View Full Version : Skating in Eau Claire, Wisconsin??

The Ice Demon
11-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Hi guys
I have a skating friend who is going to live in Eau Claire at the beginning of 2003 for six months. She will be starting university and doing a part-time course. She is a competitive skater over here (New Zealand) but has been off ice for some months with a stress fracture. She hopes to begin training again soon and skate while she's over there.

Just wondering if any one skates in this area and what the rinks are like, are there any good coaches etc. Or if there is a skater who may like to get in touch with her before she arrives. If you can help please PM me or email me and i'll pass your details on to her (she is out of town presently).
Thanks in advance
The Ice Demon

Email: i_am_the_ice_demon@hotmail.com

backspin
11-26-2002, 02:04 PM
On the map it looks like she may be ahout an hour from Minneapolis--if she doesn't find a good coach in Eau Claire, there is a LOT of ice & figure skating in Minneapolis, & some very good coaches. Maybe she could just go there for lessons & have a practice rink closer by.

Intensity20
11-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Mark Militano (gillagina@iwon.com) coaches in Minneapolis and is a world competitor and national pairs champion from the 70's.

arena_gal
11-28-2002, 09:35 AM
They're big enough to run a competition (from www.usfsa.org)

March 7-9 2003
Eau Claire Figure Skating Competition sponsored by the Eau Claire FSC at the Hobbs Ice Arena, 915 Menomonie Street, Eau Claire, WI 54701. For more information contact Janet Krahn, 2517 106th Street, Eau Claire, WI 54703, 715-723-2540.

The city facilities: Notice the mention of Outdoor Rinks, yes, it is possible to do jumps while wearing a snowmobile suit.

http://www.ecol.net/answer/recreation.htm:

Ice skating
City outdoor rinks: 19 rinks; free; open from mid- to late December through winter for limited hours as long as weather allows; many supervised. For hours and sites, check Parks and Recreation Department's fall/winter Prime Times catalog or call 839-5032.
Hobbs Municipal Ice Center: 915 Menomonie St., 839-5040. Indoor rink, open skating Oct. 1 to April 11 during limited hours. Cost: $3.50 adult, $2.50 under age 18, $1 skate rental. For hours, call the center or check fall/winter Prime Times catalog.
Eau Claire Figure Skating Club: Learn-to-skate lessons for ages 4 through adult held at Hobbs Municipal Ice Center. Information: 723-2540.