View Full Version : Competing MITF??

rinsk
11-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Could anyone who's either competed in or paid enough attention to a MITF competition to remember how it's run be able to help me?

I'm Canadian and learned the senior moves when I'd finished my skills tests and wanted something new to challenge myself with.

I've signed up to compete them at an interclub competition but really don't quite know how this sort of event is run.

There are 3 moves that are going to be skated. Are we going to each do the first move before going on to the second? Should I be prepared to go out and do each move one after the other pretty much without stopping (in an attempt to get some sort of decent fitness level, I've been training them that way).

What about the spiral exercise where each direction is done separately? Do I just finish the first way and set up right away for the second direction or do they usually draw for just one direction?

(Trouble with starting competing these at senior is that probably everyone else in the event is going to at least have a vague idea of what's going on so I'll be the sole bumbling idiot going "Doh? Can I go now?").

Elsy2
11-19-2002, 07:34 AM
My daughter has competed MIF a handful of times in the U.S., and sometimes the moves have been performed in succession one after the other (she would pause between them and wait for the nod from the referee to do the next move), and sometimes each competitor will do one move followed by the next competitor (this is sometimes called "competition style").

I have seen the referee call the whole group over before starting to clarify how the event will be run, but I wouldn't count on this. I would be prepared to do the event either way. Perhaps watch another level of MIF and see how they do it prior to your event?

Usually the competition announcement will specify if the move will be done in only one direction. If both directions will be done, she has done the first direction, then set up for the second direction and waited for a nod from the referee to start.

Hope this helps somewhat....good luck!

jenlyon60
11-19-2002, 09:00 AM
At Peach, they did warm-up for the first MIF, all skaters competed first move. Then warm-up for the second MIF, and all skaters competed second MIF.

There were 10 or 11 of us, I don't remember if they broke us into 2 warm-up groups or not.

Note that in compulsory dances, the referee may rotate the skating order for the 2nd dance... a referee for a MIF event may possibly choose to do that also. (I was at a competition the other week where the ref rotated the skating order between the 2 dances in an event, even though there were only 2 teams competing.)

skaternum
11-19-2002, 04:30 PM
In my MITF event at Peach, the 11 of us were definitely split into two separate warm up groups. If I recall correctly, it went like this:
* Group 1 warmed up & competed the first Move.
* Group 2 warmed up & competed the first Move.
* Group 2 warmed up & competed the second Move.
* Group 1 warmed up & competed the second Move.

The Referee has complete control over how the event will be executed. Sometimes they let the competition chair know in advance how they want to do it; sometimes they don't decide until that weekend. Your best bet is to prepare to do the Moves both ways (as described above and where skater 1 does all 3 moves before skater 2 does her 3 moves). Then be sure to check in early and ask the ice monitor. If possible, watch the Moves event before yours to see how it goes.

Good luck!

rinsk
11-21-2002, 08:55 PM
Okay, sounds good: I'll prepare myself for any of them. It's kind of cool to do an event I haven't done before so have no expectations in: takes away the pressure.

Thanks a lot for all the input.

dani
11-22-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Then be sure to check in early and ask the ice monitor.

Good luck with competing! I don't remember if it was the moves or dance, but the ice monitor wasn't sure how it was to be skated and was trying to get information through her headset. So, if you can, be ready for anything and don't get too hung up if it changes. Oh, and have fun! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) 36 percent of us in the Peach 2002 Bronze MIF were rinksiders! ;-)

Elsy2
11-22-2002, 07:05 AM
The Buckeye Adult competition held in Cincinnati, OH, this year had a new event consisting of teams competing MIF. Each team had 3 competitors, and each competitor had to do one of 3 moves specified for the event. The best team overall won as a group. It looked like a fun event, and those of us in the stands were most interested in the quality of the moves by adults, as this was the first time we had seen an event like this.......and the quality was quite good overall.

Good luck Rinsk...I'm sure you'll have a great time!