View Full Version : You know you've been skating too much when.....

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2002, 11:54 AM
I can't find the earlier section of this thread, which I assume has expired. But while I was browsing these forums, my husband was watching Scrapheap Challenge, our version of Junkyard Wars (which we also have!). And I heard something like "We need a good chassis", and misheard it as "chassé"! And they have just said "Watch out for that axle", and again, I heard it as "axel"!

Ah well....

singerskates
11-10-2002, 12:14 PM
You know you've been skating too much, when you are an ice jump junkie and can't control your body to not jump out of footwork. The only way to stop jumping is to not get on the ice in the first place. LOL

Curious, any ice dance junkies? ice spin junkies, footwork junkies?

icenut84
11-11-2002, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by singerskates
Curious, any ice dance junkies? ice spin junkies, footwork junkies?

Lol, if I'm any of those, I guess I'm a bit of a footwork junkie! I can't keep my feet still on the ice. Even if I'm standing talking to someone, my feet keep on moving! I do mini pivots, go up and down on my toes, generally keep moving them about. (Just for interest, when I was at the Nottingham gala and the skaters were meeting the Queen at the end, I noticed one skater doing exactly the same, constantly moving her feet. Sasha Cohen.)

I also sometimes try to practice footwork on the kitchen floor! lol

dbny
11-11-2002, 07:14 PM
...when you see "The Elite" on your satelite schedule and think for a moment that it's about elite skaters.

...when you watch the same competition tapes over and over dwelling on all the small stuff like three turns, Mohawks and edge quality.

...when John Zimmerman's BI bracket in the last combo spin in last year's short program is still sublime.

Yazmeen
11-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Your new Klingbeils have become your new teddy bear...you actually hug them on occasion...

You are the daughter of a former Chevy dealer (sadly, gone for almost 10 years) and you think its positive kharma that your coach chose "Theme from Route 66", which starred a 1960 baby blue Corvette, as your new Freestyle music (Destiny? Heck, yes!!!!)

You're on some stupid magazine mailing lists as a doctor in your professional office and you STASH the December/January issue of COSMO GIRL because Michelle Kwan was one of the Cosmo Girls of the year...

You see an ad with a PowerPuff Girls T-shirt in the same magazine labeled SKATING and are disappointed to see the skates on the little superheroes have wheels (at least they weren't rollerblades)...

Giggle... :P

Beth

Elsy2
11-11-2002, 08:20 PM
When you find yourself identifying the moves the skaters are doing on the little rink at the North Pole in "Santa Claus II"........

singerskates
11-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
When you find yourself identifying the moves the skaters are doing on the little rink at the North Pole in "Santa Claus II"........

Oh, my gosh, you are hard up for skating! ROTFLOL

How about watching hockey just to see ice and thinking if I could just get on it and jump?

While watching hockey you don't care who scores on who but what steps are those hockey players using to get across the ice? What turns are they doing?

You left the rink after your session to do some grocery shopping still in your tights and skirt.

You've met up with your friend at the mall in your skating outfit for lunch and then head back to the rink to skate some more. ( I don't do this one anymore because I've changed clubs adn the scedule is different.)

Blue Line
11-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by singerskates

While watching hockey you don't care who scores on who but what steps are those hockey players using to get across the ice? What turns are they doing?

I usually care who scores. ;) However, there are a small handful of NHL players who I would love to see try ice dancing. To have edges so beautiful that I notice them in the midst of a hockey game? That's skill.

ginamarie
11-12-2002, 10:51 AM
....you start dreaming that you're skating every night.
....you forget that you have hockey skates on instead of figure skates and attempt to jump or spin. (Did that once and don't intend to again...;) . Although I have seen someone land an axel on hockey skates...hmmm...:lol: )

mikawendy
11-16-2002, 05:54 PM
...when you see Dorothy Hamill in a Vioxx arthritis medicine ad in a magazine and KNOW that a skater did not set up the photo shoot. She's about halfway up an ice rink and has one guard off and is taking the other off. No door around. Hello?! How did she get there without taking off her guards? (Maybe she took a page out of my edge class teacher's book. He teaches power pulls to some skaters by making them put a guard on their free foot 8O so they won't cheat and put their foot down. He only does this when working one-on-one.)

...when you watch Kristi Yamaguchi's bio on Lifetime TV and know that whoever wrote the host's script was NOT a skater--the host talked about watching skating on TV as a kid and doing **triple axels** in sockfeet in the living room.

mikawendy
11-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2

LOL, Elsy2, I did that the other night while watching "Flashdance"--I had never seen the whole movie and never knew there was a skating scene in it.

icenut84
11-17-2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by mikawendy
LOL, Elsy2, I did that the other night while watching "Flashdance"--I had never seen the whole movie and never knew there was a skating scene in it.

I've got that film on video. Did you also notice that the skater (can't remember her name right now) kept changing her mind on whether she was CW or CCW? lol! Watch it again, she keeps changing directions when she jumps and spins. Not sure what happened there...

fan
11-20-2002, 04:36 PM
i've just found this site, this is my first post.

all i have to say is, i'm home.

mikawendy
11-21-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
I've got that film on video. Did you also notice that the skater (can't remember her name right now) kept changing her mind on whether she was CW or CCW? lol! Watch it again, she keeps changing directions when she jumps and spins. Not sure what happened there...

I'll try to catch it again when it comes on TV sometimes (VH1 seems to run music-themed movies on the weekends).

It could be in how they developed the film stock--if you flip the film stock over when developing it, you can get a reverse image, so perhaps some of the cuts were printed facing one way and some the other, just a fluke? I hear that they did this method ON PURPOSE in Titanic so that they only had to build one half of the ship in sets and mini-models. I hear that the costumes (caps, etc.) and anything else bearing text were printed in reverse for the scenes that were flip-flopped.

I dunno if this is true, could be an urban legend...

As far as the skater in Flashdance, perhaps it was two different skaters in the same costumes who did the scene?

kia
11-21-2002, 02:46 PM
You are skatng too much when you hear Bolero and automatically image Torville and Dean(or Alexander Abt for the younger skaters)

Mel On Ice
11-21-2002, 03:42 PM
...when most of your dirty clothes in the hamper are skating clothes!

I am also finding that with most every piece of interesting music I hear I think "can I skate to that?"

Yazmeen
11-21-2002, 07:53 PM
Cathy O'Connell plays Allan Sherman's old chestnut "You Went the Wrong Way Old King Louie" on "Kids Corner" and you imagine an ice dance routine with you as the beleaguered (but sexy) poor french peasant girl giving all heck to nasty old Louie XVI ("We're gonna take you and the queen, down to the guilloutine and shorten you a little bit!!!").

Geez, I swear I mentally choregraph EVERYTHING!!!!

The Ice Demon
11-25-2002, 03:47 PM
When the most exciting thing about your new job is that it is 5 minutes away from your home rink!!!!! And this was one of the main reasons for accepting it rather than considering other jobs!!!

:D I'm so happy i have a good chance of keeping up my skating hours to a decent level as i won't have to do much travelling and can even leave work to skate and go back!!:lol:

Whatever decision you make it will be the right one -
because you will make it the right one.

dbny
11-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
...when most of your dirty clothes in the hamper are skating clothes!

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...and when you don't do your non-bleach laundry until you wear your last clean pair of skating tights.

when "Cutting Edge," which is some kind of business program, makes you think it is the skating movie no matter how many times you see it in the same time slot and station on the satelite schedule.