View Full Version : question for "Dr. Gary"--sore muscles

mikawendy
11-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Hey, garyc--I was looking for but couldn't find that old thread where you mentioned that heat is NOT a good idea for certain injuries though it may seem so tempting to take a hot bath.

I'm wondering if you or anyone else knows...does the same apply to sore muscles, or is a hot soak good? I'm quite sore today (combination of a lot of stretching yesterday, skating three days in a row, falling yesterday and waking up sore today, etc. etc.) and am trying to figure out whether a hot bath would help...

thanks! :D

skateflo
11-10-2002, 06:42 PM
I'm not garyc but can offer 2 things I have learned:

From multiple times to PT, ice is the first line of defense. It reduces the swelling and inflammation. I keep 2 ice pads in the freezer at all times. Usually that takes care of any pain/soreness, etc. within 48 hrs. - after 72 hrs, it is said that ice or heat (bath) can be used, whichever you find most effective. I use ice around joints (ankle, knee - side and behind.)

From a Russian coach at my rink: Arnica montana 1X 8% sold as Arniflora/Arnica Gel relieves pain, swelling & stiffness. I normally am not a big user of homeopathic items, but I must say this has been a great help for sore muscles, especially my legs! I wouldn't be without it.

1lutz2klutz
11-10-2002, 08:10 PM
If you haven't had a specific injury and are just having a generalized "achey" day, then a warm, not hot bath is fine. You don't want to add heat to any injury that may be producing swelling or bleeding into tissues.

garyc254
11-10-2002, 10:56 PM
The doctor is in!!! :lol:

Hi Mikawendy. Sorry I haven't been able to get online this weekend. Two of my sons came to visit and at 15 (they're twins), they played games all weekend.

You've already got the answer from 1lutz2klutz.

Heat is terrific for sore muscles as long as there is no swelling either internally or externally. If it's not a specific injury, but just sore muscles then a warm bath is marvelous.

We all overdo it occasionally and feel that "not really hurt but kind of achy" feeling. That's the time that heat is excellent.

The next time I'm at work and have access to the ice/heat therapy letter, I'll post it again.

In the mean time, steam up the bathroom and relax. :D

Yazmeen
11-11-2002, 09:12 AM
For a distinct injury, the rule is ice for the first 24 (or even 48) hours, then heat after that. Ice reduces the swelling and diminishes the blood flow into the area, reducing bruising or the chance for hematoma (Blood buildup under the skin in the region).

For muscle aches, definitely heat. Ice won't help and may make you feel worse.

flo
11-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Having been working on lots of things that fly, rotate twice and sometimes land, my post skating club routine has been:
1. Take off wet leggings, put on dry pants.
2. Drive to friend's house.
3. He makes me a latte and fills the tub.
4. pour in Mr. Bubble and turn on the jets.
;)

quarkiki2
11-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Oooh! Watch the bubble bath in the hot tub! Hubby and I always splurge on hot tub hotel rooms when we travel and I made the mistake of pouring about 2 tablespoons of bubble bath into a hot tub once. We finally turned off the jets when the suds were about 4 feet high and we couldn't see each other across the tub, LOL!

Other than that, I concur with a nice warm bath for all-over aches and no specific injury. With a drop or two of baby oil/essential oil in the water to keep your skin moisturized. When you get out of the tub, apply lotion before your skin gets totally dry. Massaging lotion feels good on tired muscles, too.

melanieuk
11-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by flo
Having been working on lots of things that fly, rotate twice and sometimes land, my post skating club routine has been:
1. Take off wet leggings, put on dry pants.
2. Drive to friend's house.
3. He makes me a latte and fills the tub.
4. pour in Mr. Bubble and turn on the jets.
;)

Sounds good! ;)

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2002, 11:52 AM
I agree with Quarkiki2, though, that you want to watch it with the bubble bath! We had one of those mats that you put on the bottom of the bath, and it blew bubbles through, and I filled the bathroom once with foam!

Now we have one of those gadgets that clips over the side of the bath if we want a massaging bath - and that's about the only kind I ever do have, since I prefer showers.

A good recipe for post-skating stiffness is 3 drops of Lavender oil, 2 of marjoram and 1 of juniper, which you can either add directly to your bath or (preferably) dissolve in 1 teaspoonful of sweet almond oil, and then add it.

You could also dissolve this blend in 2 teaspoons (minimum) of sweet almond or other carrier oil and use it to massage stiff thighs (or other bits that have over-skated - with me, it's my quads).