves, in October/ November, Terri

jazzpants
06-28-2002, 12:23 AM
[quote:4ad030e18e="kar5162"]More good news! I passed Pre-Juvenile free this morning! :) I think I'm done testing for a while. I hate feeling so nervous, though this time at least my legs functioned fairly normally :).

Kim[/quote:4ad030e18e]

[size=18:4ad030e18e][color=purple:4ad030e18e]YIPPEEEE!!!![/color:4ad030e18e][/size:4ad030e18e] Congrats to you, Kim!!! [size=18:4ad030e18e][color=red:4ad030e18e]YOU GO, GIRLFRIEND!!![/color:4ad030e18e][/size:4ad030e18e] :D :D :D

Luenatic
06-28-2002, 11:23 AM
I passed pre-Alpha, Alpha and Beta last week. My coach (for about 2 months) found out I can't do hockey stop and she was stunned. She couldn't pass me on Gamma. But now I got the hockey stop down. What a relief. When I come back from vacation ( a whole week, yippie!), I'll test Gamma and Delta.

Not sure about Freestyle 1 though. We'll see.

Funny thing though. I'm new to skating and all so I'm not that familiar with these testing procedure stuff. The test is really informal. My coach asked me to do the moves according to the ISI rule book. If I can do them, she'll pass me. All she has to do is to fill out paper work. So I don't have to travel to test at all. She said she could do it all the way up to Freestyle 6. From Freestyle 7 and up, I'll have to travel up to Tacoma WA for the test. What about you guys? I'm just curious.

I'm ready for my 1 week off. LOL

kar5162
06-28-2002, 11:41 AM
Lunatic,

ISI testing is very informal. Your coach is the "judge". I actually think they can judge you through Freestyle 7 though and at 8 you need to have official judges. This sometimes leads to wide discrepencies in skill level as some coaches are picky and want you to do elements well before passing, others just care that you can complete the element, and still others don't actually test at all and just send in the forms for the level they want you to compete at. Few people test ISI after FS5/6 because the requirements become somewhat strange (jumps in the other direction as an example) and because there is pretty much no competition at this point.

I believe USFSA basic skills/basic freestyle operates in a similar way, though it seems that the coaches are usually a little pickier about the quality of the elements.

Standard USFSA testing is done differently. For Pre-Pre and Pre you may either have one or three judges. For Pre-Juv through Senior, you have 3 judges. The judges are not coaches and typically you are the only skater on the ice during the test, though sometimes moves are doubled up and Pre-Pre free is often done with 3 skaters on the ice since there's no program at that level, just elements. Pre-Pre is an encouragement test so the stuff doesn't have to be done "well", but it still can't just be survived.

Hope that helps a little.

skatesnrides
06-28-2002, 11:57 AM
I passed my pre-bronze CHA CHA this morning. Whew!! My practices went very well this past week and I felt pretty good during warmup but when I took the ice for the test I got a little stiff and my legs got shakey on the 2nd pattern (Why does that always happen?) so I wasn't sure how it would turn out. But I did it! Glad it was first thing in the morning. It doesn't leave much time to worry about it.

manleywoman
06-28-2002, 06:01 PM
Well, after SIX attempts in three years, (and god knows how much time and money!) I finally passed my Novice MIF today at the tender age of 31! And one of the judges came up tp me to tell me how lovely my test was!

I definitely win the award for perseverence and persistence. Sixth time's a charm!

WooHoo! :lol: :lol:

Moto Guzzi
06-28-2002, 10:49 PM
[quote:10da6c2309="manleywoman"]Well, after SIX attempts in three years, (and god knows how much time and money!) I finally passed my Novice MIF today at the tender age of 31! And one of the judges came up tp me to tell me how lovely my test was!

I definitely win the award for perseverence and persistence. Sixth time's a charm!

WooHoo! :lol: :lol:[/quote:10da6c2309]

Congratulations!!! That's very impressive. Definitely something to be proud of.

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2002, 01:35 AM
[quote:dac2b2a6e3="skatesnrides"]I passed my pre-bronze CHA CHA this morning. .[/quote:dac2b2a6e3]Many congratulations! Now you're an expert on it, perhaps you could answer our query! The dance isn't part of our test structure, but we do dance it recreationally, and we'll have to have it for next year's competitions. Now, my husband says it's "impossible" to fill the rink with it, but I think one isn't meant to - isn't the pattern more like that of the 14-step, that goes nowhere near the corners?

melanieuk
06-29-2002, 09:56 AM
[quote:3758adf20b="Ice T"]I passed my Adult Silver Freeskate last Saturday!!! :D :D :D[/quote:3758adf20b]

[b:3758adf20b][color=green:3758adf20b] Congratulations![/b:3758adf20b] [/color:3758adf20b]

kar5162
06-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Congrats skatesnrides and manleywoman! Awesome!!! I'm hoping to pass Intermediate this summer, but Novice seems impossible still.

kar5162
06-29-2002, 03:21 PM
[quote:65ab387537="Mrs Redboots"]Now, my husband says it's "impossible" to fill the rink with it, but I think one isn't meant to - isn't the pattern more like that of the 14-step, that goes nowhere near the corners?[/quote:65ab387537]

Well, I know nothing about dance :), but I think you're right. The USFSA has their test forms (with expectations and passing averages) on line and the dance forms include diagrams, albeit small ones. The cha-cha doesn't look like it should go anywhere near the ends of the rink.

Here's the site where you can download the forms:
http://www.usfsa.org/about/forms/judgespanel/index.htm

Mrs Redboots
06-30-2002, 02:24 PM
[quote:6a908205fa="kar5162"]Here's the site where you can download the forms:
http://www.usfsa.org/about/forms/judgespanel/index.htm[/quote:6a908205fa]

Thank you - what an extraordinarily useful site!

jenlyon60
06-30-2002, 04:57 PM
[quote:3a383f5a7e="Mrs Redboots"][quote:3a383f5a7e="skatesnrides"]I passed my pre-bronze CHA CHA this morning. .[/quote:3a383f5a7e]Many congratulations! Now you're an expert on it, perhaps you could answer our query! The dance isn't part of our test structure, but we do dance it recreationally, and we'll have to have it for next year's competitions. Now, my husband says it's "impossible" to fill the rink with it, but I think one isn't meant to - isn't the pattern more like that of the 14-step, that goes nowhere near the corners?[/quote:3a383f5a7e]

Most of the tests I've seen recently (and definitely the competitive Cha-Chas) have covered the bulk of the ice surface, lengthwise. Looking at the mini-diagram from the test form, the main differences between the drawing and what I see skated are: Sometimes the slalom steps are a bit more towards the center long axis. Steps 10-11 (RFI, LFO-SR) are generally more in the corner of the rink.

Schmeck
06-30-2002, 06:57 PM
First of all - [color=blue:e3175c8a74]Congratulations to all who passed tests![/color:e3175c8a74] and even to those that had the guts to try but didn't pass. :)

Finally, tonight, on our last night of Spring Club, I got my beginner scratch spin, and I passed USFSA Freeskate 1 :D

Schmeck

CanAmSk8ter
06-30-2002, 10:22 PM
[quote:8819ae3bad="Mrs Redboots"]Many congratulations! Now you're an expert on it, perhaps you could answer our query! The dance isn't part of our test structure, but we do dance it recreationally, and we'll have to have it for next year's competitions. Now, my husband says it's "impossible" to fill the rink with it, but I think one isn't meant to - isn't the pattern more like that of the 14-step, that goes nowhere near the corners?[/quote:8819ae3bad]

I was taught that the corner steps of the Cha-Cha go out just past the edges of the hockey circles- essentially, that it should pretty much fill out the rink. The secret I learned was to really use the slaloms to get some speed. I mean, think about it- you're on two feet, that's the easiest (and least scary) place to start moving fast!

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2002, 05:56 AM
[quote:14ab1ba9d9="CanAmSk8ter"]I was taught that the corner steps of the Cha-Cha go out just past the edges of the hockey circles- essentially, that it should pretty much fill out the rink. The secret I learned was to really use the slaloms to get some speed. I mean, think about it- you're on two feet, that's the easiest (and least scary) place to start moving fast![/quote:14ab1ba9d9]

Thanks. Now that I've actually seen the pattern, it makes a lot more sense! I must print one out for our records.

skatesnrides
07-01-2002, 09:30 AM
Mrs. Redboots,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner myself. But I see you got the link to the USFSA site. A word of caution:

[b:849370eeb5]CanAmSK8er wrote:[/b:849370eeb5]

[quote:849370eeb5]The secret I learned was to really use the slaloms to get some speed. I mean, think about it- you're on two feet, that's the easiest (and least scary) place to start moving fast![/quote:849370eeb5]

You would think so. But, if any one part of this dance was going to trip me up during the test it would've been the slaloms. They slowed me down every time. If your feet are too far apart you'll have trouble twisting your hips completely from side to side and slow you down (not to mention possibly tripping your partner, as I did during one practice session). Good luck with it!

[b:849370eeb5]Moto Guzzi [/b:849370eeb5]- WOW! Good for you! I think you definitely get the award for perseverence.

KJD
07-07-2002, 04:55 PM
I finally passed my juvenile moves test this morning. Funny part about it was that I didn't think it was a great skate - plenty of power but a bit scratchy in parts. The test i failed in May actually felt better. We had 8 juv moves this morning and 3 of them failed - they certainly looked beautiful to me but apparently power was the key.

Also I have a question for anyone more knowledgeable about the new adult moves testing structure. We have another adult in our club who wants to test her pre-bronze and bronze moves on the next test session in August. Can we test those now or do we have to wait until Sept 4. Anyone know?

dani
07-07-2002, 06:42 PM
[quote:22d84c6b21="KJD"]I finally passed my juvenile moves test this morning. Funny part about it was that I didn't think it was a great skate - plenty of power but a bit scratchy in parts. The test i failed in May actually felt better. We had 8 juv moves this morning and 3 of them failed - they certainly looked beautiful to me but apparently power was the key.

Also I have a question for anyone more knowledgeable about the new adult moves testing structure. We have another adult in our club who wants to test her pre-bronze and bronze moves on the next test session in August. Can we test those now or do we have to wait until Sept 4. Anyone know?[/quote:22d84c6b21]

My understanding is that they must wait.

Congrats on your passing!

Hugs
Danielle

ps) I am taking my first 3 dances and pre-bronze FS in a couple of weeks!

Terri C
07-07-2002, 07:08 PM
:( My understanding of the new tests is also the fact that we will have to wait until Sept. to take them! Being that hardly any clubs ( at least in my part of the world) aren't offering a test session until October, it makes me wonder why the USFSA made this take effect in September, as opposed to July, which is when most rulebook changes take effect!

Considering that my coaches will be taking a boatload of kids to Regionals in October- I'll probably have to wait until November- GRRRR!

jenlyon60
07-07-2002, 08:34 PM
I think the timing was set to be the same date as the cut-off for determining test level for qualifying regionals. As I recall, that cut-off is generally around 1 September and 1 September is a Sunday this year.

(Probably for consistency w/i USFSA vs. consistency for skaters testing adult track, since we don't have a qualifying regionals).

Or they set the date before they decided to change the membership year...

Who knows... definitely sounds like different parts of USFSA not communicating with each other.

flo
07-08-2002, 09:28 AM
TerriC and other testers
There are test sessions up here in Baltimore if you're determined to take adult free tests before September. There's one August 8th at the Skating Club of Wilmington, and one on August 6th at the Chesapeake FSC in Abingdon, MD. I'm sure there are others around as well.

jenlyon60
07-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Washington FSC has another test session middle of August. Web site says 18 August.

I would advise anyone who wants to test on this session to contact test chairperson and get the application in early. Our last few MITF/FS sessions have been filled up, and with the 18 August session being the last WFSC MITF/FS test session before the cut-off for qualifying competitions, I would expect it to be the same, again.

Applications are due to test chairperson by 27 July 02. See Upcoming Events (http://users.erols.com/wfsc/X0010_WFSC.j.html) for more info.

Luenatic
07-09-2002, 11:13 AM
Just got back from vacation and I passed 2 more ISI tests. I was worried since I didn't skate for more than a week and had to test the next day. But I'm glad it's over. I passed Gamma and Delta. Next thing for me to work on is back inside edges. Once that's done, I can test FS1. Can't wait!

flo
07-12-2002, 11:11 AM
:)
I passed my adult bronze and silver pair tests yesterday!

manleywoman
07-12-2002, 11:21 AM
congrats flo!

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2002, 12:30 PM
[quote:b5127fa3a5="flo"]:)
I passed my adult bronze and silver pair tests yesterday![/quote:b5127fa3a5]

Oh, [size=24:b5127fa3a5][color=red:b5127fa3a5]well done! [/color:b5127fa3a5][/size:b5127fa3a5]

That is marvellous.

[size=24:b5127fa3a5][color=blue:b5127fa3a5]CONGRATULATIONS![/color:b5127fa3a5][/size:b5127fa3a5]

May I be allowed a totally off-topic brag, please? I won't go into detail, but click here (http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/Photos/egrad.html) to find out more.....

Ellyn
07-12-2002, 01:17 PM
I passed the preliminary figure test in 1975 and adult bronze free in about 1995. I haven't tested (except dance, up to Willow Waltz and failed the Ten-Fox a few times) since then.

I've just started with a new coach and need to set goals.

I've been working mainly on the pre-juv moves (there's no way I can pass the alternating threes, even at the standard that will be used for the adult moves tests, yet, but my other pre-juv and preliminary moves are all borderline or above standard).

In freestyle, I can do all the single jumps and combinations, although my flutz and axel are not high-quality, the axel is probably only 50-60% consistent, and putting a loop after either of those jumps is very inconsistent. My camel spin is also inconsistent -- some days I can do several in a row with 4-5 revolutions, and some days I can't get it to spin properly at all.

So the main elements I need to work on are lutz, axel, back threes, and camel spins. Plus on good days I've also been trying to rotate the double salchow.

My stamina is not good -- I can do individual elements with good power, but I can't keep it up through a 1:30 program, much less 2:00.

I've competed twice in the past, once in adult silver at a club competition and once in adult bronze at Adult Nationals. I did not skate or place well either time.

I hadn't tried to test the regular track preliminary moves or freestyle because I didn't think it would prove anything -- I've "been" a preliminary skater for over 25 years by now. I figured I would start testing when I could actually pass a test that would move me up.

Which should be my first more official goal(s)?

- test preliminary MITF (assuming I'd be grandfathered past the pre-pre)
- wait for fall and test adult bronze MITF
- try to test adult silver freestyle before September
- work on a bronze competitive program so I can get some more experience skating a program well before worrying about any adult silver or pre-juv tests

flo
07-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Thanks,
And cograts to the happy graduate (and proud parents)!

jazzpants
07-13-2002, 01:25 PM
[quote:616afdde01="flo"]:)
I passed my adult bronze and silver pair tests yesterday![/quote:616afdde01]

You go, flo!!! WOO HOO!!! :D Congratulations!!!

Also, congrats to your daughter, Mrs. Redboots!!! You and Robert must be proud!!! :D :D :D

Cheers,
jazzpants, who now has no clue when she'll be testing...

lsk8tr
07-15-2002, 04:42 PM
:cry: Yeah, so I failed my Adult silver test this weekend.

The really ironic thing is that I actually skated well. Both camel spins were right on (they were what I was most worried about). I had a touch-down on my flip, but as soon as I did it, knew that I could re-skate it and would land it fine if I had to (usually don't have problems with the flip).

Anyway, got over to the judges when the test was done and was surprised to hear that I had been a rotation short on my camel-sit and a rotation short on my camel...which with the touch-down on the flip added up to reskating 3 elements.

My camels felt great.....I counted more than 3 revs on the camel-sit and thought for sure I had skated 5 revs on the camel...I could've held them for longer, but didn't. They were completely under-control, and the entry edge was strong.

And since their test paper says 3 rotations each on combo spin and 4 rotations on camel....they failed me...I'll try again next month and just hold the camels longer, but I guess the thing that's bothersome is that if they doubt that I can do the camel, I wish I could have just reskated the camel or the camel-sit. It seems like they are the same element and for the purpose of testing (which I think should be "was the element solid and under-control?") I wish they had been a bit more lenient.

If I don't pass next month, I'll be stuck practicing Silver moves for another 5-6 months which means that I'll be competing at Bronze and that doesn't seem quite fair either.

For my next test, I think I'll definately do 5-6 spins on each camel just to be safe.

Just my 2-cents, but still very disappointed. I'm sure you can all sympathize with the energy and stress that it takes to prepare for a test and then to actually skate the test.

The lady that skated before me (Bronze freestyle) only got 2 rotations off her backspin (everything else was solid). They allowed her 1 try (reskate), and then failed her when she couldn't hold it for more than 2 rotations.

I've read other posts where I hear that the judges have been lenient. Don't I recall someone writing in that passed her Silver test, but wasn't able to reskate the camel? I'm very jealous! Wish I had that set of judges instead......

Ok, so I'm still a little bitter over the situation....I'll get better soon. Sorry to complain so much. Next time I'll pass (hopefully)!

jazzpants
07-15-2002, 05:54 PM
lsk8tr: I'm sorry that you didn't pass your Adult Silver FS test...

If it's any consolation...my rink's judges has been tougher on testers as of late. I don't know how much tougher they are on the Adult track FS skaters though, since there hasn't been anyone as of late testing the adult track on the last test session. And yet I hear of a few cases of Adult FS track testers who passed their test...and essentially urged me to go for it and take the Adult Bronze FS test now.

Too late now! The last test session that falls under the Sept 2002 deadline is totally booked. (I hear it's because of regionals, but I'll bet there are a few adults trying to take the test before the Sept 2002 deadline.) ;) Besides, I haven't worked on my program in MONTHS!!! Must go back to it soon...

Cheers,
jazzpants

Terri C
07-15-2002, 07:50 PM
I was comtemplating trying for my Bronze free (for the FIFTH time) in mid August, but since I STILL don't have a consistent and "recogizably" low sitspin or a solid third single jump, I'll deal with being a Adult MIF/ FS "guinea pig" for my club. The Pre -Bronze moves look like more of a attainable goal for me , and it still kills me that I'll have to wait until October/ November to test them! :o

MissIndigo
07-15-2002, 10:26 PM
[quote:0311a15a12="Terri C"]I'll deal with being a Adult MIF/ FS "guinea pig" for my club.[/quote:0311a15a12]

Me too. Just takin' it all in stride though! Hey--if you do well on your test, you will be setting a good example for your club, so you might could think about it that way.

jazzpants
07-16-2002, 01:31 AM
[quote:918ddd2a01="Terri C"]I was comtemplating trying for my Bronze free (for the FIFTH time) in mid August, but since I STILL don't have a consistent and "recogizably" low sitspin or a solid third single jump, I'll deal with being a Adult MIF/ FS "guinea pig" for my club. The Pre -Bronze moves look like more of a attainable goal for me , and it still kills me that I'll have to wait until October/ November to test them! :o[/quote:918ddd2a01]
Ummm...if you have already passed pre-Bronze FS, aren't you supposed to be taking the Adult [color=blue:918ddd2a01][b:918ddd2a01]BRONZE[/b:918ddd2a01][/color:918ddd2a01] moves and not the [color=red:918ddd2a01][b:918ddd2a01]PRE-BRONZE[/b:918ddd2a01][/color:918ddd2a01] Moves??? :?

I sympathize with you on being a Adult Moves/FS "guinea pig" for my club. I'm still working (more like struggling) on those nasty Adult Bronze Moves elements. However, I don't really think of it as being a "guinea pig." If anything, I'd rather think of it as a nice training ground to improve on my overall skating! Hopefully, when I do go out and skate competitively again, the judges will ignore the fact that I don't have a lutz but that I have very good overall skating skills. [1]

Cheers,
jazzpants

[1] Okay! The REAL reason is that the likelihood that I get a lutz by the end of the year is slim to none compared to passing the Adult Bronze moves! :P :wink:

Yazmeen
07-16-2002, 09:12 AM
Annabel: The grad pictures are lovely!! I just adore your Spanish/Argentinian hat!!! Emily is quite the beautiful, beaming graduate!

Congratulations to Emily and to all you test passers!!! You give me hope for my future tests!!

Hugs,

Beth

flo
07-16-2002, 10:40 AM
lsk8r
The higher the tests get, the pickier the judges. The silver test is a difficult one, and the most frequent reason for not passing that I hear is the number of revolutions in the spins. One thing to remember is that the count begins once you're in the spin position. On my silver test I did the cammel - sit fine, and then totally popped out of the cammel. I had no doubt about that one. I had a re-skate on the cammel, and it was fine. What was interesting was looking at the judging sheets and the different number of revolutions counted by the various judges - from 4-7. So your plan to add a few extra revolutions is a good one. For my recent test I looked at the judges manual for pairs and singles, and there was a discrepancy in the number of revolutions required!
Go for it again, you'll get it.

LoopLoop
07-16-2002, 10:49 AM
When I took my silver test this spring I had to reskate my combination spin. I did camel-sit-backsit, had four revolutions in the camel, 4.5 in the sit, and only two in the back sit because I got a bad push on the changeover. Even though I had an extra position in the spin, and the first two positions had enough revolutions to pass, I had to reskate the spin with sufficient revolutions in each position. (On the reskate I held the back sit for 5 revolutions to be safe.)

You just never know with judges. :roll:

KJD
07-16-2002, 11:38 AM
ISK8er,
Don' despair. I failed my silver fs test last July for the same reason. Retook it in November and passed but had to reskate the camel-sit. I was apparently 1/4 rotation short on the camel but still passed on the other mark. I can relate on another front though. I'm trying to pass my Gold test by Sept. 1 and am getting better at getting through 2:40 but today tried to put my axel where it goes in the program with music and lost the bloody axel - after landing it moving in that exact same spot all morning but with no music. Amazing what a little stress does to an element. I really want to pass this thing but I may be relegated to the moves first. The only silver lining is that they are mostly intermediate moves which I'm already working on for the intermediate test. But I'm annoyed that I have to push before I'm probably ready to pass.

blue111moon
07-16-2002, 12:30 PM
The judges also know that a lot of people are trying to beat the deadline (we went through this when they redesigned all the tests some years back and every year as skaters of all levels try to beat the deadline for Qualifying entries). I think the judges get stricter closer to any deadline and the rotations-in-position has always been the sticking point at Silver.

I also know the "guinea pig" feeling. I was one of the first Adults to take the orginal adults tests when they were put in in 1991. I had 9 judges watching my Bronze Figure Test (plus two test chairs and an assortment of coaches at the boards) and 7 judges watching my Bronze Free. They were still in the process of "building a picture" of what they expected an Adult to do and it was the first time some of them had seen an adult test at all so I think they were a little easier on me than they would have been a year or two later.

In a way, that was good for me. I passed easily - and the Silver Free too. And it made testing kind of fun and not so scary. But what I did then is nothing compared to what has become standard now. The bar has been raised - several times! - and judges know to expect more from adults now. So as much as I wish I hadn't taken those tests so soon (I was tired of being held to the standard for kids), I still don't envy people testing now, when passing is so much tougher.

Good luck to everyone.

Terri C
07-16-2002, 03:18 PM
[quote:064151f322="jazzpants"][quote:064151f322="Terri C"]I was comtemplating trying for my Bronze free (for the FIFTH time) in mid August, but since I STILL don't have a consistent and "recogizably" low sitspin or a solid third single jump, I'll deal with being a Adult MIF/ FS "guinea pig" for my club. The Pre -Bronze moves look like more of a attainable goal for me , and it still kills me that I'll have to wait until October/ November to test them! :o[/quote:064151f322]
Ummm...if you have already passed pre-Bronze FS, aren't you supposed to be taking the Adult [color=blue:064151f322][b:064151f322]BRONZE[/b:064151f322][/color:064151f322] moves and not the [color=red:064151f322][b:064151f322]PRE-BRONZE[/b:064151f322][/color:064151f322] Moves??? :?

Jazzpants, when the tests first came out, I was eager to granfather, but since I've only taken one MIF, back in 1997, my coaches strongly advised me not to grandfather. Since working on the alternating three turns, I've seen a big difference in my salchow. Before that, when I first started working on them I couldn't hold a three turn. My back and forward crossover have improved also, no more toe pushes!

I sympathize with you on being a Adult Moves/FS "guinea pig" for my club. I'm still working (more like struggling) on those nasty Adult Bronze Moves elements. However, I don't really think of it as being a "guinea pig." If anything, I'd rather think of it as a nice training ground to improve on my overall skating! Hopefully, when I do go out and skate competitively again, the judges will ignore the fact that I don't have a lutz but that I have very good overall skating skills. [1]

Cheers,
jazzpants

[1] Okay! The REAL reason is that the likelihood that I get a lutz by the end of the year is slim to none compared to passing the Adult Bronze moves! :P :wink:[/quote:064151f322][quote:064151f322][/quote:064151f322][quote:064151f322][/quote:064151f322]

Luenatic
07-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Just passed ISI Freestyle 1 last night. What a relief! Maybe I'll try the ISI Adult Champ this year. :o

sk8pics
07-26-2002, 09:41 AM
I passed my Adult pre-bronze freestyle test this morning! :D I wasn't that nervous because I didn't think I would pass because of my rather pitiful 1-foot spin, but somehow I guess the test as a whole was good enough. Very fair judge, who gave me constructive criticism as well as compliments. She actually commented I had good posture!

Pat

kar5162
07-26-2002, 09:56 AM
:) Congratulations Pat - that's fantastic.

Kim

dani
07-26-2002, 10:13 AM
[quote:970bffb58a="sk8pics"]I passed my Adult pre-bronze freestyle test this morning! :D I wasn't that nervous because I didn't think I would pass because of my rather pitiful 1-foot spin, but somehow I guess the test as a whole was good enough. Very fair judge, who gave me constructive criticism as well as compliments. She actually commented I had good posture!

Pat[/quote:970bffb58a]

Congratulations!! I take mine (as well as the prelim dances) on Monday.

Danielle

flo
07-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Pat,
congratulations! :)

sk8pics
07-26-2002, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the congratulatory wishes. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I don't think I'm ever going to do another 2-foot spin again! I think the comment about having good posture made me feel the best!

Dani-good luck to you! Go out there and look confident and present yourself well. I think that does make a difference; another judge actually gave me that advice.

Pat