View Full Version : What is this move/element called?

singerskates
11-13-2002, 10:40 PM
Got this weird fast short 3 turn toe thingy going into a toe loop in my interpretive. To do it, you start off by doing a RFI3 and then gently tap in and basically keep your free foot behind your right foot and you go from backward to forward like this on your right foot three to four times and than on the last time you reach back as you bend your right knee and then pick in as you come back up and do the toe loop.

kayskate
11-14-2002, 06:12 AM
I don't know if this is an "official" name, but I have always called them (and heard them called) "toe-assisted 3turns". When I started skating, I remember seeing kids do them into flying camels. I guess they help the skater build fluency of motion. It probably also gets them used to turning, so they are less inhibited when the jump finally comes.

Kay

singerskates
11-14-2002, 09:26 AM
By the way, you don't move your free leg from behind you in the turns until you're ready to get out and/or go into a jump. You're arms are out wide while you turn quickly. It's very dramatic to see. I got this move off of a pre-novice skater.

roogu
11-14-2002, 12:51 PM
It's usually called "travelling 3's into a single/double/triple toe" .. well, coz the 3turns you do are in essence .. travelling. It's quite common to see ...... Baiul did it , Petrenko does it all the time. Like Kay said, sometimes people do it into spins too. It gives you more momentum going into an element.

kayskate
11-14-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by roogu
It's usually called "travelling 3's into a single/double/triple toe" .. well, coz the 3turns you do are in essence .. travelling.

So then what is the difference b/w the move described in the original post which includes a toe tap and three that travel w/o a toe assist. I have heard the ones that are not toe assisted called "sequential" three turns or "consecutive" 3s. Again, I do not know what the official name is.

Kay

jazzpants
11-15-2002, 01:44 AM
singerskates,

Is this what you're doing:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_sj_ballet.htm

(Click on the picture to show the video of the kid's doing a couple of ballet jumps.)

Cheers,
jazzpants

singerskates
11-15-2002, 08:03 AM
No.

Elsy2
11-15-2002, 03:34 PM
I was curious about these today, so asked a young skater to show me "traveling 3-turns". We started with RFI3's..you put the left toepick in and sort of pivot on it as you go into the next RFI-3. The right foot does not leave the ice on these. Then we did LFO-3's putting the right toepick in...same idea. My young friend then did the series of 3's without the toepick assist (which I tried but didn't get it...but I'll try again tomorrow). We finally did a series of falling leaves which were the most fun :D

roogu
11-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by kayskate
So then what is the difference b/w the move described in the original post which includes a toe tap and three that travel w/o a toe assist. I have heard the ones that are not toe assisted called "sequential" three turns or "consecutive" 3s. Again, I do not know what the official name is.

The difference is the toe assist .... that's pretty much it, but it really isn't a difference. The two are essentially the same thing. It's the same exact three turn ... with the toe assist, would be easier done - the way Meno and Sand did them and there would be a slight pause .... very very minute, but noticeable difference in rhythm than the one without the toe assist. Petrenko and Baiul also does it with the toe assist turns.

The one without the toe assist, is probably a bit more difficult to control because one, you don't have the toepick assist to balance you off so you ahve to be in complete control through the rhythm going into the jump itself. But the turns are completely continuous in rhythm ... I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who does it this way but it's as common as the first one.

There really is no official name ... wheter sequential or consecutive ..... they're both essentially the exact same and very enjoyable to see.

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2002, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Elsy2
I was curious about these today, so asked a young skater to show me "traveling 3-turns". We started with RFI3's..you put the left toepick in and sort of pivot on it as you go into the next RFI-3. The right foot does not leave the ice on these. Then we did LFO-3's putting the right toepick in...same idea. My young friend then did the series of 3's without the toepick assist (which I tried but didn't get it...but I'll try again tomorrow). We finally did a series of falling leaves which were the most fun :D Oh, those turns - we call them chainé turns. I can do them quite well in one direction, less well in the other, using outside-edge 3-turns. Had some in my last year's Interpretive/Artistic programme.