View Full Version : Tiny Figure Skates!!

NickiT
11-08-2002, 08:43 AM
I've had real trouble getting my hands on a pair of small boy's figure skates for my 5 year-old son whose feet are a UK 10.5. I have tracked some down now and they should get here in the next week or two, but it seems that many well known brands of boots just don't cater for the very young skater. My boot fitter told me Risports only start at a UK 12 and they are usually the boot we start out in over here. Anyway he did have a small pair of SP-Teris in stock so I'm sorted now, but it made me wonder, if he (my boot fitter) cannot get these easily then where do others buy them from?

Nicki

melanieuk
11-08-2002, 09:17 AM
I got Risports for my size 10 (foot size) child..... they are the smallest size Risport make, apparently (28 if I remember rightly) and that's about a 10.5 isn't it?
Anyway, we put an insole in them, and they fit her fine.
Boots cost £39.95 or so or did last year.

Elsy2
11-08-2002, 09:47 AM
I'm pretty sure Reidell carries tiny skates, and they are fairly good as far as support. Dominion out of Canada carries sizes 6 thru 9 for tots, about $70, but I've seen these and would go for the Reidell or Jackson's over these. Jackson carries a set called "Glacier" sizes 8-13 for about $65 US...these are US sizes. Jackson also carries a set called "Softec" which look like hightop tennis shoes on blades, kid's sizes 8-2 for about $60. The problem I had when my son skated was that he has wide feet as many tots do, and all these skates come only in a medium width. He always had to skate in boots that were too long just to get his feet in them...I'm getting this info from the Rainbo Sports Shop 2003 catalog.

JD
11-08-2002, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the small foot club!!!

My 10 yr old wears a baby or jr, whatever its called-the real small ones- size 12.5 A with lifts and a double liner in her GAMS. We had lots of difficulty moving up to the GAM 50s from the 35s but had little choice b/c she broke down the 35s...

However, we have found that the GAM works-and the manufacturer is quite happy to help...

They put the lift in because her foot was as they termed it so dainty they didn't have a narrow enough boot to cover the fact that her foot was so small...apparently this was a first for them....never had a 45 lb 10 yr old in that level boot, let alone size....grin....our retailer actually had to call them and verify that yes she is that small.... to get the techician to check the boot for us...and they did all this for free!!!

all in all, they are very helpful with very petite little ones with small feet-and GAMS seem, to borrow my daughter's expression, as comfy as a sneaker....once your feet settle in...only down side is that slipping tongue..

Also, someone suggested to us that when she grows, a GRAF would be suitable, not sure about sizing. SP Teri Ultra-lite start at size 1. Don Jackson, Competitor, might be good, but seems on little ones, their arches ache if they have tiny feet...I highly recommend GAM, if you can get them---if for nothing else, the great customer service and the longevity of the boot....

Good luck!!!:lol:

dani
11-08-2002, 12:14 PM
My coach has a 5 year old (I think) son. Anyway, I have noticed that he has a white boot and just wears boot covers. I am presuming this is related to the difficulty of getting a small boot. I haven't asked ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

Elsy2
11-08-2002, 03:24 PM
JD,

Your daughter may end up like my coach.....she wears a size 3 (US). Custom Harlick's for her.....

JD
11-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Elsy2...

I can feel a lighter wallet already......yikes!!!!

This is actually our biggest future concern....though since she doesn't grow much, skates do last her two or more years-I suppose its an upside...

TashaKat
11-09-2002, 05:14 AM
Nicki

I'm sure that my coach got tiny skates from Slough. Her boy was about 18 months when she got them, maybe younger, and I THINK that they're Wifa. The other thing to do would be to contact John Turner as he is the UK distributor for Wifa (his number is in Ice Link).

L x

jp1andOnly
11-09-2002, 10:01 AM
A coach i know put skate covers over the white boots for her little boy. There wasn't little boy boots small enough, and she didn't even know if he'd like it, so why dish out hundreds of dollars

Elsy2
11-09-2002, 10:18 AM
I did buy my son white skates...then used colored tape similar to skatetape and stickers to disguise them. They turned out pretty cool, and the tape protected them too.

JD - I try not to think of my wallet....I'm in the process of ordering daughter's third pair of custom Harlick's....and this time we'll get new blades too. We only get a year out of them, due to breaking down, not size. You are very lucky to get two years out of boots! We have a Junior guy at our rink who orders new Graf's about every 3 months 8O

flippet
11-11-2002, 12:29 PM
I've seen white skates that the pro shop has 'painted' black, too, so that's another option.

JD...goodness gracious, your daughter sounds small! Any Dryad or Fairy blood running around in your family? :)

JD
11-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Elsy2---I know, everyone tells us we are very lucky about the boots....smile, its kind of weird, because I can't relate to the mid-season boot issues, .....however, the down side is that we can rarely re-sell them...because no one her size is at a level where they are willing to pay $$$ for the skates....mind you, her size 11s just went to a 4 yr old friend to borrow....so I guess its an improvement...

Flippet---none that we know of....grin, but yes, she definately is!!! we were told that she is in the 1/2 of the 1 percent of the population for size/weight/age correlations....good things in small packages we believe...

Mind you, I'm 5'4", husband 5"3....[though we are not tiny otherwise....]

you'd never know it by the way she eats....

lucky for her she picked a sport suitable, I suppose- to her figure....grin

Her second year of competition the judges actually sent a runner down to ask if she was in the right age category......:lol: