View Full Version : Skating expenses- how to cut costs???

Terri C
11-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Hello all,
Last week, my 1994 Chevrolet decided to retire itself without notice.
While I'm happy to announce that I'm the proud owner of a 2003 Dodge Neon, the expenses of being a new car owner is dictating that I either cut my skating budget, or quit the sport altogether!:cry:

How does everyone keep their skating expenses down?

Blue Line
11-12-2002, 06:21 PM
This college student will be paying close attention to this thread!

Enrolled in the most expensive public school in the nation, I feel so guilty for adding another substantial expense to my life with skating.

However, I also feel like doing something outside of schoolwork is really important. I've seen what happens when classmates can't the time away from school to look out the window, and I don't want that to happen to me.

I'm not cutting my skating budget (as I've only started with private lessons and the like), but I'm cutting corners elsewhere in anticipation of the bills that skating is going to pile up. Skating means less stops at the coffee shop, fewer trips to the mall to "just look," renting movies instead of going to the theater, and making myself dinner instead of buying it. And, like any good college student, asking mom and pop for some cash every once and a while! :twisted:

Good luck!

skaternum
11-12-2002, 07:21 PM
A question or two: (1) at what level do you skate? (2) do you usually skate freestyle or public sessions?

MissIndigo
11-13-2002, 12:12 AM
Hi Terri--

While I do live off a graduate student's income, I still manage to get a 45-minute lesson with my coach once a week. If money is tight for the month, I back off to 30 minutes, thus saving me a total of $50 for the month. I earmark most of my leftover money for skating purposes. I do a lot of the things Blue Line mentioned too, such as renting movies, cooking my own food. I'm especially fortunate in the food department--I'm vegetarian, and can live off $20-$30 a week in food if I buy fresh fruits and veggies and make my "I can't afford the Japanese place" soup and veggie dishes. :) I've also gone without major clothing purchases for the past couple of years. I get just the pieces that I need.

During the winter when my local rink is open, I can skate for about an hour and a half at lunch three days a week for $5, a $1.50 less than the rink 25 minutes away, so that cuts some expenses too. The worst part of summer skating is the expense to fill my car with gas twice a week to get me back and forth to my other rink. And when I was having to commute to Hillsborough--as much as I love skating there--yeesh! Fortunately, that lasted only about six weeks.

Aussie Willy
11-13-2002, 04:54 AM
I can only say that when I have something else on and I can't skate (like orchestra rehearsals), I do feel a sigh of relief because it does mean I save money.

If you have lessons I might suggest that you have them fortnightly instead of weekly (this is if you have them weekly).

The thing that frustrates me most about the whole skating business is that something I love so much costs so much money.

jenlyon60
11-13-2002, 06:43 AM
A stupid sounding suggestion, but...

plan ahead exactly how you are going to use each skating session, especially if it's a freestyle session. For example, plan ahead that you're going to do 10 minutes MIF (and even exactly what MIF in that block), 15 mins spins, etc. Making sure you're stretched out and ready to skate the full session before it starts also helps. (I regularly see kids on the "intensive" program who waste more time than they skate. And at the cost of ice time......)

I am able to skate 1-2 early morning freestyle sessions each week, but have to beeline right out of the rink as soon as the time is up, to get to work without being stuck in too much traffic. I found that after a couple weeks I started making extremely good use of my time compared to when I skate the afternoon FS sessions.

Another thought is to ask around about which (if any) public sessions have the lightest attendance, and if you can skate any of those, for at least 30 minutes, do that. Since publics are often cheaper than FS sessions. And... if you can do the tricks and strong skating on the publics when the ice is beat up, you'll have no problem on fresh test ice.

sk8er1964
11-13-2002, 08:10 AM
If you can get away in the middle of the day, lunch time open skates are cheap and usually not crowded, at least in my area. They go for $3-$4 per 2 hours (depending on the rink) and there's usually 1 - 5 other people on the ice. Much better than the $10-$15/hour crowded freestyle sessions! I'm fortunate that my boss gives me flex time - I come in early and leave late so I can have 2 hour lunches! Also, see if any rinks have early morning sessions on the cheap. Some around here do.

(I just had to buy a new pair of skates - ouch! Now there's a big expense - but can't wait to get them on the ice:) )

dobiesk8r
11-13-2002, 08:12 AM
I'm fortunate that I can skate on generally sparsely
populated public sessions in the morning (I don't
start my teaching job until the afternoon).

I have a son on two hockey teams, with two coaches,
so if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of freestyle
(summer, weekends - I never skate on the public on
weekends if I can help it) I buy coupon books of
freestyle tickets which are offered at a discount.
But I do skate with him on early morning freestyle/open
sessions and the costs add up.

It's kind of a shock when I look at my checkbook
and see how many checks are made out to various
ice rinks 8O

Let's not even discuss a growing boy's need for new
skates on a regular basis :o

Alexeiskate
11-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
I can only say that when I have something else on and I can't skate (like orchestra rehearsals), I do feel a sigh of relief because it does mean I save money.

If you have lessons I might suggest that you have them fortnightly instead of weekly (this is if you have them weekly).

The thing that frustrates me most about the whole skating business is that something I love so much costs so much money.

Aussie Willy,

I know exactly how you feel. I used to skate everyday, had lessons everyday and skated 2 freestyle sessions per day. Everytime my coach didn't show up or had to take off for competitions and vacations, I too felt a sigh of relief that I would be saving some money that week.

I only skate occasionally now but I still think that spending about $9.00 just for 40 minutes of ice time is ridiculous.

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2002, 02:38 PM
We are lucky in that at the moment our rink offers season tickets, which are quite expensive, but they work out cheaper than paying per session if you skate three or more times per week. I don't know whether that system will carry over into the new rink, or even with the new management that we now know will be taking over soon (don't know exactly when), but for now, it is convenient, especially if you can persuade your ever-loving parents to buy you a season ticket for Christmas or your birthday (which I did last birthday - both parents coughed up for a 3 month ticket!).

kayskate
11-13-2002, 06:28 PM
If you do have to reduce your skating time, fill in w/ inexpensive or free forms of exercise such as walking, inline skating, aerobics, etc. At least you will stay in top shape for when you get on the ice for practice and lessons. I am not able to skate as much this fall but am maintaining my exercise quota w/ aerobics.

Kay

Terri C
11-13-2002, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the advice , all

Skatermum, I'm currently working on my Pre-Bronze MIF and Bronze FS tests. My coaches want me to take the MIF tests from the beginning since I've had little exposure to MIF in the past.
I skate 3-4 days per week for 1 1/2 -2 hours, with 2 20 minute lessons a week.
As of now, I plan on cutting down to 1 hr 3 days a week and having to drop a coach.

skateflo
11-13-2002, 07:02 PM
The bottom line is setting your priorities and making a plan. There are some of us that work (like a hospital) that prevents going to pre-work or lunch time sessions, which certainly are much cheaper.

Take a serious look at your skating schedule - do you really need to be on the ice so often? And as was said, are your utilizing your ice time wisely? How often do you need a private lesson? Perhaps you could reduce it to once every 2 weeks. Not knowing your level, are group lessons offered? Would there be another skater with your coach that would be willing to share a lesson? Are you buying snacks at the rink? Are you spending too much on skating clothes, hosery, gloves, etc.?

We all fritter away money on non-essentials out of habit. Be honest with yourself about your budget and set realistic limits. Now that you have car payments that must be rather hefty, it is a good time to set up a budget plan and then stick with it! Any chance of getting a part-time job, working at the rink (in exchange for ice time)or elsewhere?

Terri C
11-13-2002, 07:09 PM
Flo,
I do work at a hospital! And I do get one day off during the week, sine I work every other weekend!
The Adult Freestyle class is guess when - on Monday mornings- when most adutls work, icnluding me! I'll heve to look into the evening group classes. I may look into the Wednesday night dance class. I'll meet with my coaches tommorow and go from there.
I do know this though- until this all settles down- no testing or competing for me!

Andie
11-13-2002, 10:16 PM
I guess what other people have already said.... I also am very frustrated that the activity I like most costs SOO much. :evil: :cry: My mom pays most of it for now, and I don't like burdening her (even though she says I deserve to skate) and am worried about when I have to pay it myself.

For the past couple of months I was doing private lessons once a week for $15 each and every once in awhile I'd go to a public session, which costs $5 for 2 hours. On Friday the 15th of this month, I'll try a group lesson, which will be this Fri and the next 3-4 Fridays. That'll only cost $26 for the entire session. I know private lessons are typically better, but I gotta take a break from them, and since there's only 2-3 other people enrolled in the group with me it shouldn't be too bad.

Aussie Willy
11-14-2002, 05:36 PM
I suppose I am going to ad an ethical point here, but it annoys me when people comment about why you spend money on skating, when they probably go out to dinner a lot, spend money on wine and do other things that you don't do because you enjoy skating and it does become part of your social life because of the friends you make, as well as keeping you healthy.

I just remember years ago my father commenting about why I spent money on skating when he used to spend a lot more on gambling - need I say more!!!

skaternum
11-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Terri C
Skatermum, I'm currently working on my Pre-Bronze MIF and Bronze FS tests. My coaches want me to take the MIF tests from the beginning since I've had little exposure to MIF in the past.
I skate 3-4 days per week for 1 1/2 -2 hours, with 2 20 minute lessons a week.
As of now, I plan on cutting down to 1 hr 3 days a week and having to drop a coach.

That seems like a lot of skating to me. I skate 3-4 hours a week, with lessons from just one coach, and I'm able to work on freestyle (Silver) and Moves (passed Prelim). I think you could cut back, like you're suggesting.

I'm sure you already do the usual things to pinch pennies: buy ice time in bulk (punch card or whatever); buy lessons in bulk, if your rink does this (punch card or advance payment); etc. Is there a cheaper rink where you could practice? If public sessions are cheaper than freestyle sessions, could you substitute one a week for a freestyle session, provided you can practice your freestyle elements on a public session.

Good luck...
skaternum

Aussie Willy
11-15-2002, 05:42 AM
Hey Terri C - today I just brought myself a brand new 2002 Nissan Pulsar - I think I will have to join your club and might have to give up some of those skating lessons. However I got it because I will setting up a driving school and teaching learner drivers.

LoopLoop
11-15-2002, 09:30 AM
If possible at your rink, skate some public sessions instead of freestyles. And think creatively...is there anything you could do at the rink in exchange for ice time? Or for your coaches in exchange for lessons?

I teach group lessons and because of that I can skate any public session at my rink free. I wish I got freestyle ice for free, but I'll take what I can get, and publics are often fun anyway.

Yazmeen
11-15-2002, 09:56 AM
I feel very awkward participating in this thread. I'm a doctor, and my skating expenses are simply no problem for me--I hope you don't mind a couple of suggestions, though.

Take a REALLY good, long look at your expenses and start keeping a budget, and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. Every cup of coffee, every bagel you buy, groceries, drug store expenses--everything. You might find some surprises in there where you can cut back.

Keep track of your change. Ours tends to go into a huge jar. When hubby and I bought our first house, we went for as small a mortgage as we could and cut our savings down to the bone. We LIVED off the change jar for a month and a half!!! :lol: Seriously, my friend Sharon still tells me one of her favorite memories of us together is the night we drank wine and counted the change, rolling it into the respective coin tubes to take to the bank the next day. (She and her hubby were moving back into the area, and they rented the house we were in after we moved out).

Be honest with yourself about what means the most to you and what you really want to spend your "non food/clothing/shelter" money on. One of my skating buddies wants to skate, but she is a shopaholic (somewhat related to her history of depression). She was half in tears six months ago because of a "belt tightening" at her job, and she thought she might have to quite skating; yet, she still was shopping like a madwoman on eBay. An impulse purchase of a figurine on eBay when she was feeling low cost her the same amount, as nearly A DOZEN HOURS OF ICE TIME OR FIVE LESSONS!!!! While I understand her illness, she has put herself into serious debt over and over again and done nothing (like a recommendation from a financial advisor to get a second job or change jobs) to solve the problem, and she's not garnering much sympathy from her friends anymore with her crazy spending habits. Again, you must figure out what's important to you and where you want your money to go.

Cut back on gifts and holiday shopping where you can. Those who love you, love you for YOU, not the material things you give them. You can always make cookies, or offer "backrub" coupons, etc., and other things that don't cost a lot but are very caring.

We've all been there, stretching the dollars to live and get something we want. Good luck.

Hugs,

Beth

mikawendy
11-15-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
Take a REALLY good, long look at your expenses and start keeping a budget, and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. Every cup of coffee, every bagel you buy, groceries, drug store expenses--everything. You might find some surprises in there where you can cut back.

I agree with Beth. The book "The Truth About Money" by Ric Edelman says to do just this. He's got good tips for cutting corners and watching spending. You can probably find this book in the public library.

And some public libraries lend videos for free, as opposed to $4 per rental at the video store...

Another area that I pinch in is that I only buy used cars, never new. The value of a new car depreciates the most in the first year of owning it, so you're paying a lot to have a car that no one has owned before. Also, most insurance companies in the U.S. require that a newer car be insured at a higher rate for comprehensive and collision than an older car would be, resulting in higher premiums for the car owner. If you can find a reliable model and year of car (check Consumer Reports) and a dealer that offers a bit of a warranty and if you get the car checked out by a reliable INDEPENDENT (i.e., NOT the one the dealer uses) mechanic, then you can protect yourself against getting a lemon or a troublesome car.

Also consider ALWAYS brownbagging your lunch if you work. Spending $7-$10 per day to order in or to go out to lunch at work can *really* add up (that's more than one public skate per day!)

Terri C
11-15-2002, 06:32 PM
Here's a update!
Both coaches were VERY understanding when I discussed the issue with them yesterday! In fact, the coach I'm having to drop told me I needed a new car!

The good news is I was able to get a pretty good amount for my old car! I paid off my favorite ( and only) department store credit card with some of the money, and put some into the account that my car payments will be drawn from!

I already brown -bag ( or purple bag ) my lunch to work- hospital cafeteria food ( I'm sure Yazmeen and Flo will agree) can be YEECH!

Thanks for all of the support from everyone- there were some good ideas out there!

AussieWilly- enjoy your new car!

vesperholly
11-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Well, specifically due to skating:

- bead your own dresses - it's quite easy!
- recycle tights - ones with holes in the toes could easily be worn as the second "over" pair if you just cut off the feet
- don't enter competitions more than X hours away or over $X
- research getting things for trade

I had to cut back this year. I am working on Novice MITF/Silver dance and I skate 5 hours a week (one a day/Sat-Wed). One lesson a week from MITF coach and one a week from Dance coach.

I usually compete pretty frequently, but this year I didn't even enter my home club's competition - it was $50 just for solo dance, I don't think so! I'm saving up for Adult Sectionals which is $80 but it's a big event so, special occassion. I'm getting a new competition dress done but I'm doing the woman's website in exchange for two competition dresses and three practice dresses.

Also, budget your skating sessions so you get the most out of them as you can. Make sure you arrive early and prepared with everything you need so you can step on the ice the second the session starts. Don't sign up for 50-min sessions if they charge the same as a 60-min one - my club does this and it drives me up the wall. It's usually because an ice wipe is included in the hour - but if the ice wipe is after the session, we're paying for someone else's wipe!

Jocelyn

Yazmeen
11-20-2002, 09:34 AM
Terri: I hear ya!!! My lunches are usually leftovers, or like today, Lean Cuisines/Smart Ones/Healthy choice entrees, bought only when they're on sale, by the way. Some habits never die--my husband jokes that I map my shopping at Express like wargames, with my coupons, discounts and "Fastcash." Coach and I exchange extra coupons for Express and The Limited, even!!! Medical career or not, I rarely pay full price for anything, not even groceries. And designer clothes....pbbbbllltttt, forget it, only if found at outlets for rock bottom prices. I use eBay for skating dresses, or the Capezio outlet near Princeton. Once a discount hound, always one!!! :P

skateflo
11-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Terri,
Glad to hear the good news! And am so proud of you for setting your priorities (paying off that credit card and putting money into the account for the car payments) - well done!

Yes, hospital food sucks and ours has gotten worse every year.

You didn't tell us what type of skating (how often, testing, competing, etc.) you had been doing up till now but perhaps you can use this time to focus on perfecting (if there is such a thing....) some of your skating skills - speed, flow, edge control and writing down short and long range goals. Practice wear can be anything you want. Remember care of your boots and blades must be your highest priority. Even the elite these days are taking time off from competing.....

Anyway you decide to do it will help you in the long run - consider it a life lesson and a memory you will have all your life, how you rose to the challenge of keeping skating in your life!