View Full Version : We know you're a skating addict, but what type?

singerskates
11-10-2002, 12:39 PM
You skate. You keep skating. You keep skating even though you've been injured in the past. You can't stop. It's a deep burning desire. So what is it about skating that makes you so addicted?

For me it's the jumps.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Definitely ice dancing!

MissIndigo
11-10-2002, 04:50 PM
I love spinning. I have a very natural center, and spins in different positions come easily to me (with practice of course).

My spins yesterday left tracings of the glorious "dinner plate" kind with the entries and exits right on top of each other. I wanted to take those tracings home with me!

kayskate
11-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by MissIndigo
My spins yesterday left tracings of the glorious "dinner plate" kind with the entries and exits right on top of each other. I wanted to take those tracings home with me! [/B]

I actually have w. a digital camera. Some are posted on my web site. I am addicted to spinning.

Kay

mikawendy
11-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by kayskate
I actually have w. a digital camera. Some are posted on my web site. I am addicted to spinning.

Kay

Today during freestyle ice, I saw someone who was a really good spinner practicing lots of spins. At one point I could swear she was trying one of those Emmanuel Sandhu "inverted-V" spins that he does...

Chico
11-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Okay....... I just love skating, doesn't really matter what I'm doing. I love the challenge, freedom, grace, private time,speed........ My favorite thing is to jump or try things I've seen others do. Unique spins or footwork. Skating is a perfect fit for what my soul seeks as a person.

Chico

icenut84
11-11-2002, 03:37 AM
I voted for footwork - but what's an "Aerial ice junkie"??

kayskate
11-11-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by mikawendy
I saw someone who was a really good spinner practicing lots of spins. At one point I could swear she was trying one of those Emmanuel Sandhu "inverted-V" spins that he does...

I have tried them. Not easy at all. It seems the key to this spin is a very limber hamstring to be able to achieve that straight legged inverted V w/ the torso basically collapsed on the free leg. I can do this on the floor, but I would really have to invest a lot of time to spin in this position. The other problem is staying off the toe pick b/c the weight forward position tends to rock the blade toward the pick. As w/ the cannonball sit, looking down at the ice can also be very disconcerting. In a lot of ways, this spin is very similar to a cannonball which also req's a limber hamstring and the ability to keep off the toe pick.

Kay

twinkle
11-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Sorry this is OT, but what is a cannonball sit?

I don't know the names of a lot of the new things I have learnt because my coach is Russian. Is there a name for the sit where you grab your leg and pull your body towards it?

singerskates
11-11-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
I voted for footwork - but what's an "Aerial ice junkie"??

An Aerial ice junkie is a skater who loves to be thrown up into the air or lifted into the air by their parter. This typically is a pair skater.

Pair skaters you can keep this one. You might have a death wish but not me. No one is going to throw me around over the ice. I like singles skating and jumping because I control where I go and not someone else.

flo
11-11-2002, 11:55 AM
I love throws and lifts. You only do these with someone you trust - that's where your "control" is. it's really a lot of fun.

LoopLoop
11-11-2002, 12:14 PM
I've been playing around a little bit with pairs... so far I've learned a throw waltz jump and a dance lift, and it is SO much fun. I really want to learn a pair spin and a death spiral.

icenut84
11-11-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by twinkle
Sorry this is OT, but what is a cannonball sit?

Don't quote me on this, but I think a cannonball spin is where the skater's spinning leg is bent but not as low as on a sit spin, and the free leg is stretched straight out in front parallel to the ice and the upper body is held against the free leg, also parallel to the ice. Hope that makes sense! Todd Eldredge often does it in his combination spins.

melanieuk
11-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Definitely jumps, followed closely by spins.

sk8er1964
11-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Jumps all the way!

kayskate
11-11-2002, 05:37 PM
Cannonball sits can also be done sitting all the way down. The head touches the extended free leg, so the skater is bent over in the sitting position.

Kay

Chico
11-11-2002, 11:57 PM
Aerial junkie huh? My coach lifts me occasionally for fun or to get something across that he's teaching, and I think this is too fun. I like when he holds my hand when we skate sometimes too, the extra speed is exciting. Back crossovers are a hoot.

Chico

jazzpants
11-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Definitely spin junkie!!!

Cheers,
jazzpants

Anita18
11-12-2002, 01:17 AM
My spins still suck, but when I get a good one, I'm on a high all day! Definitely spin junkie!

dani
11-12-2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by MissIndigo
I love spinning. I have a very natural center, and spins in different positions come easily to me (with practice of course).

My spins yesterday left tracings of the glorious "dinner plate" kind with the entries and exits right on top of each other. I wanted to take those tracings home with me!

I was looking at my tracings when I was first starting to center some spins and it occurred to me that the ice is like an etch a sketch and the zamboni is the rinks way of turning it upside down and shaking! ;-)

Now if I could just start centering again!

Hugs!
Danielle

kayskate
11-12-2002, 06:38 AM
the ice is like an etch a sketch and the zamboni is the rinks way of turning it upside down and shaking! ;-)

How clever. Thank you for sharing that. I wish I had thought of it.

Kay

NickiT
11-12-2002, 07:12 AM
A difficult question to answer. I'm probably more of a spin junkie since I just love the buzz I get from spinning, but to be honest I'm something of a jump junkie too!! All in all I'm just a total skating junkie, regardless of what I'm actually doing on the ice!!

Nicki

ginamarie
11-12-2002, 10:52 AM
SKATING JUNKIE!!!!!!!! :lol:
Just love being on the ice, doesn't matter what I do as long as I'm there.
hehe :D

PattyP
11-12-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm probably a better jumper than I am a spinner, but it's spinning that I miss the most when I have to be off the ice for any length of time.

PattyP

quarkiki2
11-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Ummm... I don't jump or spin yet. Nor do I do dance or pairs. So you'll have to call me a lunge junkie!

JDC1
11-12-2002, 04:11 PM
I love when we work on edges and brackets etc. I feel so graceful and at peace. I like jumping but I can't say I love it and I like spinning and hope some day to actually be good enough at it to feel some control and balance!! I do get a thrill whenver I can get a half way decent spin.

nutty-ducky
11-15-2002, 01:41 PM
i reckon that i am an ice jump junkie! i do like to spin, but at the moment i can only do a 2-foot spin, which isnt very good, but i like to try to spin anyway!

TashaKat
11-16-2002, 04:10 AM
Ice Jump, Ice Dance and wannabee Aerial Ice junkie!!!!

L x