View Full Version : Karen Courtland-Kelly is out at Lake Placid

Figureskates
10-30-2002, 09:47 PM
I just got an e-mail from one of the members of my club at Lake Placid. It looks like ORDA will not be renewing Karen's contract and they have no plans to replace her.

This could be really, really bad news for the figure skating program at Lake Placid, especially the adult skating program. As my friend said, the program could go down the tubes in a year...

I have a few contacts at ORDA and I am trying to find out what in blazes is going on....it sounds like a bonehead development.

singerskates
10-30-2002, 11:13 PM
Isn't Karen Courtland Kelly coaching at Ice Works in Aston PA now. Maybe it's too much for her to travel back and forth.

KathySkates
10-31-2002, 04:56 AM
OH NO!!!!!!! I loved Karen Courtland Kelly!!!!!! I cannot imagine Lake Placid Adult Week without her!!!!
Figureskates!!! What are we going to do? We have to keep our gang together!

LoopLoop
10-31-2002, 07:28 AM
I just emailed a friend who skates at Lake Placid; hopefully she'll answer soon if she has any information about this.

Yazmeen
10-31-2002, 08:53 AM
That's so sad--she was doing a great job from what I had heard.

Beth

Figureskates
11-01-2002, 10:37 PM
I got an e-mail back from a friend of mine at lake Placid and what he has been able to tell me is that shie is still a skating pro there.

Also it looks like that her job as skating director is being divved up among three different people. Whether this is a move because it was too much for one person to handle or a cost cutting measure is yet to be dtermined in my book.

I may e-mail her directly or see her when I go to Lake Placid next month to the Junior Nationals...........

FSWer
11-03-2002, 08:50 PM
Hey, could someone please clue me in on who this Karen girl is?

flippet
11-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Dana, did you read the post directly above yours? That alone ought to be enough to figure it out. Here's some quotes from it:

at lake Placid and what he has been able to tell me is that shie is still a skating pro there.

This tells you that she is "at Lake Placid", and "still a skating pro there." Skating pro means a professional...which means that she's a coach.

Also it looks like that her job as skating director

That should explain itself. If you put all that together, you can see that Karen is a professional coach at Lake Placid, and she was the Skating Director there.

(Don't worry about whether she's 'famous' or not....she's just someone that many of the adult skaters know, because they've worked with her. That's all.)

gardener
11-04-2002, 01:52 PM
While no expert, I know Karen competed in pairs with Todd Reynolds at the 1994 Olympics. She is currently an excellent technician and highly-respected teaching professional, as well as for the last approximately four years the director of the skating program at Lake Placid.

singerskates
11-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by gardener
While no expert, I know Karen competed in pairs with Todd Reynolds at the 1994 Olympics. She is currently an excellent technician and highly-respected teaching professional, as well as for the last approximately four years the director of the skating program at Lake Placid.

Yes, and I have a snowy tape of Todd and Karen doing their Rocky number. They didn't do so well at the 1994 Olympics because Todd was extremely sick at the time. Speaking of Todd, I should email him. SEe how he's doing. It's been two weeks since we chatted online. Got to run.