View Full Version : fooling around

kayskate
11-13-2002, 06:19 PM
I was just fooling around on the ice today and started practicing camels. I have not been skating as much as usual this fall, and camels need regular work to remain decent. Anyway, the camel was good, so I remembered seeing an elite male skater (can't recall who) recently doing a forward illusion. What the heck, I tried one from that very camel. I did three illusions before exiting the spin. I have never had any luck w/ this move before and have only played w/ it a couple of times.

However, it is not the only skill I have learned by just playing around.

Has anyone else learned new skating skills by just fooling around?

Kay

dbny
11-13-2002, 07:52 PM
I learned both the F and B power crossover patterns by watching someone else's coach demo them. Not saying that I could do them right immediately, but I did pick them up that way. I also was able to do BO threes a few months ago after watching Irina Slutskaya do them in one of her programs. They've deserted me since, but during the same blessed period I also started a backspin literally while standing around chatting with my coach.

icenut84
11-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Yeah, sometimes learning things by just fooling around is good! I have just decided to try something before without having been taught it, e.g. a forward spiral, inside spread eagle, various bits of footwork. I've taught myself to jump in the other direction for fun too :)

MissIndigo
11-14-2002, 09:29 AM
I learned how to do the camel spin just by fooling around. I've always had good balance for spins and one day I was feeling particularly strong and said, why not? Straight away, I got two revolutions. It's only been better since.

ginamarie
11-14-2002, 10:24 AM
I fooled around with spirals, waltz jump and 2 ft spins when I was still in ISI Alpha. I also fooled around with Biellmanns. Now fooling around with laybacks and am half tempted to fool with camel spins.:) :twisted:

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2002, 10:30 AM
I remember once, a couple of years ago, saying to a friend, "Of course, the 14-step Mohawk is impossible!" and promptly doing one! And at least once I have said to my coach, "How on earth am I supposed to do...." while doing whatever-it-was perfectly, causing us both to roar with laughter. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it when I tried!

Chico
11-14-2002, 03:18 PM
Egad! This could be my personal song or something. I'm forever seeing and trying "impossible" things because the thought strikes me or someone else is doing it and it looks cool. I have found that these attempts usually are pretty "amazing". My little skating buddy says I'm lucky, my coach pulls his hair out and screams......and the fool I am still goes for interesting things. =-) I landed my first 2 sal this way! I might add that my coach did admit that it wasn't bad. =-)Giggle, if he only saw half of the things I try! The poor dude would be bald.

Chico

JDC1
11-14-2002, 04:20 PM
I usually choreograph or try moves out on the ice when I'm fooling around. I did something last night where I just spun around on 2 feet but instead of going for speed I used my "ballet" head check to emphasize each spin to the music, it was fun, not sure how it looked. I have tried doing a forward spiral- bracket into a back spiral, pretty hard without lowering my leg. I've also tried doing the Sasha skid spiral but my leg isn't strong enough to stay up as I try to move my feet.