View Full Version : Boot question

BigB0882
11-12-2002, 01:25 AM
I have a question about my boots. I havent skated since April because the rink is only open from Nov-Apr around here. I am getting ready to start going back and wanted to make sure my boots are ok if they have been sitting in a corner for a few months? Is there something I should have done to them? Will I need to break them in again?

NickiT
11-12-2002, 07:15 AM
The only thing I'd recommend is that you check your blades. When I didn't skate for a few months the one thing I found was that I needed a regrind mainly because I'd relied on somebody else to wipe my blades when I got hurt and they ended up with a few rust spots. Of course if you wiped your's well they should be fine. Also it may be wise too to wear the boots at home a few times (with guards) just to get your feet accustomed to them again, then take it easy when you do get back on the ice.

Nicki

RoaringSkates
11-12-2002, 09:41 AM
I'm with NickiT - check your blades for rust, dust off your boots, and see how they feel on your first session. Go easy on that first session - it will all come back to you, but you may feel pretty shaky at first!

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2002, 12:10 PM
I would also polish my boots before wearing them for the first time, either with a white or clear shoe polish, or clear dubbin, or a heavenly leather polish I have which is made from beeswax and smells gorgeous.

BigB0882
11-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't even think about rusting, I am going to go check them right now

They look fine! I keep thinking I should put them on and walk around, but its so hard to get your foot in the first time after not wearing them for a while..hehe!

dbny
11-12-2002, 02:42 PM
When my daughter hasn't skated for a while, her boots, which are custom Klingbeils, tend to feel not quite right. Don Klingbeil told her to pour in a cup of water and hang the boots upside down the night before skating to soften them up and revive the fit. It works, but I don't know if this is the right thing to do for other boots.