View Full Version : boot advice...for the umpteenth time...

pennybeagle
11-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Sorry to bother everyone...

I know there is always some discussion about what boots/blades to buy, and so if there is an archive, please let me know...

In the meantime, I am skating in 4-year-old Reidell Gold Stars with Coronation Aces that are about 1/2 to a full size too long and my foot is sliding in them when I do a camel-sit.

I am 27, 5'3" and 130lbs, working on axel, 2sal, and Juvenile MIF (will test Adult Bronze and Silver soon). I hope to learn a few more doubles, but am also really enjoying MIF...

I have a very wide ball and medium-ish heel. I do not pronate or supinate, and have normal arches.

Suggestions made to me:
Jackson Elite
Graf Edmonton
Harlicks

Blade suggestions made to me:
MK Professional
Pattern 99

I can probably spend between $500-800 (USD)for the boot and blade together. Suggestions? What has worked for you?

Mrs Redboots
11-06-2002, 07:11 AM
Nobody can really tell you what boots to buy, as it so depends on the shape of your feet. You really want to go to a good skate shop, and be fitted by a pro who knows what he or she is doing. Ask your coach for recommendations of where to go.

As for blades, my coach says Coronation Aces until you are doing doubles - which you now are - and then upgrade to Phantoms. But your coach may have another opinion on that. Certainly, though, if you're starting doubles you probably won't want to go for Coronation Ace again, but one or two levels up from there.

JDC1
11-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Go and try them all on!! I have Graf Galaxy's - I have a wide toe and narrow heel and medium to low arch in my foot. Make sure you wear stockings in the boots, make sure you bend down and that the boot gives and doesn't push you back. If it's at all possible skate in the boots before you buy them because standing around where you are being fitted and skating in the boots are totally different.

Elsy2
11-06-2002, 08:11 AM
I agree with the above...try them. I'd add the SP-teri Super Teri to the mix, simply because you have a wide ball, and they have the reputation of having a wider toebox. I'll warn you though, that they also have a reputation for a painful break in. (I've worn mine for 3 years and still use bunga ankle sleeves.....)

As for blades, I see no advantage to moving to MK Professionals. At your level a larger toepick is in order. If you like the 7'radius of your Aces, maybe consider the MK Vision or Phantom that both have the larger picks. Many of our skater do upgrade to Pattern99, and some to Ultima Freestyle. I love my Ultima blades....they are fast, but have a longer tail than your Aces and are a bit flatter at 7 1/2" radius. You can sit back on the blade with more security, and the toepick seems a little higher off the ice than the Aces. These differences have been great for me, but may not be great for everyone.

RoaringSkates
11-06-2002, 09:22 AM
I've heard that the following boots tend to be wider at the toe-box: SP-Terri, Jackson, Risport, Klingbeil.

I've heard that Harlick is a narrower boot, with a very narrow front area, so it may not be for you. Reidell is sort of moderate fitting, so if you need wider at the front than your Reidell's were, consider one of the ones I mentioned above.

Klingbeil's are custom, but "reasonably" priced. They are wider fitting and stiff. Risport have a wide ball area, and tend to be of good value. They also have a slightly higher heel. SP Teri has a strong boot, stiff, with a wider fit. Jackson I'm not too familiar with.

I'm also approaching the point where I may need to get new boots, so I've been looking into this.

Yazmeen
11-06-2002, 10:16 AM
A pair of custom Klingbeils ($495 plus tax) and a pair of new and properly fitted Coronation Aces (roughly $185) will bring you in at probably just less than $730. I highly recommend the Klingbeils--you will get a skate CUSTOM MADE for your foot. You have the same problem as me--a wide forefoot and narrower heel, and as Mr. Klingbeil said to me, that is not the type of foot Reidell designs for. SP-Teri or Harlick would be a better choice if you don't want to go custom, but if you can afford it, again, I would recommend Klingbeil's. You may never need another pair of boots as they will regularly maintain them and even rip 'em open and restuff them as needed when they break down. Try to go to New York for the custom fitting if you can. I can get you directions and info.

Beth

flippet
11-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
I agree with the above...try them. I'd add the SP-teri Super Teri to the mix, simply because you have a wide ball, and they have the reputation of having a wider toebox. I'll warn you though, that they also have a reputation for a painful break in. (I've worn mine for 3 years and still use bunga ankle sleeves.....)

I love my SP-teri Super Teris--but I will say that if your forefoot is quite a bit wider than your heel, you may want to try a split width. I have narrow feet, and really narrow heels...I have a AA width skate, which is perfect for my heel, but just a shade narrow for my midfoot. I don't think my ball is all that wide, but apparently it's just enough to make it a squeeze when I skate. I will agree that break-in is more difficult, as they're a really stiff boot, but I happen to LOVE a good, stiff boot. I don't use bungas or anything, but if my skates have sat around for a while, I'll wish the ankles were punched out again. Other than those minor problems, they fit like a dream, and are comfortable. My narrow heels have never been happier! (They slopped in Riedells like crazy.)

I also have MK Vision blades, and I'm really happy with them. My spinning improved greatly from my old Professionals, and they seem a lot 'faster'.

skaternum
11-06-2002, 04:36 PM
I agree with advice to try them on if you can and the advice to add SP Teris to the list.

FWIW, the ball of my foot is wide and the heel is narrow. I have to say that I've been very unhappy with my Jackson Elites. The moldable interior feels pretty good, but ... It could be a fluke, but there were problems with one foot being too big (I swear it feels like it was built on a last that's a half size too big), one heel being uneven, the tongue hitting my ankle at a very odd place, etc. Yes, I was fitted by a very reputable experienced fitter -- the one on the East Coast that everyone raves about. Yes, they're special makeups. So they ought to fit. And yes, they've been "adjusted" several times. <sigh> I'm getting Klingbeils soon. I can't take it any more.

Chico
11-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Yep, Teri's are killers to break in. I have custom Harlick's now and love them. I have very skinny feet. 5A heel and 3A toe The Harlick's were a dream to break in. The Teri's were torture. I have Gold Star blades and love them to pieces. My old coach told me you can buy to much boot, but never to much blade.

Chico

pennybeagle
11-10-2002, 09:33 PM
Who are the "reputable" skate fitters on the East Coast? (I am in New Jersey)

Thanks for all the advice. My rink only carries Jacksons, and only up to the Jackson competitor, so I would have to go elsewhere anyway to get fitted. The guy at the pro shop keeps trying to sell me the competitor, but it seems like such a step down from what I'm currently skating on.

Of course, not having a good pro shop at my home rink makes it harder to try things on...

Thanks again

skaternum
11-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by pennybeagle
The guy at the pro shop keeps trying to sell me the competitor, but it seems like such a step down from what I'm currently skating on.

Good gosh, that's not a "step down." That's a huge "jump down." Resist this money grubber. It sounds like a crummy pro shop!

Yazmeen
11-11-2002, 07:50 PM
If you don't mind coming over the bridge (just, as in the Turnpike bridge to PA) I can recommend my own sharpener and a great fitter, Dori Scheifer at Dance and Skate in Bristol, PA. Let me know if you want info. If you're anywhere in Jersey, you are only 60 -90 minutes outside of Jamaica, NY, where Klingbeil is located. Let me know what info you need.

dbny
11-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by pennybeagle
Who are the "reputable" skate fitters on the East Coast? (I am in New Jersey)

Try Ed K Ice Sports:

800-462-3596
973-386-1605 (Whippany)
973-736-9107

560 Northfield Ave.
West Orange, NJ