View Full Version : <delete as applicable>/klutz Lessons+Practices 17-23rd Nov

icenut84
11-17-2002, 04:52 AM
My turn this week? :)

Positive title - delete as applicable from Kwan/Kulik/Krylova/Kraatz/Kazakova/malepairsskaterwhosenamebeginswithK :mrgreen: . And things that are more than one or none of them, eg. footwork, can be Kurt 8-)

Kurt:

Consecutive FO3s, consecutive FI3s, alternating FI3s. Step sequence from last week. Also 1 foot slaloms (power pulls?) forwards and backwards and on both feet - better. FI and BI pivots fine. Practiced all 3 turns, inside closed and open mohawks, outside mohawks etc. Also, a man who was watching my group class told me after that my skating was looking very good, and very smooth. Yay!! :D

Kwan:

Spent the whole of my freestyle lesson on spinning. Which is good because I need it! lol. Picked up 10000 tips that I have to remember all at once. 8O Am also going back to the 2 foot spin and trying to improve that. However, coach looked at my boots and thought my right (spinning) one wasn't tight enough, wasn't giving enough support, so i tightened it and it actually made a difference, which I was surprised but pleased about. :)

Waltz jump fine, toe loop fine (although I forgot to use my arms the first time, lol), salchow surprisingly good (although still need to work on height).

Klutz:

Alternating FO3s. Hmm.

Still not as good a spinner as I want to be! So hard to remember every single thing at once - as soon as I get one bit working, I forget something else! Hmph.

Blades needed sharpening. Am getting them sharpened for next week though 8-)

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2002, 07:41 AM
I think my skating today definitely deserves to be deleted, whether applicable or not!

Klutz: Me and Robert having a row about the Swing Dance - he was cutting across me in the end pattern, and how can I possibly skate at him when he's already beside me? And then he blames me for it! Moi!

All the same, the coach says we are improving, and even our hold is better. Of course, when I was concentrating on staying in hold (now, why doesn't Robert hold me tightly enough that I don't have to?) I lost concentration..... Oh well, I got out of having to do that Mohawk again!

Krilova-like: I wish..... No, my Interpretive programme is nearly there now, not too bad at all, I don't think. People giggle when I do it, and small children are fascinated..... all one could wish for. And in our lesson, we worked on the Fiesta end pattern round the circle - and the coach pointed out I used not to be able to do that. I was focussing on staying on an edge - I have this awful habit of flatting when I'm feeling uncertain. In the Swing Dance I still can't manage to get on a LFO edge on the step to forwards, it tends to be horrendously flat, but the RFI afterwards is getting edgier. The coach was most complimentary about our Canadian Cha-cha, except we need to get a little faster, and said our Rhythm Blues was okay, too - not quite together, though. But we do seem to be improving. Now, if we can only beat Mr & Mrs P***** at the Dune of Flanders Cup..... :P

Debbie S
11-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Kwan :)

Landed good waltz jumps in my lesson yesterday - it feels more like a jump now and I'm landing on my outside edge.

Getting the hang of swing rolls - just got to get the arms to work w/ the legs.

We worked on lutz setup - a half lutz is one of our skills for this level. We practiced crossovers and the glide to set up for it. My instructor emphasized moving our arms across our body and not dropping them to our sides in order to set up properly for rotation. The good news is that I am not a flutzer. (!)

Klutz

Am I ever going to master the salchow? I find it difficult to jump up on an edge w/ no toe pick help. My instructor told me to make sure my weight is over my left side after the FO turn (I'm CCW) and he also mentioned that it's really a waltz jump by the time you take off. It seems simple enough, but then when I go to practice it, I find myself twisting around and landing in some weird position (thankfully, I managed to, as Gary puts it, stay vertical).

BI turns are in dire straits. I actually was getting the turn technique down, but i just can;t seem to glide out on my FO edge after the turn. And my arms still get twisted around. Any tips?

Still working on the backspin - sigh.

Hope you are feeling better, Gary!

icenut84
11-18-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Debbie S
Am I ever going to master the salchow? I find it difficult to jump up on an edge w/ no toe pick help. My instructor told me to make sure my weight is over my left side after the FO turn (I'm CCW) and he also mentioned that it's really a waltz jump by the time you take off. It seems simple enough, but then when I go to practice it, I find myself twisting around and landing in some weird position (thankfully, I managed to, as Gary puts it, stay vertical).

The toe pick should actually be the last thing to leave the ice. On the BI curve, allow it to keep curving (i.e. don't make it too straight), and the curve should make a little hook on the end for the takeoff. By the time you actually leave the ice, you might actually be facing sideways or forwards. Does that make sense? That's what your coach meant by it being like a waltz jump. You're on the back edge, but you curve it and go onto the toe to take off. Eventually, the turning on the toe will be less. Maybe you could watch a skater on TV doing a salchow? Watch what their skating foot does, and also how they use their free leg and arms.

BI turns are in dire straits. I actually was getting the turn technique down, but i just can;t seem to glide out on my FO edge after the turn. And my arms still get twisted around. Any tips?

For the glide on the FO edge, make sure you're using knee bend - it should be a kind of down-up-down action. Knee bent on the BI edge, rise up a little for the turn, bend again for the FO edge. It should help the flow out of it. Also maybe try a little more speed? (If you're doing it too slowly you may have simply run out of momentum.) As for the arms, maybe you're not checking the turn strongly enough? Ask your coach about it, he/she may be able to advise you if they can see what you might be doing wrong.

Hope that helps!

JDC1
11-18-2002, 07:59 AM
Klutz - hmm, nothing was all that bad my 3 turns have been smoother but it was so crowded on the public session and most of the kids were totally clueless as to how to comport themselves I gave up doing MIF's or stroking.

Kwan - For reasons I cannot understand I can do a sit spin - sometimes 6-8 revolutions!! I actually stopped myself a couple of times because I kept going and going. :-) But try to pull that free leg in on a scratch spin and I end up on my butt, however; that was even decent compared to how it an be.

SKATE MOM STORY -
It was a decent day of skating even though it started off with some really bizarre "skate" mom (or should I say non skate mom, since neither she nor her family could really skate) cussing at me when I told her little boy (6-7?) that the circle is just for spinning and jumping (and it was QUITE crowded) this mom skates out to me and tells her son to ignore the lady with the fat a** and attitude. I was just speechless for a second, the funny thing is I don't have a fat a** I have quite a tiny one and tiny hips, so I wasn't insulted just confused. So I tried to explain to her it's for her kids safety that he stays out of the middle and she said yeah because I might fall on kid with my fat a**. I just laughed and skated away, how pathetic. Anyway, my spins were so good that day that I hope I get called fat a** more often. :-)

melanieuk
11-18-2002, 10:52 AM
klutz
Coach thinks we need to change my programme. She wants to completely renew it, and asked me if I wanted to keep the same music, which I do, simply because I can't find any other music that I like, that I could do justice to, and that could be cut to 1 min 30 secs.

I really just want to get the programme and skate the test asap.

It's only 1.5 mins long and I didn't get very far with it, only the first few seconds. Not that it's intricate or anything - more that I lack so many skills that it limits my choices so much. :(

In practise, I landed my jumps including the lutz.
I could do a camel.
I attempted change foot spins and backspins.
A few backspins were ok, but still only a maximum of 6 or 7 revs.
Most of the backspins are klutzish. :roll:

I felt a bit disheartened today even although I didn't skate that badly.
Maybe I'm not sure about changing the programme.
It could be done the way I had it previously........

Debbie S
11-18-2002, 12:27 PM
Ugh, what a story, JDC1! As a former teacher, I frequently had to wonder what messages parents were sending to their children by the way they talked to and about others. You handled it much calmer than I would have - I actually think my rink has a no-cursing rule.

The problem that I have usually run into at public sessions is that the parents are clueless about what the circle is for - "no, it's not for standing around and hanging out when you get too tired to keep going around and it's not for sliding those metal bar helper thingys across the ice." The parents usually took the kids out, or tried to, when I complained. Unfortunately, the rink guards don't watch very carefully, so I ended up sticking with the freestyle sessions.

Regarding the fat a** comment - when we were leaving COI a few years ago, we got a little disoriented about what direction we should walk in b/c we came out of a side door at our arena that we had never come out of before, so we realized that we were walking in the wrong direction and started to turn around when some guy behind us told me to move my fat you-know-what. I'm about 5'0 and weigh 98 lbs - I concluded that it must be a standard redneck-type insult comment that is applied universally, with no attention paid to the size of the target person's derriere.

Thanks for the tips, icenut!

flo
11-18-2002, 01:19 PM
:roll: Music not finished, and my coach wanted additional cuts. My dress designer is now teaching ballet full time and does not have time for skating outfits.

:) Re-cut music and am ready to go to the studio for final cuts. I skated Saturday and we set the begining of my interpretive program. It's going to be a good one ;). Our show is December 14th, and I have to figure out what, if anything I'm going to skate - I don't have a current program yet. Double salchows were better, and the moves are fine.

JDC1
11-18-2002, 01:22 PM
I just figured that she probably was a redneck and clearly had some serious issues with people either being at all assertive or talking to her children. If she had said to me, I don't like strangers talking to my kid or bossing them around (which I wasn't ) I actually would have understood because some people are really protective but the cussing at me and also never looking me in the face was weird. I don't think I've had any one cuss or swear at me in close to a decade so I was just taken a back.

It is funny how people sometimes think all women are worried about their butts looking big, I'm the opposite, I love things that make my rear look a little bigger.!!! :-)

Anita18
11-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
It is funny how people sometimes think all women are worried about their butts looking big, I'm the opposite, I love things that make my rear look a little bigger.!!! :-) Do you want to permanently borrow some of my butt weight? (LOL..) In ballet class I took a look at myself in the mirror and thought, "Gee, I have a humongous bubble butt! It's this big round thing sticking out the back! :lol: "

Kwan
Went on a skate date (he drove me) and it was cool cause I didn't have to drag him around - he already knew how to skate. :) The trouble was that he'd stand back and watch me do stuff. Sometimes they'd be good, like loop jumps, and other times it'd be bad, like backspins. :P
Back sit! It's getting better! Yayayayay! I feel so much more stable now!
Loop! Wheee! Tried loop-loop and it was less "Kwan" but hey..
Flip! Had some good ones! Yippee!
Klutz
I fell more than my date did. Well, duh, considering the stuff I was trying, but still...
Backspin. I had a couple good ones, and some people asked me how long it took me to learn one, since "it looked so pretty!" Hmmm...maybe they're not so bad after all!
Lutz. Only got all the way around on probably 2, and landed none. :(
Camel. Ew ew ew.....although I got a good upright scratch from a so-so camel, hahahaha...
Anita

Mrs Redboots
11-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Debbie S, I am quite sure your salchow is better than mine - I tend to go round in a complete circle on the ice, then hop backwards! I have given up on them, but then, I'm really not much of a jumper.

This for yesterday, when I had a 15-minute lesson, and then it was dance club:

:D The programme is going very well now. Still one or two rough edges, but I think it will "do". It will come 4th out of 4 on 1 December, since there's no technical content as such, but I don't actually mind - I am a lot more interested in audience reaction than judge reaction at this stage! It will be a lot better by next summer, I expect. Hope.

:roll: I forgot to say, but on Sunday morning there was a huge hole in the barrier where someone had driven the Zamboni straight into it! This was mostly mended by last night, but the corner was blocked off by a bench, so you had to be careful of where you went.

:) Dance Club went well. Robert and I didn't have too many fights, and I focussed totally on being on an edge in each step of every dance (well, I know, but you do see how hopeless I am at skating, really!), to the point that my hamstrings are still feeling it 24 hours later!

:D :D AND I managed to do the Mohawk in the Swing Dance TO TIME!!!!! which has simply never happened while I'm dancing it before. I can control it (sometimes) when walking through the end pattern, but I've never managed to control it that well in the dance! I did shriek - so lucky it was private ice!

:( My inside-to-outside changes of edge went walkabout, and I had a row with the coach. He said I was flat, and I said I couldn't feel it, so he thought I meant that I thought he was exaggerating - which I didn't, and had hurriedly to explain that I was quite sure he was right, but it didn't feel flat! In fact, the 2nd or 3rd try I could feel when it went flat, so that was all right!

My backwards skating is still atrocious. After the Dune of Flanders Cup I am really going to focus on it and learn how to PUSH when going backwards - and learn how not to be terrified.....

TashaKat
11-19-2002, 01:26 PM
and I did some BACK THREE'S!!!!!!! I said I would and I did :)

My reintroduction was Madame hollering "do you need a lesson in how to tie your boots? it HAS been a long time hasn't it?" ..... ha di ha di ha ;)

Felt rather tentative when I got on ..... it felt SOOOO slippery! Unfortunately I vocalised this much to everyone's amusement!

Started on a lap of forward stroking, found that I could still stop ;) so went onto forward 3-turns and mohawks .... and then ........ BACK THREE'S ..... first on THE foot .... it felt SO smooth!!!! and then on my 'wrong' foot (I managed to injure myself falling on my BEST side!)

From there it was onwards and upwards! Started on jumps, landed everything to flip clean (much to everyone's suprise .... I don't think that they expected me to jump) but decided not to do the lutz today .... so attempted the Axel instead :roll: It wasn't too bad, still needs lots of work but not scary and landed in a backspin .......

BACKSPIN WAS PRETTY DARN GOOD!!!!! Okay, it was incredibly slow but it went round more times and more centred than my usual efforts!!!

Spins were fine, sit spin wasn't as good a sit as I'd been getting and the camel was a bit droopy but I was pleased :)

Tried a couple of dances! Couldn't remember the Riverside Rhumba (duh), the Golden Skater's was okay ...... the Foxtrot was fine until I got to the mohawk ...... and I wimped!!! I WAS doing it solo .......

I was sufficiently confident by then to try a lutz (don't ask why I'm happy to try an Axel - that I've not got - but scared to try a lutz - which I have!) I was fully rotating but collapsing on the landing and putting two feet down (safety net)! Need to THINK about the damn thing!!!

All in all a pretty positive first day back .... except that I've put all my stuff into storage ..... leos, tights, leggings, skirts, dresses, dance boots ..... so will have to try and hunt it out at some point!!

All the best

L xxx

dbny
11-19-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
and I did some BACK THREE'S!!!!!!! I said I would and I did :)

Wow, Lynne :o 8O :lol: You did great! Congratulations!

quarkiki2
11-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Welcome back, Lynne!

Kwan: Well, we're halfway to a party -- I figured out the left forward inside mohawk last night! Woo-hoo! Now I can do them on both feet away from the boards, yippee!!!

Worked on the mohawk sequence and can do that on the right side, though I have to stroke like a weenie so I'm not going too fast into the mohawk, LOL! But every time I tried it I did it faster, so that's good! I can stumble through the sequence on the left side, too.

Since I'm still checking out of the FO3's the minute I get around, I asked my instructor to show me how I can practice the BI edges so I feel more comfortable exiting. So she showed me the dreaded Back Inside Edges from Freestyle 1. She also told me not to get too frustrated if I can't get them because they're still three levels up, but I did do them, albeit in miniature, LOL!

Believe it or not, the three turns are actually "fine" except for the fact I won't finish the turn on one foot. Instructor said the edge going in is fine, good knee bend, good motion through the turn but then she said I need to turn off my brain and stand on one foot for a couple of seconds after I turn.

Was messing around with FI3's just for the heck of it and they were pretty fun. Also, once in the mohawk sequence I didn't quite finish right and instead of the backwards two-foot glide to step forward I did a LBO3, but don't ask me to do that again for a while!

Klutz: Back crossovers still gawd-awful. At this point, I feel better about the Gamma skills than the Beta back-crossovers. I'm OK R over L if I slow down and don't rush, but L over R bite the big one. I'll keep plugging away, though.

melanieuk
11-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Lesson
loop
flip
salchow-toeloop
lutz
waltz-loop
axel
parallel - sit spin
change upright spin

Got them all, except axel. Dreadful. Klutzish 8O

I've no music for my next test. I have to find music.

garyc254
11-20-2002, 12:07 PM
All in all a pretty positive first day back

YOU GO, GIRL!!!!! :D :D :D

With all of the trials you've been through of late, isn't it exciting to have something that you can do for your own self esteem.

Next thing you know, you'll be hearing that tiny whisper of "Doubles... I know I can do doubles". :lol:

kar5162
11-20-2002, 12:25 PM
excellent:

Passed Pre Bronze, Bronze, and Silver moves.

klutz:

My actual skating in the tests compared to how I can skate the moves.

Just plain weird:

How different judges can see vastly different things in the same test...on one of the tests, 1 judge passed me 0.1 over and 1 passed me 1.2 over. ???

Glad you're back Lynne. :)

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2002, 12:35 PM
and I did some BACK THREE'S!!!!!!! I said I would and I did :) Brilliant! Welcome back. Now keep at it, in spite of all the other excitements in your life just now.

I didn't skate today - usually the best skate of the week - as I have to go into the office every morning this week while my boss is on holiday. I had 15 minutes' lesson on Monday, and will have another 15 on Friday - I may skate tomorrow evening, we'll see.

LoopLoop
11-20-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by kar5162
excellent:

Good for you! :)

flo
11-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Congrats to Lynne and Kar5162 - way to go:)

garyc254
11-20-2002, 02:23 PM
excellent:

And another

YOU GO, GIRL!!! :D :D :D

That's a lot of moves to complete in one test session.

Debbie S
11-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Congratulations to Lynne and kar5162!

As for me, in yesterday's practice, I was actually able to do some BI turns! The weird thing was, when I then tried to do BO turns, I still couldn't - arrggghh! Oh well, I only need the BI turns for this level (BO was several levels ago, when I could do them), but I would like to do both well.

I think I landed a few salchows. I say "think" because I'm not sure if it was fully rotated. At my lesson Saturday, I'm going to have my instructor watch me at least once specifically and let me know. Thanks to all those who gave tips.

Back spin is still lousy. After a while, I gave up and went back to turns.

Half lutz is "small", but the entry is good. I think I mastered the arm-turning thing.

Landed a couple of waltz-toe loops.

melanieuk
11-21-2002, 09:01 AM
excellent:

Well done! :)

Yazmeen
11-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Klutz: First few attempts today at waltz jump out of crossovers. I have to remember to keep the left shoulder forward and not rotate the right one until I jump.

Krylova: My progressives for my program have progressed nicely. They look pretty good.

Kwan: Two foot spins. Finally found my trouble spot--I spin left, but as I bring my feet together, I tend to shift my weight to the right. Starting it like a pivot without the toe in and staying "left" really made a difference. Also, did the whole program and kept up with the music--I can do it! Needs some finesse in a few spots, but coach says it looks pretty good.

And coming up--a vacation week!!! Badly needed. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...8-)

dbny
11-21-2002, 08:16 PM
excellent:

Way to go! Guess that answers the questions about taking more than one test at a time :lol:

jenlyon60
11-21-2002, 08:25 PM
My first lesson in 10 days. Overall not bad... we spent the lesson working on the consecutive edges and the alternating 3's for Pre-Bronze MIF...

(I must be a glutton for punishment... because I only do dance, I don't HAVE to do MIF. But I can see the pay-off in improved control, so I'm chosing to do them...)

Klutz: Back Inside edges..... If I remember to turn my head as I do the lobe, they work Okay. Not great but okay. Plus getting a good strong strike-off is a real challenge.....

Kwan/Krylova: Alternating FI3s. Okay, still not perfect, but definitely improving. And... I did some smooth LFI3s today. I find that I have to think about setting the body up as if I were going to do the Blues choctaw. Then I know I'm pre-rotated enough. Also coach had me stay upright in the knee after doing the turn, and that helped preserve what little power I had thru the turns. The RFI3 is better...except that I kept trying to do it to Tango timing (turn on 2nd beat after the stroke, then hold for 4 beats...which boils down to turning at about 1/3 up the lobe instead of top of the lobe).

Didn't make it to alternating FO3s. Which because my BI edges are weak, are actually less sound than my alternating FI3s, although the actual turns are technically better.

Next week, I get an extra lesson to make up for missing one on Monday due to bad blisters on the side of my big toe/ball of my right foot. Plus I'm going to try and skate extra to get some practice in before my test.

melanieuk
11-22-2002, 08:22 AM
Kwan
Had the ice to myself for 30 minutes then my friend came in.

Klutz.....spiral help needed!!!
You should've seen my attempts at catch foot/knee spirals!!! :roll:
Where and at what point do you grab your leg? Or boot? Or whatever part?
I was trying to hold the leg first, and I looked like a doggie cocking. :oops:
Then when I tried to do a semi-spiral, then catch the leg, I couldn't find it (my foot, that is).
Also trying to do a back inside spiral - straight from a 3 turn after doing a forward outside on the same leg. How do you keep from falling inwards? What are nice arms to have on the BI spiral? And how do you keep the speed going without a push?

As usual the backspin and all things backspinning were bad. :(
The lutz is on holiday today. I tried it 3 times and couldn't land it properly, so stopped and moved onwards.

No programme to practise.

Debbie S
11-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by melanieuk

I've tried a catch-foot (also called attitude) spiral just for fun a few times, although I really don't have the flexibility to do it right. I've grabbed the blade and wrapped my hand around it, but I wear gloves so my hands are somewhat protected from mishaps. There's definitely a safe way to do it - that's the way the top skaters hold the spiral, and some also hold their leg near their knee. I guess it's just a matter of timing and experience.

JDC1
11-22-2002, 09:43 AM
I haven't skated much this week, still fighting a bug, but I can help some on the catch foot spiral. I can kind of do this and my boyfriend's niece does a lovely one and what we both do is stroke and get good speed (but not flying) and I reach back and grab my blade (I wear gloves too) and as I bring my foot up I suck in my abs and pull back my shoulders for balance and begin to lean forward. Mine's not all that good yet but that's the exact way my "niece" does it and her's is gorgeous. She said the trick is the keep your balance the whole time and gradually get comfortable with getting your body into a spiral position and ofcourse keep your head up!! :-) Sort of curling the leg and leaning the body at the same time. My lower back isn't all that flexible so I doubt mine will ever be gorgeous but once in awhile I get a good position, it feels good and people stare (I hope because it looks good!).

quarkiki2
11-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Practiced Wednesday night but forgot to post. Took a friend down and was helping her and trying to convince her to take lessons. I think she will after the holidays and so I was showing her allof the pre-Alpha stuff so that she can practice that and jump right in to Alpha. She really only has to work on the one foot glides, the rest is pretty easy for her.

Kwan: I can still do the mohawks on both feet -- I'm paranoid that I'm going to lose this, I don't know why! Right side are getting better and left side too, although that side's a little slower. Did the combination on both feet for the first time, YAY! That means that the last four times I've been on the ice I've accomplished something for the first time. That's a great feeling!

Tried a spiral and was able to hit an arabesque position with my leg as high as my waist on both sides, leaned a little on both sides and my leg made it hip high. Not ready to lean a lot yet, but I can't wait until I do -- I was practicing off-ice and can get my legs almost into a split. One of the instructors walked by and said "Oh! That's amazing! I can't wait until you get that on the ice!" So that was my Sasha Cohen moment of the day, LOL!

Klutz: Well, like Sasha Cohen of two years ago, I may be able to dazzle you with my lovely positions, but my feet are abysmal -- back crossovers still scratchy and uncontrolled. At this rate, I may pass Gamma before I pass Beta! Although, I suppose that's not really possible, is it?

Mrs Redboots
11-23-2002, 10:07 AM
This is for yesterday evening:

Klutz: The Zamboni had broken down (again), and the ice hadn't been cut since early morning, so was almost unskateable. The session was also pretty crowded with muggles, as well as people practising for the Winter Festival - including one child in a wheelchair disguised as R2D2 for a "Star Wars" group! Mum, who was pushing her, was C3PO, but the effect was rather spoilt by Mum's gold tights slipping down showing white elastic..... she said she'd have to sew them to her shorts on the day.

My own programme runthrough went very well, despite being (correctly) stopped by the skate marshal reminding me I mustn't wear a hat on the ice - he apologised profusely when he realised it was part of my costume! But he was quite right, so I took it off and only wore it during my actual lesson.

After one programme runthrough my coach told me all the bits where it needed polishing - as I pointed out, not news to me! It wasn't really worth running through it again, though, as the ice was so awful that my spiral, which is supposed to take me diagonally across the rink from the hockey circle in one corner to at least the centre circle, and slightly past it, barely got to the perimeter of the centre hockey circle! Ah well.

He then said "Exercises", so I asked him to work on my back stroking (yet again) from first principles. I still find it really hard to get any speed when going backwards. After I'd done a lap, he said "If you were pushing like that on good ice, I guarantee you would have chickened out by now and allowed your bodyweight to come forward to slow you down!" He knows me too well.....

Un-klutz: Not a lot, it wasn't that sort of day! Maybe tomorrow will be better - assuming we have decent ice, which is a very big assumption. Roll on the new management!

TashaKat
11-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by melanieuk
You should've seen my attempts at catch foot/knee spirals!!! :roll:
I was trying to hold the leg first, and I looked like a doggie cocking. :oops:
Then when I tried to do a semi-spiral, then catch the leg, I couldn't find it (my foot, that is).

Mel, do you mean the one that I do (the pic on my website?) If it is I go into a back spiral, bend my knee, catch the boot with my hand wrapped around the heel and the back stanchion (?sp) of the blade where it connects to the boot and pull up! I think more of pulling the foot/leg AWAY from me rather than just up .... this way you don't constrict your back and end up with back pains :)

WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY

Continued in the same vein ..... managed a 'kinda' lutz on Thursday ..... landed on one leg, fully rotated but NOT pretty and I collapsed forwards a bit on the landing!

UNFORTUNATELY it looks like I've lost yet another Free teacher .... is someone out there trying to tell me to give up skating? I decided to have this week finding my feet and start with lessons again in the next week or so. Spoke to dance coach, he was fine and will catch me when he's free ..... unfortunately my free/solo dance/field moves coach doesn't have any vacancies so can only teach me if she has cancellations. I'm stuffed now, there's no-one else that I could/would go to :( Looks like I'll never get an axel :(

My dance seems to have regressed the most! My patterns are smaller, edges shallower and my confidence MUCH less! It's partly that I'm still a bit unbalanced (so why hasn't it affected my jumps?) but I guess that I've lost a lot of strength/power!

Oh well .... I'll just see what happens!

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. All the best to everyone and good luck to everyone who is testing/competing and rapid healing to the injured :)

L x

dbny
11-23-2002, 04:05 PM
TashaKat
It's great to see you back on the board with skating news, but I'm wondering how your wrist recovery is progressing. I still get a few twinges now and then, but mostly feel completely normal, for which I am very grateful.

dbny
11-23-2002, 04:15 PM
non-Klutz
Had my blades sharpened to just a bit deeper than 1/2 and found that I could stop on my bad side just fine, but had trouble on my good side. After thinking about it and trying a few more times, I discovered that I am very careful to angle my "bad" side onto an outside edge for the stop, and that my "good" side boot was a bit loose, so I couldn't get the necessary angle. Tightened up the boot and was able to stop again!

Have started working on spins again, and get up to 4 revs each session, but really have no consistency yet and still get dizzy. At least I can now feel where I am on the blade and even feel myself making adjustments as I spin.

FO threes are very good in the power three pattern, with a good check after,

Klutz
but still giving me trouble in the alternating threes pattern. WHY? That's a rhetorical question, as I have a lesson on these every week and could list several reasons why, but can't seem to fix them.

Just met another skater with the same FI Mohawk problem that I have, which is a fear of getting the freeleg into position before the turn. Ironically, he has great turnout (as evidenced by his spread eagle) and does a beautiful FI Mohawk when he does get his foot into position. He is capable of fifth position, which I will only ever be able to dream about. I was so sure that if I had that kind of turnout, I would have great FI Mohawks, but maybe not....

wannask8
11-23-2002, 04:17 PM
(Okay, it’s once-in-a-blue-moon report time.)

Kwan, in my dreams: Had a lesson last week wherein coach somehow got me started on F crossovers (!) and today was my first practice since then. I did a bunch of warm-up exercises around a hockey circle on my own, then tried the actual beasts themselves with hubby spotting me from inside the circle (alternatingly lightly touching fingers and clutching for dear life), and by the end of the session actually felt a decent crossing and a faint second push, even in the worse (CW) direction. A small step, but exhilarating! All the edge practice I’ve been doing is definitely paying off.

Klutz: I had to settle for a very busy weekend public session, complete with birthday party, as my “spotter” is a working man, and it got a little hairy at times (the crowd, not the spotter!). At least now that I’m more in control of myself I’m better able to avoid those who are not.

-- wannask8

P.S. – Good to see you back in action, Lynne!

skateflo
11-23-2002, 07:20 PM
Oh, the joy of skating and making tiny accomplishments!

My lesson on Wednesday focused on spins and we made a breakthrough by having me start with my hips more square, keeping my arms open, and remembering to swing free leg from my hip.

This morning's practice was so rewarding! I actually could spin - quietly and centered - not perfect but definitely much improved. I can now do a simple Salchow and even do a small toe loop without stopping or grabbing the barrier wall!

I even was successful a couple of times with doing back outside 3-turns! Glory Be! I have struggled with this for years and years!

The last 3 lessons (3 weeks) has pushed me forward and I love it! I must repeat, having my coach write the key points down in my notebook has been the real key for me. It provides me with concrete reminders of what to do and goals to work for.

On a side note - have had on and off toe spasms in each foot where the toes actually bend upward. I've given up on the traditional medical community as 2 MD and 1 Podiatrist all but laughed at me. Internet search - others have gotten the same reaction, but no help. Long talk and exam by my chiropractor, said it was a systemic problem, probably nutritional (I have a lousey diet) and need to exercise toes to strenthen flexors, so must now practice with bunching up a towel using my toes...This whole problem of many years was really hampering my skating as I was getting these horrible cramps/spams at all sorts of times while skating, rarely off ice. I guess we skaters love our sport so much that when problems arise, we just keep searching for answers - at least those of us with AOSS!!

TashaKat
11-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by dbny
TashaKat
It's great to see you back on the board with skating news, but I'm wondering how your wrist recovery is progressing. I still get a few twinges now and then, but mostly feel completely normal, for which I am very grateful.

Hi :) Thanks to everyone for the welcome back and good wishes :D

When I first had the cast taken off I was shocked at how little flexibility I had (duh! don't know WHY I was shocked it was pretty obvious). I actually hadn't lost too much strength and the flexibility is pretty much back to normal now (I did drive a 'manual' car the day I had my cast off :roll: It was a bit painful at first but not TOO bad!). I still have pain when I put weight on it (handstands etc ;) ) and if I try and lift something and have to twist my wrist to do it but otherwise it's okay. If I drive for a long time (2+ hours) I get a bit achey but nothing dreadful.

The kids at the rink were only interested in seeing if it was deformed in any way :roll: they were most put out that I had the same 'lump' on my 'good' wrist that I have on my ex-broken one LOL :D

Have got sore ankles from new boots though!

L x

dbny
11-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Glad to hear it's going well with no complications.

The kids at the rink were only interested in seeing if it was deformed in any way :roll: they were most put out that I had the same 'lump' on my 'good' wrist that I have on my ex-broken one LOL :D

Have got sore ankles from new boots though!

L x

I was so upset that my wrist was deformed....but no one else could see it :!: :roll: I needed the kids from your rink :lol: Happily, I'm over it now and never look at the wrist any more.

Tell us about your new boots.

TashaKat
11-25-2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by dbny
Tell us about your new boots.

Same new boots (Harlick quadra-cement customs in purple calf with rubber and lambswool tongue) and new Gold Seal blades (thanks Mel) that I had JUST before I broke my wrist! They're GORGEOUS but NEW and I tightened them up too much on the second day which has bruised my ankle around the top of the boot :roll: My ankles were just looking 'normal' (aka not like I'd been shackled) and now I have to go and 'ruin' them again ...... sheesh! For new boots they ARE terribly comfortable, though, I've not had my usual 'breaking in' problems. I know that everyone is different but since killing myself to buy custom boots I've never looked back :)

MEL - this is how I do the back pick-up spiral!

http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/thumbnails/14720015_mini.jpg http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/thumbnails/3829820_mini.jpg

L x