View Full Version : What should I expect at Adult Gold level?

sk8er1964
11-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone! I'm back on the ice these last 9 months, and I hope to compete at Adult Nationals in the Adult Gold level. However, I've never skated at the adult level, and I've never seen an adult competition. (My first will be in February.) What kind of elements do ladies at the Gold level have?

Also, on the sandbagging thread, somebody mentioned a skater that had passed her senior freestyle test that was skating Gold, not Masters. How can that be? I'm required to skate at Gold because of my testing level as a kid, and I've been working my behind off to pass all the required tests by Jan 15th.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Elsy2
11-02-2002, 08:13 AM
I recall watching Masters at AN, but don't have any recollection or notes on what I saw at Gold level. I do have notes from one local competition last year where the Gold level program included an axel, 2/sal, axel/loop, layback, sit/change/sit, lutz/loop, camel.....my notes are incomplete....

At the same local competiton the year before I have notes on two programs at Gold level:

Program #1 - layback, lutz, axel, toe, loop, back spiral, sal/loop, flying camel, flip, sitspin.

Program #2 - step sequence, lutz/loop, camel/sit, axel, 2/sal?, wally, 2/toe, loop/loop, sit/change sit, axel (fall), backspin.

Hope this helps...perhaps other posters here have more specific info on AN in particular?

skaternum
11-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Grab the issue of Skating magazine from this summer that gave the info about AN. July/August maybe? It has a good recap of the championship events. Not much about the non-championship events, thuogh.

skaternum

manleywoman
11-02-2002, 03:19 PM
I spent a few years in Gold Ladies 1, so I can help you.

I don't know which age category you're in. I can only speak for Gold Ladies 1, since that's what I skated in for a few years and that's the flight I watched last year. Gold Ladies 1 is a very competitive group, with lots of attempted double jumps and a lot of inventiveness in spins and choreography. Most everyone has an axel or 2sal. There are many 2toe attempts, and a few even landed 2loop! (One girl landed 2loop-2loop combo, but she has since moved up to Novice). Those that don't have to harder doubles do some really nice single jump sequences. The girls who tend to place higher don't necessarily land all the harder jumps but have very nice flow, speed, presentation and sureness of their edges. Seems to me since it's a large group and a lot of the same jumps are performed, there's also a lot of inventiveness with entrances and exits of jumps in regards to arm positions, or entering an axel from a spread eagle, that sort of thing, in order to set themselves apart from other competitors.

This is somewhat of an aside, but an interesting observation nonetheless: frankly, Gold Ladies 1 is more competitive than Novice Ladies 1, as far as jump content. No I'm not kidding. (Novice Ladies 2, however, is extremely competitive.)

Hope this helps!8-)

sk8er1964
11-04-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks! What you're telling me is about what I thought. Manleywoman - I'll be in the II group - 38 yrs old soon. I was able to see a local comp this weekend (that I didn't know was happening when I made my post). The winner (with a very nice program) entered her axel from a spread eagle, and had a 2-sal. Guess I have my work cut out for me! ;)