View Full Version : I wished I were young again...

dbny
11-25-2002, 08:53 PM
Honestly, for the first time ever (and I'm 55) I wished I were young again last Tues night when I was watching our skating school. The kids just pick things up SO fast. They have so little fear, and such a small distance to go when they fall. Maybe this belongs on the skating addict thread, as nothing else has ever made me feel that way. :roll:

Happily, it quickly passed. Any of you ever experience that?

garyc254
11-26-2002, 07:57 AM
OH YES!!!!! :lol:

I was talking with a girl at the rink last night. She was working on her double toe and having a few problems. I had to laugh as I'm still petrified of a simple waltz jump. :lol:

P.S. I didn't skate last night as the doctor hasn't released me to skate yet.

Mrs Redboots
11-26-2002, 10:11 AM
Oh totally - there is a young woman who started skating the same time as I did, so she was about 8 or 9 then. Now Robert and I are still trying to come off the bottom of Preliminary and pre-Bronze dance classes in competitions, and struggling with Level 3 compulsory dances in the test system, while this young lady has all her double jumps, most of her dances up to Level 6, including free and original dance, AND she didn't skate much for two years, AND she has a 6-week engagement in a skating show over Christmas and the New Year. Makes you sick.....

Figureskates
11-26-2002, 10:38 AM
me too!!!!

My cracking joints are annoying the other skaters!!!

garyc254
11-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Figureskates
My cracking joints are annoying the other skaters!!!

LOL!!! :lol:

As part of my therapy, I'm taking an NSAID that makes my joints "pop" a lot. When I walk I sound like a popcorn machine.

In another situation last night, I ran into an old skating friend. She's 75, her entire family skates, her son used to play for the St. Louis Blues hockey team, and she holds all of her birthday parties in the party room of a local rink so that they can eat, celebrate, and skate. I hadn't seen her in about 6 months, but here she was bringing her grandaughter for a skating lesson. She was walking with a cane and I had to tease her about skating with it. She smiled and proudly said that she had a new hip installed about 4 months ago and that she hoped to be back on the ice in another couple of months. By God, I believe her. What a trooper!

She's probably lost more skills than I'll ever have. :lol:

Alexeiskate
11-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I know kids who started after I did that are now doing dbl axels and crazy spin combinations. I'm so envious.

kayskate
11-26-2002, 02:30 PM
I think skating has made me more aware of the ageing process than I might have been otherwise. I have watched a teenaged skater go from no layback or 2jumps to a nice layback, axel, 2toe, 2sal, etc. Since then I have worked on the axel and 2sal w/ very little success. her ability to jump is entirely different from mine.

I actually never had an inkling of wanting to be shorter until I got involved in skating. However, being shorter would certainly help my skating.

Actually, I am not unhappy w/ what I can do on the ice. I always want it to be more and continue to work toward improvement, but I am generally satisfied.

Kay

JDC1
11-26-2002, 04:12 PM
The only thing about being younger and skating I envy is how fast they bounce back from falls, even rough ones. We have two "elite" skaters (kids) that take lessons during Adult freestyle (annoys us but no one really feels compelled to complain). They fall SO MUCH and just bounce back up, they also do like 30 jumps in an hour which seems nuts to me but I'm not their coach. They could both really work on their spirals and spins alot more. Anyway, I have one bad fall on my knee or hip and I hurt for the rest of the night and forget it if I hit the same spot twice, I stop doing whatever I was working on.

skateflo
11-26-2002, 06:09 PM
db,

We are the same...and sometimes it really does bother me that the kids have no fear of falling, pick up (or copy/mimic) what they are shown so quickly, and speed weave around the ice and have control enough to not collide with anyone.

Turning 56 next month doesn't help my mood when I think about just how many years I will have left to master all my single jumps! All those decades wasted because I didn't know about figure skating...oh, if only I had started as a youngster, I think I could have done some really good skating.

But when I mentioned this thought to my coach, she looked so surprise (especially when I commented that I was only 6 years younger than her mother) and said that she never even thinks about my age when teaching me. Perhaps because I have a tendency to show childlike glee (laughing, grinning, whooping, etc.) when something finally clicks and I have taken one tiny step forward..

I guess that ole adage about age is a state of mind applies here....it's just those moments of reality that really suck. I don't watch the other skaters so much anymore, except to get out of their way, or compliment with a warm smile the little ones that are just beginning.....maybe someday, someone will return the observation.

Elsy2
11-26-2002, 06:22 PM
I don't envy the kids so much as just wanting a mere 10 years age adjustment....I believe I could have done much more starting in my 30's than 40's....I don't just hurt overnight on a fall, it lasts for 4-5 days or weeks. I am coming to terms with the possibility I may never master even some of the basics....BUT, I am doing a heck of a lot more than I ever expected at the beginning! And a lot more than many of my peers my age or younger. Plus, I'm having a marvelous time ;)

Chico
11-26-2002, 11:46 PM
I hear you Elsy. I never want to be but who I am right now in life, but I would love to go back in time just for a short while and give skating a chance then. To be a 10 year old or so with no worries over summer vacation but to skate. It would be neat to see what I could accomplish. So far I don't feel my body is my limit in skating but my time to devote to trying. As a mom there is only so much time. I totally love this sport and just keep working at it and enjoy it. I may never reach all my goals but I sure will get further by working at it. Old fart or not! I've had two coaches and both have told me they wished I was a child skater.Part of me appreciates this, and the other part thinks, "I'm not dead yet!"

Chico

Andie
11-28-2002, 10:50 PM
I wish I was younger, at least in regards to skating, or I wish I had started sooner.

Lili
11-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Count me in as another who wishes they could have started earlier! I constantly yell at my mom who swears that I never asked to start when I was 8 or 9. However I remember begging her to buy me skates so I could start. She's in denial I suppose! :)

fan
11-30-2002, 12:49 AM
you guys really inspire me. i'm 20 and i've been skating for 5 years. every time i skate i get frustrated when i see little kids flying around the ice, whipping off doubles like they're nothing, and i've been working on the friggin axel for 3 years! but i listen to you guys, and i realize that i have another 60 years to skate!:D hopefully i'll land one by then...

jasmine
11-30-2002, 06:58 AM
When I was a kid, ice skating seemed like a very posh, exotic, almost mythical sport. There is no way I could have identified myself with real skaters, and no way my parents could have managed the expense. I would never even have considered it as an option. But I had other interests, and never missed it.

As a result, while learning as an adult, I was delighted with all those childish thrills - the excitement of learning to skate backwards for the first time, the feeling of standing so tall on your skating blades, gliding effortlessly to music, learning skills and conquering fear, that very first luxurious pair of real white leather boots ....

Isn't it great to be able to experience all this afresh as an adult ...

melanieuk
11-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Oh yes!!!!

Frequently, I feel sad at the years I let go by until I started skating again.
Often I regret being my age, especially when I watch the kids doing things quickly and easily.
Often as in every time I skate! :?? :roll: