View Full Version : Silver Moves

tazsk8s
11-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Anyone else test these yet? I mentioned this in the Raspberries thread but thought I would start a new thread to see if anyone has gotten through them yet. My coach and I decided to give the test a try. Taz Jr. is taking two tests the same day, so I will have to be there anyway. So far as I am aware, nobody from my club has taken any of the adult moves tests yet, so my coach and I really aren't sure what to expect. Someone has to be the first one who gets to find out what the standard really is, right? For the most part I feel pretty good. I always thought the back 3's were going to be my downfall, but I am getting through the 3's in the field pretty well these days. Even the intermediate slide chasse move is going reasonably well, I am very curious as to what it exactly is going to take to get a 2.7 on this move.

The move that is giving me fits is the cross strokes from Juvenile, the back ones in particular. There is something very unnatural about stepping from one outside edge to the other while crossing one's legs! Anyone have any good tips on these :evil: things? I don't feel like I'm getting a whole lot of power on them.

LoopLoop
11-15-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by tazsk8s
The move that is giving me fits is the cross strokes from Juvenile, the back ones in particular. There is something very unnatural about stepping from one outside edge to the other while crossing one's legs! Anyone have any good tips on these things? I don't feel like I'm getting a whole lot of power on them.

When I was working on cross strokes for the juvenile test, I found the backward ones much easier than forward. When you step behind, think about PULLING yourself backward with that outside edge. Also, it might help to think about opening your hips to make sure you get a strong outside edge.

dcden
11-15-2002, 02:25 PM
I am not taking this test, but I did watch someone take and pass the test in October. The skater turned the back 3 turns early in the FO-BI and FI-BO moves, bumped into the wall at the end of the straight line spiral, and appeared tense throughout the test. However, all the moves were completed, and there were no disastrous errors (e.g. taking extra steps on the Mohawk sequence, touching down with the free foot on 3 turns, etc.). From what I've heard from other skaters planning to take silver moves, the tough element seems to be the 3 turns in the field.

LWalsh
11-15-2002, 02:49 PM
I'm also preparing to take this test. I think I will take it in Feb when the compeitions I plan to enter are over. For me the 8 step mohawk sequence is the killer. I have no rhythm so my cadence for this is just awful.

The back crossrolls were tough for me for a long time. There's a certain lift and pull timing to them. Maybe a couple sesions with a dance coach might help.

Lara

kar5162
11-15-2002, 04:09 PM
I'm taking this test on Wednesday (at least I hope so, I do have to pass Pre-Bronze and Bronze first). I'm hoping it will be ok since I've passed Juvenile moves.

For the cross strokes - I was working on them this morning. For the back cross strokes, open my hip was a big comment. This seems much easier on one side than the other. I did get 3.2 on them on Juvenile, so I'm hoping they'll be ok. When I get the timing, they're good. When I don't...well, the coach I was working with

I love the slide chasse pattern...it's my favorite move to date, though I don't enjoy it so much on crowded sessions.

For the 3 turns in the field and the 8 step mohawks, I have no rhythm either - so I count...and count and count.

dani
11-15-2002, 04:57 PM
I hope to start working these soon. Other than playing around with the cross strokes, I haven't done any of them. I will be curious to hear the comments, too!

GOOD LUCK!! (To Taz and Kar both!)

I am taking my bronze FS a week from Sunday! (Oh, and the pre-bronze dances)

Hugs!
Danielle

jazzpants
11-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by dani

Hugs!
Danielle

Good luck, Danielle!!! I so envy you!!! :mrgreen:

My primary coach has set new goals for me for testing (since there's no way in hell I can pass Bronze Moves by end of year now.) They are...

Adult Bronze Moves: April 2003
Adult Bronze FS: Summer 2003 (probably August, knowing that the kids in regionals gets first dibs at the test sessions in the early summer.) :P

dbny
11-15-2002, 08:08 PM
I just had a lesson on the back cross strokes. My coach emphasized keeping the thighs together to deepen the edges. To help keep hips open, point your free foot out, which also helps the push. Remember, you don't actually have to cross one foot behind the other, just stepping behind onto an outside edge is totally acceptable.

Good luck to all of you who are testing soon.

Elsy2
11-15-2002, 08:35 PM
Everytime I think about the 8-step mohawk sequence, I have to laugh as I recall my daughter having to reskate this for her test....and the coach giving her "words of wisdom" for the correction....and so I pass these words on to all of you....."Skate Like Hell!!!!!!" The moral of the story is that the judges were not only looking for cadence, but power and speed as well.....;)

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by dbny
I just had a lesson on the back cross strokes. My coach emphasized keeping the thighs together to deepen the edges. To help keep hips open, point your free foot out, which also helps the push. Remember, you don't actually have to cross one foot behind the other, just stepping behind onto an outside edge is totally acceptable.

Good luck to all of you who are testing soon. I find this move nearly impossible, but am beginning to be able to do it. People tell me to bend my knees more, and also, just before you put your foot on the ice, LIFT your toe, rather like you do in a chassé, so that you don't go and catch your toe.

I find forward cross steps/cross rolls much easier. One judge told me that ideally, in a cross step, you only cross below the knee, whereas a cross-roll crosses at the thigh. Hmmm....

Elsy2
11-16-2002, 08:22 AM
I also feel like I'm just starting to get the back strokes right. At first my back edges were very shallow and short...but now with more knee bend I'm getting into a rhythm and the back edges are deeper. I think part of my problem is that I still fear anything going backwards :roll: If I ever hear the rip on these....I'll be amazed! The other correction I've gotten on these that hasn't been mentioned, is to keep the freefoot closer to the ice. I must be whanging that freeleg around too high....

dbny
11-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Elsy2
The other correction I've gotten on these that hasn't been mentioned, is to keep the freefoot closer to the ice. I must be whanging that freeleg around too high....

That's what I was doing, making a very nice arc with my freeleg instead of a nice deep edge. Keeping the thighs together almost down to the knees also takes care of that problem.

My biggest problem with these is that I'm not yet comfortable with looking back to see if anyone is in my way. Having witnessed my daughter taken out by a kid who stepped behind her right after she looked, I'm pretty skittish even when I do get a good look. This makes practice difficult to say the least. I try to get my husband to skate in front of me watching my back at least once a session if it's not to busy.

skaternum
11-16-2002, 03:39 PM

Hugs!
Danielle

Well that's a busy day for you!! I'd wish you good luck on the FS test, but I'm sure you won't need it. Remember, if you fail, I give you $5.00 at the New year's Adult Invitational in January! :) That's how sure I am you'll pass. I hate parting with money!!

tazsk8s
11-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by dcden
From what I've heard from other skaters planning to take silver moves, the tough element seems to be the 3 turns in the field.

That is good to know. I always thought these were going to be my downfall but I think I will be okay on them. My coach has been quite complimentary of how well-placed the turns are in relation to the pattern. If I mess up anything on these, I might scrape a foward inside 3 (must remember to BEND the knees!).

tazsk8s
11-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by LWalsh
I'm also preparing to take this test. I think I will take it in Feb when the compeitions I plan to enter are over. For me the 8 step mohawk sequence is the killer. I have no rhythm so my cadence for this is just awful.

The back crossrolls were tough for me for a long time. There's a certain lift and pull timing to them. Maybe a couple sesions with a dance coach might help.

Lara

AHA - I knew all the years I spent in high school and college marching band would be good for something someday!! ;)

Not enough time before the test (just 2 1/2 weeks - eek!) to try and hook up with another coach, but something to keep in mind if this doesn't pass the first time around.

tazsk8s
11-16-2002, 09:07 PM
GOOD LUCK!! (To Taz and Kar both!)

Hugs!
Danielle

Thanks, and good luck to you! Definitely let us know how it goes.