View Full Version : I wish I had ____ when I started skating

Blue Line
11-05-2002, 08:13 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new here. :D

This morning, I took my very first private lesson, at the tender age of 20! After taking a couple of group lessons here and there, I decided to get serious, join a club, and get a coach. So far, so good.

My question to you all is this: is there anything that you wished that you'd done differently when you started skating seriously? In other sports (and various other activities) that I've done, I have reached a point where I've thought to myself "Gee, I wish that someone had told me that I should buy (whatever it may be) when I started," or "If only I'd known that that was an option in the beginning!"

So, is there anything? Let me know!

And, by the way, I'm thrilled to be here. ;) I've been lurking a long time, trying to get up the nerves to post and to really jump into skating.

RoaringSkates
11-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Not really - you've already done the thing I'm glad I did - moved into private lessons. You learn a lot more in private lessons than you do in group lessons. It's helpful to have that sort of one-on-one attention.

The other thing I'm glad I did was get good skates. I went to the pro shop my coach recommended, and was fitted by one specific guy who my coach knows, who also fits boots and blades for "the stars" in the NY/NJ area. He really knew his stuff, and the skates I got were just right for me at the level I'm skating.

garyc254
11-05-2002, 09:18 AM
How about a hot line to your orthopaedist? You could ask for gift certificates to his office as a Christmas gift. :lol: :lol: Just kidding!!!

If you've got your own fitted skates and a private coach, you've got everything you need. All of the rest is just fluff.

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Yazmeen
11-05-2002, 09:55 AM
I wish I had not bought used boots, or at least had my feet checked for appropriate size and brand of skate before I bought them. I also should have checked in with one of the coaches at my rink (I was in group lessons then) about what skates and blades were best for me. I'm back in a bit of a learning curve now with my Klingbeil's and different blades, but everything is improving compared to my old skating technique according to my coach. I just wish I hadn't lost so much time with those old skates!!!!:(

melanieuk
11-05-2002, 10:57 AM
I would definitely go with wearing comfortable boots from the start - I waited 8 months (in pain) for my boots to break-in, but they didn't - they broke my feet!

jasmine
11-05-2002, 11:16 AM
I'm in agreement with Melanie on the boots.

For a beginner or lower intermediate skater, advanced boots/blades will be more of a hindrance than a help.

The advanced boot is very very stiff, in order not to break down under the stress of repeated triple jumps, and it will stop you from bending your knees and rocking over your ankles (both are essential in skating). The advanced blade has a very large toe pick for security when taking off on triple jumps, and which will trip up a lower level skater. But even if you ever manage triple jumps (and most people don't ) you will not get to this level for seven years or more.

If you go to a money-minded supplier, they will happily sell you top-of the range boots and blades worth USD800 upwards. But you do not need more than an intermediate boot, and can probably manage very well for two years on a lower-end boot (say second up from the bottom) with Coronation Ace blades or similar (total cost about USD250).

Elsy2
11-05-2002, 11:44 AM
I wish I had upgraded to better blades after a year. I had $50 Wilson blades, and some bad sharpenings. I struggled so badly trying to spin, that I gave up completely on them for a full year! I then got new boots and Coronation Ace blades, and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Turns were effortless, and I finally learned to spin :D

Mel On Ice
11-05-2002, 12:11 PM
I wish I had been younger.

Less gossip; more skating during lessons, a problem that persists to this day.

I wish I had gone ahead and spent the $ on the customs when I was told I was ready instead of schlepping around in ill fitting Reidells.

When I first arrived in StL, I wish I had gone DOWNSTAIRS instead of merely asking the kid at the front desk of the Rec Plex about figure skating lessons. That set me back a good 9 months.

JDC1
11-05-2002, 02:15 PM
I wish I had shopped around more for boots and not put up with uncomfortable boots, that ended up being a half size too big, for an entire year. I was trying to be frugal but in the end it back fired.

icenut84
11-05-2002, 02:27 PM
I too wish I had got better skates. I skated for about a year and three months in boots that were too big and were causing problems with my heels, and for the first 6 months or so I skated with the right blade set too far to the outside, making a RFO edge practically impossible. Make sure you get your coach to check your boots and blades over! It's better to be sure rather than just get frustrated and think it's you when it's your equipment that's not right. If you don't already have your own skates, get some recommendations too (ie from your coach), instead of just going for the least expensive in the shop (what I did).

KathySkates
11-05-2002, 03:01 PM
I say try to practice as much as you can. You will progress much faster.
Don't get too hung up with worries or what you don't have. Just do the best you can. When I started, I was making very little money and could afford either lessons or new skates. So - I took lessons on the worst rental skates in the world! It all worked out. I eventually saved enough for my own skates. 13 years later, I am still loving every minute!
Have FUN!

Blue Line
11-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Wow! You guys are great. :)

Lucky for me, I've already done the necessary skate shopping (and buying) to find me a boot and blades that'll suit me fine (or so I've been told! All of your stories make me a bit nervous, and I'll be double-checking with the necessary folk just to be careful).

Gary - I am so accident prone that I already keep my sports med doc's business card in my wallet! I'll add her to my speed dial soon. ;) She is somehow affiliated with the USFSA, so I know that I'll be well taken care of when those inevitable bumps 'n' bruises turn into sprains 'n' fractures!

We'll see how this all works out. If all of my lessons are as fun as my first one today, I think I've found heaven.

KathySkates
11-05-2002, 06:55 PM
One thing I forgot!!!! Wear knee and elbow pads!!!! People used to make jokes about my pads when I was learning my single jumps. However, they gave me courage and now I am working on all my doubles! (LOL,now I need "butt" pads!)

Chico
11-05-2002, 07:41 PM
Practice both sides on skills. As tempting as it may be not to.

Always have fun. =-) Never leave the rink on a down note. Always finish your skate with a smile.

Good blades are GOOD.

Sharpen your blades as needed. Dull blades are BAD.

Be kind and polite to your rinkmates. Even the nasty one who drives you nuts.

Chico

kayskate
11-06-2002, 06:32 AM
I wish I had spent more time working on basic skating. This includes skills in both directions and on both sides.

If I were to start skating all over again, I would learn MITF right away and maybe even start w/ dance. These disciplines teach good basic skating. No matter how good a spin or jump you can do, it is lost in poor sloppy skating.

Kay

icenut84
11-07-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Chico
Practice both sides on skills. As tempting as it may be not to.

True. Make sure you practice every skill on both legs/in both directions, or you may well end up with one side much stronger than the other. (My left side is definitely the stronger of my 2 sides, but I'm trying to improve the right side too, and am even trying to learn to jump both directions and spin both ways too.)

Also, don't spend too long bogged down on one element. Yes, you need to practice, but ie. don't spend 3 hours straight practicing only one thing. It'll drive you nuts and make you really frustrated if you can't get it. Vary what you practice, and don't forget to practice your basics every time you skate, including edging, turns and stroking.

Also, at the end of a session, warm down by doing a few laps of stroking, and also a lap or two of skating as fast as you can (safely!). And practice some stuff you know you can do well too, so you leave the session on a good note. And have fun! :)