View Full Version : Big Compliment...LOL

dbny
11-27-2002, 02:38 AM
I gave a first lesson to an adult tonight. She was already pretty comfortable on the ice. We worked on posture, forward stroking, back swizzles, forward half swizzles and two foot spins. At some point, I said "I'm going to tell you what my coach tells me...." and she gasped "You still have a coach?!" To which, I calmly replied "Oh sure, well, Michell Kwan has a coach." :lol: :lol: :lol:

garyc254
11-27-2002, 08:00 AM
She was probably planning to have her triples by next month. :lol:

It's amazing that many people think that you take lessons for a little while and then all you have to do is practice some to be an Olympian.

If only it were that easy.

Integrity
11-27-2002, 12:52 PM
I've had several people say things like "I thought you could already skate...why do you still need to take lessons?" I reply "Look at it this way, Tiger Woods, who is the best golfer in the world, still takes private lessons nearly every day of his life."

That usually makes them pipe down.

dbny
11-28-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by garyc254
She was probably planning to have her triples by next month. :lol:

Not any more :lol: She was seriously complaining of the strenuous use of previously unknown muscles just halfway through her lesson. This woman is in her mid twentys and slim, but obviously very out of shape. I think she is already hooked.

KathySkates
11-28-2002, 04:47 AM
Isn't teaching adults to skate fun? I used to work as a pro and I cannot begin to describe how wonderful it is to help someone's life-long dream of a"being a skater" come true. People are so shocked when I tell them that they can absolutely learn to jump and spin in their 20's, 30's, 40's...
and that I didn't even start lessons until 27!
So you out there! Yes you! If you are a Mom or Dad sitting in the stands freezing to death - come on out! I promise you it will be fun!

singerskates
11-28-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by KathySkates
Isn't teaching adults to skate fun? I used to work as a pro and I cannot begin to describe how wonderful it is to help someone's life-long dream of a"being a skater" come true. People are so shocked when I tell them that they can absolutely learn to jump and spin in their 20's, 30's, 40's...
and that I didn't even start lessons until 27!
So you out there! Yes you! If you are a Mom or Dad sitting in the stands freezing to death - come on out! I promise you it will be fun!

Almost every time I go to skate and stay after my intermediate session to watch the seniors, I talk with the parents and try to convince them to come out and learn to skate. The onces who never tried are all chicken and then there are a few that have medical problems that prevent them from skating.

At first I tried to get my coach to get back into skating but then I found out that she has a medical problem that prevents her from exercising.

It's lonely being the only adult skater in the club.

Brigitte

Blue Line
11-28-2002, 12:57 PM
The only adult, Brigitte? That must be rough! One of the things that finally convinced me to start in on private lessons was a club in my area with a very strong adult skating contingent...and I'm barely an adult!

Think of yourself as blazing a path for all of the other adults who want to skate but think "oh, I don't want to be the only adult out there."

Maybe we should label you the Susan B. Anthony or Rosa Parks of adult skating in your area! (Please pardon the lame American history references!)

You might be lonely, but you've got guts! :D

jazzpants
11-28-2002, 06:55 PM
Have an interesting story to share... Brigitte would be interested in hearing this.

I have a fellow skater from a skating newsgroup who was coming to my neck of the woods on business for a week and wanted to get a coach in SF to take a look at her axel. (This gal is also from Canada as well too.) I gave her my recommendations and suggested to her that we meet at Monday night public sessions. (This and coffee club are the only "adults only" session.)

She was SHOCKED!!! She's says that she's never seen so many figure skating adults in one rink! I told her "Oh, this is just amateur figure skating night! Wait 'til you see the more competitive adult skaters when you go in for your lesson in the morning!!!" She then says "There's MORE!?!?!?!" 8O

Brigitte: you will be a trendsetter in adult figure skating when (not if, when) it takes off!!! (Maybe they'll name your skating club the "Singerskate Skating Club.") :D I'm surprised that Skate Canada hasn't take notice of the success of Adults National in the US!!! :??

Back to Big Compliments category...
This morning at coffee club I asked this one guy "What does it take for me to learn how to drive a Zamboni?" (I've always wanted to drive a Zam!!!) :D He says you have to learn how to drive (check...I have my driver's license), work here at the rink and be a supervisor, etc." Then he says "But you're already work here as a coach, right?" 8O He was very surprised when I told him "No, just a regular skater here for 3.5 years!!!" :lol:

dbny
11-29-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
This morning at coffee club I asked this one guy "What does it take for me to learn how to drive a Zamboni?" (I've always wanted to drive a Zam!!!) :D He says you have to learn how to drive (check...I have my driver's license), work here at the rink and be a supervisor, etc." Then he says "But you're already work here as a coach, right?" 8O He was very surprised when I told him "No, just a regular skater here for 3.5 years!!!" :lol:

To answer the Zam question, I learned in the IAIM Ice Arena Management course that it takes eight weeks to train a driver, and many rinks prefer newbies who don't already have bad habits.