View Full Version : Dance Two-Foots, how to fix?

ClevelandDancer
11-26-2002, 11:51 AM
I'm trying to get my Willow Waltz and Ten Fox test ready. The most consistent problem with both the dances seems to be brief two-foots between steps. For example, at the end of a progressive, I bring my feet together and have both feet on the ice momentarily before I push onto the next step. From what coach says, it seems like I'm doing this both backward and forward on most steps. He also said I need to push harder and get down into my knees some, though my last lesson I was off my game a bit as I've been not feeling well, missing sessions and stopped running completely and now seem to be out of shape again :( The other general comment was a need to be crisper, i.e., for the Willow, chasse ups on 3 or 6, not 2.5 or 5.5. And of course the omni-present "relax" ;)

He demonstrated and I understand *what* the problem is but I can't figure out what to do to correct it. When on foot A, he pushes right as foot B meets the ice. I put foot B on the ice and then push but can't seem to talk myself out of it! Do I need to concentrate on hold extensions longer? When I try this I usually get behind and the two foot isn't any shorter. Is it a confidence thing? Anyone have exercises that might help?

The specifics for the dances are manageable. My Ten Fox mohawk is great as long as I remember to not let my butt stick out. I need to watch for swingy 3-turns in both dances and need to wait until 3 (another 2.5 problem) in the Willow. I sometimes don't get my heel to instep on the Willow (I do about 50%) of the time, but it seems to always be at least to my other heel anyway. Both dances are still just a touch fast for me with the music solo, but manageable when skating with my coach.

Any help will be appreciated :)

jenlyon60
11-26-2002, 12:10 PM
Have you thought about having the dance video'd, so that you could see what's going on?

Another suggestion is to put the music on (or similar music) and listen to it, and count the 1-2-3, 4-5-6 (or 1-2, 3-4 for 10Fox) out loud if need be. Then go down the ice doing progressive/chasse sequences to the music, counting as you go.

From a stylistic perspective, make sure that on the back progressives, you completely slide the outside foot forward and lift it off the ice with the toe pointed. On the forward progressives, make sure the former skating foot (now the free foot) comes off the ice underneath and through, so that the foot and leg of the now-free (inside) side is extended completely. On the chasses (forward and backwards) make sure that you lift the foot at least the height of the sole of the boot.

It sounds to me like part of the "muddy feet" is related to the timing issue, also.

backspin
11-26-2002, 12:26 PM
The two-footing problem I would suspect has to do w/ your stroking technique.

As the skating foot starts its push, you have to have it rocked over to the other edge a split second before you put the new foot down. I suspect you're putting the foot down, then changing the edge.

For example, to go from a LFO edge to a RFO edge (let's say as if you're doing progressives down the ice):

1. On the last LO edge the free foot is extended.

2. To draw the free foot in, there is a slight lilt in your skating knee--you're still on an outside edge.

3. The free foot is now right next to your skating foot, the knee bends back down again. Once you're down you rock from the outside to an inside edge on your left foot.

4. THEN you put the right foot down, as the inside left edge becomes the push.

Important to keep in mind this all happens very quickly, so the change of edge doesn't actually change the direction you're skating in.

A good way to practice is to do simple forward stroking, flat edge to flat edge, but dropping onto an inside edge before the new foot sets down. Basically you just barely begin the push before the new foot hits the ice.

I hope this makes a little sense--it's hard to describe in writing.

Mrs Redboots
11-26-2002, 02:55 PM
I do know exactly what you mean, although I've seen it more among low-level skaters doing the Dutch Waltz or something. Of course, it's about weight shift - you are probably not shifting your weight quickly enough, so you have to be on two feet as your centre of gravity is not right! Next time you are at the rink, do a Dutch Waltz instead of a Willow (in the UK we use the same music), and *feel* the change of weight in the progressives and swing rolls - and then go back and aim for the same feeling in the Willow. Not easy, I do know - trust me, I do know.....

ClevelandDancer
11-27-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it all a try my next session. I'm sure it's a bit of a timing thing as I've only recently been able to keep up with the music (I almost always count out loud already ;)), but the weight shift thing sounds like the real problem.

BTW backspin, what you wrote makes perfect sense, no worries!

Mrs Redboots
11-27-2002, 11:24 AM
I spoke to my coach about this today, partly because he was asking me to two-foot my back edges. This was because I tend to widestep when going backwards, so he wants me to bring my feet together briefly on the ice before pushing off. So I showed him what I'd seen a skater do in the Dutch Waltz, and then mentioned your problem, and he agreed that one mustn't do it in dance - and yes, it is a weight problem, and also you might be doing what I do and widestepping slightly - and of course I wasn't to two-foot in the Swing Dance! But I was to do it in practice to get my weight change at the right moment, and to avoid wide-stepping. He says I bring my free leg in nicely, pre-bend with it clamped to my other leg, and then put it down six inches away.... He's quite right, of course, I do!