View Full Version : Best wishes to Gary

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2002, 05:51 AM
This is just to wish Gary all the best in his operation today, and hope that all will have gone well.

I do hope you will be back on the ice very soon, but not too soon!

flo
11-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Get a good book, and recover well.

Mazurka Girl
11-11-2002, 09:42 AM
Hopefully this won't affect your typing gary. I so look forward to reading the garyc & Mrs Redboots updates! Take care. :) :)

melanieuk
11-11-2002, 11:26 AM
:D :) :P Be fit again soon! :lol: :D ;)

singerskates
11-11-2002, 11:38 AM
What?! What operation? What happened to Gary?

Mel On Ice
11-11-2002, 11:47 AM
I just saw him yesterday and he didn't say a word to me about this!

Speedy recovery oh Giver of Chocolates.

jazzpants
11-11-2002, 02:25 PM
Oh, my! I should be reading this group a bit more often. (Actually I haven't been on the computer much outside of the one or two small posts on RSSIR... I've been busy...) :(

Gary, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you'll be back on the ice indulging in your (AOSS) addiction again!!! :)

Cheers,
jazzpants

dbny
11-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Gary had been having shoulder pain and it was found to be a tear in the rotator cuff from an old injury, which, hopefully, was successfully repaired today. I'm rooting for you Gary, and hope to hear good news soon :)

garyc254
11-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi all and thanks!!

Typing is very slow with one hand and especially the wrong hand, so I'll type more later.

The surgery was a complete success. He reattached about 2-1/2" of the torn rotator cuff muscle. So far, no pain as the nerve blocker hasn't worn off yet. THAT should happen about 2:00 tomorrow morning (in about 6 hours). :lol:

I was in and out of the surgery center in 3-1/2 hours. No serious side effects from the anesthesia and am eating light, but okay.

Thanks for all of your well wishes!!! :D

Love to you all.

dbny
11-11-2002, 08:26 PM
:D :D :D Thanks for the great news :D :D :D

wannask8
11-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Great news, Gary! Sounds like you're already on the road to recovery!

-- wannask8

singerskates
11-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Glad your surgery went well. Also glad that you actually got out of the jail....Ops, hospital the same day. No triple axels for a while.

God Bless from Brigitte

Ice T
11-12-2002, 07:17 AM
I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!! :D

Mazurka Girl
11-12-2002, 08:25 AM
"The surgery was a complete success."

Does this mean we can start pairs now, once you get back on the ice, LOL? :D

Blue Line
11-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Gary, sorry to hear that you’re laid up. Employ some of that positive visualization that’s so popular ‘round here and get some R&R. I can’t wait to hear that you’re feeling great and back on the ice!

garyc254
11-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Well, the nerve blocker wore off about 3 hours earlier than expected. WHEW!!! My shoulder is throbbing. At least it's a good pain as I know it will heal and be useful again.

Tell Mikawendy that I was told to use an ice pack for 20 minutes EVERY hour for the next week. :lol:

Sorry, Mazurka Girl, but I doubt pairs will be in my program. :lol: Maybe dance, though. At least as soon as this heals I'll be able to do a Killian hold again. :lol:

They are sending a CPM machine out in a couple of hours to get me started on rehab. It's supposed a machine that will rotate my arm up and around to get the range of motion back. Sounds more like a torture machine to me. :lol:

Thanks again for all of the well wishes. They are the best pain medicine I can have.

melanieuk
11-12-2002, 11:41 AM
How long does it mean you'll be off ice, Gary?

garyc254
11-13-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by melanieuk
How long does it mean you'll be off ice, Gary?

W-E-L-L-L-L-L......the doc didn't give me a specific time yet. I'm supposed to go see him on Monday and will get a few more details. I'm thinking that as soon as I can't bust the incision open and have a reasonable range of motion, that I could probably skate with a sling and my arm strapped to my side. I wouldn't be doing anything fancy on the ice, but I wasn't doing much of that before the surgery anyway.

He'll tell me what he thinks and I'll argue for shorter, then we'll compromise. :lol:

He'll probably say 8 weeks and I'll be out there in 2. :lol:

A lot will depend on how soon this torture machine that stretches my muscles gets me an increased range of motion. Then I'll have to strengthen the muscles all throughout the shoulder.

They don't waste any time in getting the rehab started. I'm using the torture machine 3 times a day for an hour each session (boring). I started off with the machine set to a 65 degree abduction (basically, the angle of the arm from the side of the body). My goal is 120 degrees. I'm supposed to increase the degrees at a rate of 3 per session unless I get severe pain.

Wish I had a machine like this that would work on the openess of my hips. It would do wonders for my skating. :lol:

If I'm still feeling decent tomorrow, I may go back to work for a few hours. Being stuck at home is driving me crazy.

Mazurka Girl
11-13-2002, 12:20 PM
OK, dance then. But only if you wear one of those outlandish costumes. :P

Yazmeen
11-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Thank you Mazurka Girl: I now have a mental picture of Gary in my old Slovak skirt and vest, ribbons in his hair, skating the Killian, with his shoulder bandaged, no less!!!! :lol: The bandage is the most subtle part of the outfit!!!!!

Gary: HEAL!!!! Doctor's orders!!!

Hugs,

Beth

Mazurka Girl
11-14-2002, 11:29 AM
I was thinking of something more along the lines of knickers & lederhosen myself. And I have also selected the music - The Little Goatherd from the Sound of Music. ;)

Yodeleh-hee-yodeleh-hee-yodeleh-hee-ho! :twisted:

TashaKat
11-14-2002, 12:19 PM
Sorry!! Not been on here for a while ...... moving house, moving job ..... you know, the usual top place stressors ;)

All the best, Gary, hope that you're healing well and will get back to the ice PDQ

Hugs

L xxxx

garyc254
11-14-2002, 08:37 PM
Skirts and lederhosen, hmmmm. Well, sounds like you've got my dance outfits all picked out. Now all I have to worry about is the music. :lol:

It does get boring sitting at home. I was going to try and go into work for a few hours today, but my furnace went on the fritz and I had to wait for a repair man. Actually, I got it going again before he arrived with a quick fix. The safety shutoff switch for the blower fan was shorted out, so I unplugged the connectors on the back and jumpered them with one of those metal hooks used to hang drapes. McGyver, watch out!!! :lol: It would have been a real treat to watch me doing this with one hand, but it got done.

Daytime television is sooooo boring. Especially when you have been up all night and saw all of the cable shows that they repeat during the day. I was actually watching Martha Stewart's Show today. For a guy, that's about as low as you can get. :lol: No woman I know goes to that much trouble for a simple brunch for 12. :lol: If she were a guy, it would have been a few bags of Doritos, some hot salsa dip, and beer.

I'm really missing the ice. For all of you that occasionally get discouraged with your progress, don't. The ice time is what is important. The opportunity to skate, no matter how well, is what this is all about. If, no when, I get back to the ice, I'll never let my inabilities hold me back. I'll skate until I reach the peak of my abilities and then I'll work on accomplishing what I can with them. I'm so jealous of those that can jump. With my knees, I know that I never will beyond a waltz jump. But that's okay, even though it would be a thrill. There is still so much I CAN do. No, don't ever give up.

Thanks all for the lovely vibes you are sending me. They really help. :D

dbny
11-15-2002, 10:39 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I agree about daytime TV and the lunch thing. Bagels, cream cheese and whitefish or tuna are about my speed. Coffee and tea are the real essential ingredients anyway, IMO.

About jumping: I also will never be able to jump for hip and knee reasons, but I don't really regret it. Yesterday a boy from my club who is going to nationals in intermediate was doing some light practice and did some awsome Yagudin/Browning type footwork. That's what I really envy. Even the kids who can do doubles rarely take the trouble to develope beautiful moves other than what is required.

jazzpants
11-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by dbny
:lol: :lol: :lol: I agree about daytime TV and the lunch thing. Bagels, cream cheese and whitefish or tuna are about my speed. Coffee and tea are the real essential ingredients anyway, IMO.
I just dial for pizza!!! :P

About jumping: I also will never be able to jump for hip and knee reasons, but I don't really regret it. Yesterday a boy from my club who is going to nationals in intermediate was doing some light practice and did some awsome Yagudin/Browning type footwork. That's what I really envy. Even the kids who can do doubles rarely take the trouble to develope beautiful moves other than what is required.

Unfortunately, jumps do count...and it's easier if preparing for a competition, to aim for difficult in jumps rather than it is to aim for perfect footwork. (Then again, I have neither of those!!!) :P

Gary, I recommend either a good book or magazine. Or rent a video!

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by dbny
:lol: :lol: :lol: I agree about daytime TV and the lunch thing. Bagels, cream cheese and whitefish or tuna are about my speed. Coffee and tea are the real essential ingredients anyway, IMO.When I'm at home, I like those instant noodles that they do in Chinese supermarkets (NOT Pot Noodle - I'm not that bad, whatever my husband thinks!), sometimes with an egg poached in them. I don't drink much tea or coffee these days.

About jumping: I also will never be able to jump for hip and knee reasons, but I don't really regret it. Yesterday a boy from my club who is going to nationals in intermediate was doing some light practice and did some awsome Yagudin/Browning type footwork. That's what I really envy. Even the kids who can do doubles rarely take the trouble to develope beautiful moves other than what is required. I don't jump much, the occasional 3-jump and toe-loop in my Artistic programmes (this year's has no jumps at all), but I do so agree about footwork. And edges. That's where we dancers have the edge (pun intended), as we do so much work on our edges and turns - and why, I think everybody should do at least some dance.