View Full Version : Converting on axel?

pennybeagle
11-05-2002, 02:58 PM
I am having the darndest time converting--getting my legs in that nice backspin position--in my axel. I am getting enough height, and I am almost fully rotated, but my legs are parallel in the air and so I open up and land on two feet. I have been working on waltz-loops and waltz-backspins for about a year now and can do them just fine, but I can't seem to get my body to do it in the air. Grrr. Any tips/tricks/suggestions that have helped any of you? I am having the same problem with my 2sal...

sk8er1964
11-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Before I do axels, I do several waltz jumps with a strong emphasis on getting into the backspin position. By this I mean I jump forward and almost overemphasize the turn into position, both physically and mentally. I find this helps my flow into and during the axel itself. I don't know if I've explained this understandably, but hopefully it'll help.

KathySkates
11-05-2002, 06:51 PM
I highly recommend the Lussi videos. I have all three and watch them again and again. They are worth their weight in gold! Volume 3 teaches the axel.
When I am having trouble "getting to the other side" or "switching axis" on an axel, the problem is usually not jumping straight up, hand and foot together. I also have to remind myself to get my hands out. If I don't reach out with my hands on the take-off, I may fall, two foot or "cheat" the landing.
It's kind of hard to explain in writing. The video does a good job though.

Stormy
11-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Please keep the suggestions coming, as I am having the EXACT same problems! I find I can't pull in tight enough too, to finish the rotation in the air.

pennybeagle
11-05-2002, 10:56 PM
What are the Lussi videos, and where can I get them?

KathySkates
11-06-2002, 04:38 AM
I was able to get them through the Rainbo catalog.

tidesong
11-07-2002, 10:03 AM
I was having the same problems with the axel about a year ago. I am having it with the double salchow now...
One of my problems was not keeping my backstraight. The day I first nearly landed my axel was when someone told me to straighten your back!
The other is the stepping over to the other side. I usually do a backspin, a loop jump , a waltz backspin before attempting the axel when I was having problems getting to my spinning side.
Yet another was the going up first then stepping over and rotating... I was screaming in my mind "go all the way up"... during another period of time...
And then... after that I also realized that relaxing on the take off helps me to go up instead of swinging around...and then you have to tighten in the air... I ever did a relaxed axel that was so relaxed I just sat down on the landing :)
Hmmm, if you have a video camera it helps to see exactly what you are doing...
And some how after all these I thought that my double salchow would be easier... but somehow it is not... I am two footing after rotating fully... I am sometimes slanted to one side also... the go straight up bit seems to be hard for me...

I have been trying to jump up onto my bed and getting into the backspin position by the time I reach there... I have no idea if its crazy... wonder if it works... :)

Stormy
11-11-2002, 08:42 PM
Any tips on getting a tighter rotation on the axel? I can get the height, and am finally crossing my feet in the air, but I can't seem to pull in tight enough to get the last quarter rotation, and always break out too early and land on two feet.

flo
11-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Hi Stormy,
My coach suggested more abdominal strength and thinking of squeezing your thighs together. It worked for me, now however I don't always unwrap in time and land crossed. Then I fall over like a tree.

Designdiva
11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
I just started landing my axel, clean and consistent this week. What worked for me was as flo suggested: more abdominal and thigh strength. Recently I started doing some work in the gym with weights for my abs, back and thighs. On Monday, as if by magic, the axel appeared. Those that I did not land, I fell softly which my coach would rather see than two-footing or cheating. The jump feels easy now.

On the floor, I do lots of axels with a loop right afterward, to get the feeling of keeping the freeleg in front until the rotation is complete. I'm also trying double loops, which really helps you stay over the right side.

On the ice, I start with mazurka-waltz jump-backspin-loop, to get the feeling up jumping straight into the air, (which has been a real battle for me). Then back xovers-waltz jump-backspin-loop. After those are successful, I try the axel.

Also, this may be stating the obvious but: Get a good sharpening. It is such a sensitive jump that you may need that extra edge control in order to get a good step up. This was the one thing that I had not tried and it worked.

Good luck, if I'm landing the jump, I'm sure you will soon.

vesperholly
11-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Assume CCW rotation

One exercise I was taught was to do a LF glide (on a flat) then step onto a very shallow RFI with a deeply bent knee, and then snap up into a backspin, rising up on your knee. Make sure the R foot travels past the left foot before you turn into the spin.

Also pay attention to your right arm - if you are lazy in bringing it in, it will slow your rotation.

Jocelyn