View Full Version : Every Skater's inspiration...

pattern99
11-11-2002, 09:26 PM
Alright...need some help from you folks here... Chico...this one's for you too!!! :D Ok, I wanted to ask the general question that as a skater, what about your coach inspires you?? Past and present coaches are included in this one. A little research I need to do for an AP english project....We were assigned to pick a certain type of person and present how they influence people our age. Well, this is where skating comes in handy!!! So, please either PM, email me or reply on this thread...as it will help me get my research done quicker. Thanks bundles!!!!

*patt99*

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Well, I don't know if I'm in the age-group you want, but my coach inspires me by laughing at me! No, seriously - he does laugh, and then that make me determined not to make him laugh....

flo
11-12-2002, 12:37 PM
He works with me on my ideas for programs. He once took notes I scribbled out on a napkin at 3000 ft. and turned it into an amazing program.

My other coach inspires me in that she has the ability to keep the momentum going. She really watches for, and teaches the basics as well as the details that make a good skater.

JDC1
11-12-2002, 12:50 PM
My coach inspires me with her patience and sense of humor.

Chico
11-13-2002, 12:11 AM
Both of my coaches, have had two in my skating life, have inspired me. My first coach helped me learn that I love skating. Lessons were fun and I enjoyed spending time with her. This of course helped me to learn. She's about 10 year older than me and this encouraged me that I could do this sport. She has great spins and is a strong skater. My current coach inspires me in tons of ways. First, I admire him tons as a skater. He's my roll model as a skater. I appreciate what he teaches, proper technique and nice lines. The "better" I get the more I understand what he has taught me. (Is) I appreciate to know end his professional behavior. Even though I'm an adult he takes me and my love for this sport seriously.

Chico

Hope I helped.

jazzpants
11-13-2002, 12:48 AM
Let's see...

My primary coach is obvious... 2002 Adults Nationals Championship Gold Men champion and Interpretative Masters Men II champion with a routine that is um...UNFORGETABLE!!! Gorgeous edges and spins! Still skating at age 41...and could do camel spins better than me in my direction, even though he primarily spins in the CCW direction. And he's ICE DANCING too (passed the pre-Bronze dance tests recently!!!)

And lately he has his quirks...like "Jazzpants is gonna skating in the morning FS session." [And I'm living on a Software Engr's hours here!] Or the most recent one... "Jazzpants is gonna pass her Bronze Moves test by April 2003 and her Bronze FS by August 2003." 8O But you know... I know he's doing this because he wants me to be the best out there...and he REALLY wants to have another student of his out there competing at AN.

As for my secondary FS coach... she's like Annabel's coach. She makes me laugh by making fun of me and picking on me. She wants me to be upset at her enough to just do the darn jump or spin so I could SHUT HER UP!!! :P :lol:

My moves coach... probably the best out there at my rink near my job! She knows her STUFF!!! She may be quiet compared with my secondary FS coach, but she's deadlier than she is in teaching!!! :twisted:

Cheers,
jazzpants

skateflo
11-13-2002, 06:48 PM
She is one of the very best technical coaches at my rink. Her figures, Lussi methods, and dance background enhances her teaching. I just feel so fortunate to have her.

She allows me to have such child-like wonder and glee when I have finally mastered even the most smallest of items and joins with me in celebrating the accomplishment! And has an evenness in her manner when I am so frustrated - she would never yell or show disgust with my efforts. She truly understands everyone moves at their own pace and has plateaus and highs.

She is patient, willing to demonstrate for me (I am more visual than I realized) both what she sees me doing (imitating me) and then showing me the correct way. She doesn't stand by the boards - she works with me.

She also focuses on me during our lesson - no interruptions or chatting with other coaches. That makes me feel valued.

I also have witnessed her growth as a human being, getting married, birthing 2 wonderful little boys, balancing her life and family.

She Always greets me with a big smile and "How are you today?" Her positive attitude day after day is amazing (she really likes coaching as one aspect of her life.) Even if I had a funky day at work, her greeting alone pulls me right up into a better mood and willingness to keep trying.

Separating what about my coach inspires me is certainly mixed with what makes a good coach. It is hard to separate them. But I have to add that last year I realized I was putting too much emphasis on skating to make her proud of my skating and lost sight skating to make me proud of me... That has been resolved and we both are happy to be working together again and this time I am keeping the focus on me and my goals and my needs. Her willingness to understand what happened and change some things to help me continue to grow, her flexibility to adjust to the new lesson structure - that has been an inspiration to me to try doing this in other aspects of my life. We teach each other about life!....Sorry to be so long winded.

pattern99
11-13-2002, 08:13 PM
alrighty, I figured I might as well post my own to get y'all going! Thanks so much to all of you that have already contributed and I hope to hear from more people.

Pattern99 speaks about her coach-

Personal feelings aside, he has by far been the biggest influence & inspiration in my life. He took me under his wing and pushed me to become the best person I could become. He saw my potential and demanded that he held every pupil to ‘the standard’. This meant hard work, dedication, and a positive attitude. When I wasn’t performing something up to par, he taught me how and showed me why. He introduced books on attitude to me in an effort for me to understand what negative thinking can do to affect ones performance. He could encourage and inspire me as no other could, would or ever will. Speaking in ‘positives’ was a must and so was respect. He had a hard, no nonsense and dedicated way of teaching. Most of all, when I did my best he was always there with a huge smile, a hug and a “job well done”. One thing can indeed be said about 'him', most wouldn’t consider him an inspiration due to his callousness and non-emotional teaching style. But it was in that I discovered his strong passion for teaching. When his students failed, at times I knew he hurt more than they did and when they triumphed he was there with them and continued to push them harder. He once told me that: Do not measure yourself by what you have accomplished. But by what you risked, and your DREAMS!! And your EFFORTS!! In that, I strived to be better. To this day I have the utmost respect for him and carry around with me much of the knowledge he has passed on. He has inspired me to strive for success no matter what the setbacks, observe the masses and do the opposite, most of all “Try not, do, do not. There is no try.” : So Mr. Rubin, your legacy lives on in all of us who have had the pleasure (and pains) of having you as a coach. The ‘Neil-isms’ will live long and prosper. Way to go, ding-a-ling!

:cry: alright, the memories still bring back the tears of the day I moved away... which in a few weeks...(secretly!! so SHHHH!) I'm returning for the first time in over a year! YAY!!
Anyways, hope everyone gets inspired by these stories and please feel free to add your own...or just PM them to me. THANX!

Pieces!
*pattern99*