View Full Version : Rotator Cuff Surgery Update

garyc254
11-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Just returned from a checkup by my orthopaedist on my rotator cuff surgery. They took the stitches out and said it seemed to be healing well. He gave me a few minimal exercises to do for the next 4 weeks, just to keep the cobwebs out of the joint.

Then I learned some interesting information about this type of surgery. I was under the impression that the anchors he put in to hold the muscle to the bone was "the fix". Actually, the anchors are just temporary to keep the muscle in place while it reattaches itself to the bone (I had no idea that it would do that). That process takes about 6 weeks, of which I've completed 2-1/2.

So in the meantime, I am not supposed to lift my upper arm at all. Anything I can do with my elbow tucked at my side is okay. Also, no ice skating for at least that time period. Any type of fall could cause the repair to tear and I'd have to have it done all over again.

As far as skating goes, it's not the best of news, but it also means I'll be back on the ice soon enough.

Overall, consider me :D

sk8er1964
11-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
As far as skating goes, it's not the best of news, but it also means I'll be back on the ice soon enough.

Overall, consider me :D

This is good news. From what I've seen in your posting, I know you'll take it easy and back back on the ice all that much sooner. Hope it goes well.

Mel On Ice
11-27-2002, 02:50 PM
yay Gary! you'll be on the ice for stroking again in no time, right?

garyc254
11-27-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
yay Gary! you'll be on the ice for stroking again in no time, right?

Hopefully for the first session of 2003. :D

Loved that stroking class, even though it was a little advanced for my skills. I learned a lot.

Andie
11-27-2002, 09:23 PM
I'm somewhat new here, so excuse me that I'm not sure exactly what has happened to you.... but here's hoping you'll be able to skate again soon. A few years ago I had major surgery on my back and for at least a year I didn't skate at all, roller or on ice. But I've been doing pretty well since I started skating after surgery.

Oh and I see you're from around me. I live near St. Louis too! 8-)

Andie
11-27-2002, 09:30 PM
Oh and I wanted to add....it won't let me edit my other reply so I'll say here - thus far I've skated at the rink in Wentzville and the one in Chesterfield. Wentzville's is closer to me and it's where I take lessons, but Chesterfield's rink has much better ice. :??

dbny
11-28-2002, 02:16 AM
I think it's really good news that the injury will heal itself as a result of the surgery. I'm looking forward to your being as good as new and back on the ice in another 3 1/2 weeks!

Ice T
11-28-2002, 08:23 AM
This is good news Gary! I'm happy for you! And just remember, a few weeks off the ice to heal an injury is a small price to pay to be able to skate the rest of your life! :D It will go fast, especially with it being during the holiday season. Take care!

iceskaterdawn
11-30-2002, 02:59 PM
Gary,

If you don't mind me asking did you injure your shoulder skating? I fractured mine in two places thanks to a freak fall while trying to learn teh Silver MITF this past August. Fortunately I didn't tear my rotator cuff, but the section of bone that the rotator cuff muscle is attached to is the part of bone that broke off. I had my entire arm completely immobilized for 8 weeks, then 2 weeks of being able to move my elbow, and then just started physical therapy about 5 weeks ago. I am hoping that I can be back on the ice in January. Good luck with your recovery!

Dawn

jazzpants
11-30-2002, 07:51 PM
YAY, Gary!!! Starting counting the days, dude!!! If you're lucky, you might get a gift from Santa... the okay from your doctor to go skating again!!! :) :) :)

garyc254
12-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by iceskaterdawn
If you don't mind me asking did you injure your shoulder skating?

For a change, I didn't hurt my shoulder while skating. :lol:

I had injured it somewhat over 12 years ago, but while I was on vacation in August, I was fooling around with my 15 year old twin sons and completed tearing the rotator cuff muscle.

That'll teach me to try and act 15 again. :lol: