View Full Version : Canadian Skating question

knocking
11-14-2002, 02:44 PM
I know that Canada recently instituted the Star program for a chance for more recreational skaters to compete at STAR nationals...I was talking to a coach who is getting her skater ready to compete to qualify for this event and she informed me that the national STAR competition is taking place in Brampton Ontario - The same place as the Junior Nationals this year...and I have several questions about this event
1. does this event take place at the same time as Jr Nationals or are they completely seperate competitions?
2. how does one qualify for a STAR event?
3. could a competitve skater with a pre novice or novice test be able to drop from competitve stream to compete in STAR?

IF ANYONE COULD ANWSER MY QUESTIONS i WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT

Madame Saccoche
11-14-2002, 06:30 PM
your best bet would be to email skate Canada with your question. The skatecanada.ca website has a lot of info on the Starskate programme too.

jp1andOnly
11-14-2002, 07:26 PM
here are some of the answers...

STAR skate is basically the old provincial championships. Each province had their own "All-Ontario, All-whatever" This stream was for non competitive skaters. STAR has now made it national.

If you are a competitive skater you can not do this championship. For example if you do competitive dance, you can not enter to qualify for this competition in freeskate. They are spereate competitions.

To qualify you skate at a local competition in your region in certain categories. If you place in the top 3 or 4 you go onto the next qualifying..and then the final one. Works similar to nationals.

Hope this helps

Susan
11-14-2002, 10:09 PM
knocking

If you have a competitive test and have not competed at the current sectional championships in any discipline then you are eligible for STARSkate. Check our the STARSkate FAQ section on the Skate Canada site

The event will be held in Brampton on the same dates as the National Festival Sychronized Championships

Silver and Gold Triathlon and Biathlon events will be held

roogu
11-15-2002, 12:48 PM
I believe there is a new directive stating that even if you haven't competed in any competitive events, but you chose to register as a competitive skater at the beginning of the season, that still makes you ineligible and you can't switch back to STARSkate events even though you haven't officially competed as a "comp" skater.

The change in status will NOT be made available now.

There's a copy of this directive at the WOS Section Web site.