View Full Version : more skating clothes

kayskate
11-03-2002, 01:30 PM
I have posted more of my "homemade" skating clothes on my web page. Most of these were made from a commercial pattern or an adaptation of a commercial pattern. They are rather simple. I am not interested in doing beadwork and don't compete, so I rarely need anything very fancy. Many of the items are easier to make than might be expected, especially the jazz pants. A pair of those can be cut and sewn in less than one hour.
http://www.skatejournal.com/gallery.html

Best wishes,
Kay

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2002, 04:16 PM
How very clever you are to be able to make your own skating kit! I can just about manage a leotard and wrap skirt from a paper pattern, but that's as far as it goes. I would love to have a proper pattern for a dance skirt, so I could make my own and have a variety of pretty ones as practice kit - does anybody know where such patterns can be obtained? I'm not a skilled enough seamstress to manage without a pattern.

Incidentally, I love the "old-fashioned" dress - that's the kind of thing I'd rather wear on the ice, than show off acres of wobbly flesh!

kayskate
11-03-2002, 05:37 PM
IMO, the best wrap skirt pattern is Kwik Sew 1301. It is discontinued. If you contact Kwik Sew (they have a web site, but you will probably have to call), they may have extras that they will sell. I know someone else who obtained the pattern this way. I do not know about international shipping. The pattern is basic wrap about circular. I have modified the hemline to be high-low. It also comes w/ a basic leo and skating dress. The "old fashioned" 70s dress is a Stretch and Sew pattern.

Kay

wannask8
11-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Wow, Kay, those are really lovely. I envy your talent -- I can barely darn a sock!

-- wannask8

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by kayskate
IMO, the best wrap skirt pattern is Kwik Sew 1301. It is discontinued. If you contact Kwik Sew (they have a web site, but you will probably have to call), they may have extras that they will sell. I know someone else who obtained the pattern this way. I do not know about international shipping.That's the snag, of course - it's barely worth the cost of an international call! The pattern is basic wrap about circular. I have modified the hemline to be high-low. Now, you see, that's just what I can't do - modify patterns. I can sew them reasonably well "as is" (only it's easier if I take them to my mother's to do the cutting-out, as her dining-room table is a lot bigger than mine!), but as for anything more exotic than that.... oh, I did once manage to lengthen the bodice of a dress I was making (for my "Puppet on a String" routine last year), but thought myself very clever for doing so, and wouldn't have dared on a fabric other than gingham, where you can see if you are making a mistake!

nutty-ducky
11-04-2002, 06:17 AM
hi!
i dont go out and buy my skating dresses. my mum makes them. i only have 1 at the moment, but she will be making me more, and she will be making 1 for my sister aswell. the dress that i have at the moment is the first ever skating dress my mum has ever made, and it turned out really well! i love it. i have already had a couple of compliments from people on the ice! :D
also another reason i am so pleased with it is the fact that over all the dress cost a fraction of the price of the dresses on the internet and in the shops!

kayskate
11-04-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
wouldn't have dared on a fabric other than gingham, where you can see if you are making a mistake!

That red wrap dance skirt was made w/ a $1 remnant. I buy cheap fabrics for experiments. When I get a new pattern, I will usually make it out of something inexpensive (very cheap, actually) before cutting good fabric.

You might be able to contact Kwik Sew by email too. Still the shipping might be too expensive.

Kay

KathySkates
11-04-2002, 06:22 PM
Hi Kay! Thanks so much for the info. You have inspired me to get out one of my 4 sewing machines (yes, 2 regular Singers, a serger and a 1938 Singer Featherweight) and get to work.
BTW, I love your website!