View Full Version : Happiest Moments on Ice

garyc254
10-30-2002, 11:28 AM
I need something to make me feel good today. Too much stress and strain is starting to wear on me, so I thought I'd start a thread for the happiest moments on ice.

Your happy time doesn't necessarily have to be a skating accomplishment. It could be a terrific day, a fun situation, a great partner, or just that you love the time you get to spend at the rink.

As for me, there are so many happy moments on the ice that it will be hard to pick just one. I may send in another later.

One of my happiest times is during the Monday night freestyle session. There are usually a couple of adults practicing skills, one lovely teen taking a dance class, and a large group of pre-teen skaters taking a lesson.

I know most of the young skaters and their parents from the warming room. They are of various skill levels from "How do I stand up" to "I can skate backward if you hold my hand". Their coach is a terrifically patient, fun girl and keeps the class active.

While practicing my own elements, I take time to watch the group lesson and admire these youngsters on the development they've made in their skills over the past few months. It makes for fun conversation in the warming room during the subsequent ice make.

Kids are so cool!!!! You just can't feel bad while watching them grow.

There, I feel better. :D

Your turn.

dani
10-30-2002, 11:50 AM
Feel better, my friend!!

I have had a couple of really bad days since I have been skating. I call them "real world" days. Anyway, I remember one day in particular where I had a lesson and was very worried about how distracted I would be. I had even thought about canceling my lesson.

I had a great lesson and didn't even think about the problems that night. When I realized how much my burden was lifted, I was really happy.

So far, my happiest moment has to be a night where my coach had me flying around the rink and I was landing every jump we tried at a terrific speed! The feeling of flying was incredible!

Standing on the podium at the Peach with IceT and Skaternum standing next to me was also a pretty happy moment!! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

JDC1
10-30-2002, 12:06 PM
There are 2 that stand out -

When I FINALLY got the hook on the scratch spin and spun around 2 or 3 times!! That was like magic. I had been working so hard on getting the hook and everyone kept saying it takes time and then finally.

Seeing this little girl, 5 years old?, skating around doing all her singles and some WONDERFUL spins and she was just full of joy and adorable.

Feel better Gary!!

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Oh Gary, we all have days like that! But skating is a good counter, as you have to concentrate so hard you don't even remember you have problems, never mind what they are!

I had such a glorious moment on the ice today when I found myself doing those Foxtrot cross-roll 3s to tempo, without slowing down (okay not fast enough yet, but even still).....

Elsy2
10-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Happy skating days have been mostly on weekend public sessions when there are my other adult friends there and we decide to play. We might all stroke around the center circle at the same time, seeing how fast we can all go. Then we'll add a jump in there, or a spin, and we'll all try to do it fairly in unison. Sometimes we'll play "add a jump", starting with one jump, then add a second, then a third and so on....or we'll all work on spins together, showing off the good tracings. I love the no stress atmosphere and everyone just having a good time.

Lately my happy skating days have been learning dance with a partner. It's so much more fun to dance together than solo. We were joking about mooning our dance coach.....and I fear it's only a matter of time before we get up the nerve to do this! (I plan to leave my tights up!)

Once in awhile I'll have the luck of being on the ice with one other girl who loves to dance. We put on the dance tapes and dance the whole session....me the lower level ones, and she does the higher dances. There are no dance sessions at our rink, so this is a treat to have the ice to ourselves and access to the music.

Happy skating Gary! :D

KathySkates
10-30-2002, 03:15 PM
99% of the time I am happy on the ice. I LOVE to skate. My happiest time however, was at 2002 Adult Nationals. It was a nice skate but it represented a triumph over much adversity in my life. For me, it was such an accomplishment to get my act together and just BE there.
Even though I didn't make finals, I was the happiest skater of all!

garyc254
10-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
We were joking about mooning our dance coach.....and I fear it's only a matter of time before we get up the nerve to do this! (I plan to leave my tights up!)

Cheater!!!!! :lol: :lol: ROFLOL

garyc254
10-30-2002, 03:51 PM
Another fun moment:

As an old Cub/Boy Scout leader, I know that when a child gets hurt the first thing you want to get them to do is talk about it while you treat it. You ask questions like "What were you doing when it happened?" or "Tell me exactly where it hurts and how much?" The sooner you can get them to vocalize and use their minds, the faster they seem to start feeling better. The second thing you need to do is get an ice pack or band-aid on it (depending on the injury) as soon as possible. I carry band-aids and antiseptic gel packets in my wallet and skate bag.

I've used this technique with the kids at the rink numerous times over the last year, most often with good results. However, last week was an exception.

One young lad was skating down the ice, tripped, and banged his knees. He wasn't crying, but was wincing in pain. I carried him to the hockey box where his mother met us, then I took off to get an ice pack.

I sat with him asking my usual questions, but was getting little to no response. He wasn't going to talk, he was just going to hurt.

About that time, the head coach came over to check on him and said "Oh, you banged your knee, huh?".

I took a chance and answered "No, he banged his head, but the ice pack was too cold so we decided to put it on his knee."

The youngster was still laughing as he headed back onto the ice to finish his lesson.

Kids are too fun!!! :lol:

kayskate
10-30-2002, 07:04 PM
They are always the times when I am skating my best. Sometimes if I did not feel like coming to the rink and get there and have a wonderful time and really skate well, I feel very happy and satisfied. What is really great about skating is surprising one's self w/ what can be achieved. Some of my best days are when I learn to do something that previously seemed beyond my reach.

Kay

skaternum
10-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Not really an on-ice moment, but a skating-related moment that was really happy -- Adult Nationals 2000. It was my first year at AN, in beautiful Lake Placid. It started snowing the day I arrived, so everything was covered in snow as I went to the rink for a great skate in my Qualifying Round. I met lots of nice skaters and made it to Final Round. It was really wonderful! Dare I say, magical!

Other great skating moment: standing on the podium with Dani! :)

melanieuk
10-31-2002, 07:15 AM
Like a few of you have mentioned already, I love skating's ability to make you forget the outside world and all your troubles.

On a good skate day, it acts like a natural anti-depressant - or rather "happiness therapy". ;)

ginamarie
10-31-2002, 07:21 AM
Ever since I started skating almost 2 years ago, I'm always happy to be at the rink. So I guess my happiest moments on ice is when I'm there.

I just love the feeling of the cold air brushing my face as I skate. It makes me feel so relaxed and I feel all my problems melt away.:D

dbny
10-31-2002, 10:36 AM
I really had to think about this, because I am not generally happy and mostly feel very challenged on the ice.

First one: when I was able to motivate a crying tot to get up after a nast fall right at the beginning and keep going at our school's show last spring.

Second one: when my coach lavished four or five superlatives on me after my pre-juv F power crossover pattern and ended it with "you would definitely have passed!" She is the peeling-the-onion type and I had never in two years heard even one superlative from her before.

Third one: the first time I was able to "own" the ice and not be intimidated off my pattern by another skater. I was in a lesson, and that did help.

Fourth: the few rare occasions when everything feels right the minute I step on the ice, and everything works, and new things just happen. Those are the moments I skate for.

KCS
10-31-2002, 10:40 AM
This is one of my first posts here :)

I've had three skating days that stand out.

The first was when I first landed the loop ( just a single, but I had literally been two-footing it for a year. The summer session was almost over, and my coach said we weren' t leaving until I did it. With about five minutes left in the session, I landed it perfectly. It felt great.

The next was skating on a pond with my dad. It was a beautiful, sunny, cold February day, and I felt like I was in that Brian Orser special. It seemed like that was the way skating was meant to be enjoyed.

The last one was just a few weeks ago. I had taken three years off skating and when I started again, I landed almost all the jumps I used to do. It made me wonder why I had taken the time off, and I now know that I'll never stay away for that long again.

Cheers!

Mrs Redboots
10-31-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by dbny
I really had to think about this, because I am not generally happy and mostly feel very challenged on the ice. But, DB, why do it if it doesn't make you happy?

I tell you what, though - when you start dancing with your husband, then you'll learn what fun on the ice is! Dancing with a partner on the ice is terrific. It's even better with a great partner.

I always thoroughly enjoy our Dance Club nights, and those Dance Club nights at other rinks that we occasionally visit. On the other hand, I don't really enjoy the Recreational League matches, although Robert loves them. We're both more than happy to skate for any club that will ask us, but I find that I dislike dancing on a very crowded rink, so tend to watch, and leave Robert to find better partners than me and dance to his heart's content!

garyc254
10-31-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by KCS
This is one of my first posts here :)

Welcome to the "ice clan", KCS. :D

If you've been browsing for a while, you'll know that we're a friendly, helpful lot.

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Also, welcome back to the ice. Now that I've found it, I can't believe I could ever leave it. :D

garyc254
10-31-2002, 11:58 AM
I really had to think about this, because I am not generally happy and mostly feel very challenged on the ice.

That sounds like me on the golf course. :lol:

Any time I step on the ice I feel challenged, but it's a good challenge.

I challenge myself to:
Stay vertical
Not hurt anyone
Have fun
Practice what I know
Practice something new
Socialize
Be helpful

These challenges make me happy. :D

Chico
10-31-2002, 03:45 PM
Sorry your feeling down Gary. Skating does have times like this. Anyone who skates knows this. Hang in there, things will improve.

Good - Quiet ice, time to think, and just be. Doing that something extra well for me or for the first time. Right now this would be the 2 sal for me.

Bad - Doing stupid things with your coach watching. Doing something stupid solo is one thing, but with your coach standing there taking notes it's another. Of course, my stupidest times occur when he is. I swear, some days my brain and skills vanish when he shows up for a lesson.

Chico

icenut84
10-31-2002, 04:06 PM
I had to think about this too. Definitely one of the best moments so far was when I landed a clean loop for the first time (I wrote about this in a thread when it happened). My coach, who had been teaching me for a year, had been recently teaching me the loop but as much as I tried, I just couldn't land it on the correct foot (left). It was in my last lesson with him before he was to leave to teach at another rink, and before the lesson, I knew I really really wanted to land it, just to do it before he went. I didn't think I would but I was determined to try. As we got near the end of the lesson, I had had quite a few attempts and landed them all either on the right foot or on both feet, none on just the left. I was so determined though, and he wanted me to do it, and I tried it again concentrating really hard and I did it, for the first time! I was sooo happy. My coach did a dance, gave me a big hug and said I'd made his day. :mrgreen: Definitely one of the best moments on the ice for me. :)

garyc254
10-31-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Chico
Bad - Doing stupid things with your coach watching. Doing something stupid solo is one thing, but with your coach standing there taking notes it's another. Of course, my stupidest times occur when he is. I swear, some days my brain and skills vanish when he shows up for a lesson.

When we see that our coach is watching, we start thinking about what we're doing rather than just doing.

It would be best if we could turn our brains off and just react to our training.

Chico
10-31-2002, 10:46 PM
I've been told this is the "try too hard syndrome". I have a major case of it during lessons. Seriously, trying hard in a lesson just happens. I'm paying this person (my coach)to teach me and I find the need to be a hard working student. Usually, for me, I find that I hear what I'm being told in my lessons, but obtain my improvements solo.

Chico

dbny
11-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Gary & Mrs. Redboots: I vividly remember the pleasure of roller dancing, and my goal is to regain that feeling on the ice. I do have those rare wonderful moments, so I keep at it looking for more. Besides, if I quit, I'm sure I would gain back all the weight I've lost and turn into a total couch potato again. I pretty much skate for my life.

garyc254
11-01-2002, 11:08 AM
I vividly remember the pleasure of roller dancing, and my goal is to regain that feeling on the ice. I do have those rare wonderful moments, so I keep at it looking for more.

Good for you!!!!

That's what life (and skating) is all about, those rare wonderful moments.

If not for them, it wouldn't be worth it.

dbny
11-01-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
I tell you what, though - when you start dancing with your husband, then you'll learn what fun on the ice is! Dancing with a partner on the ice is terrific. It's even better with a great partner

Sadly, we have had to put dance on hold. I turned out the this was not the right coach for us. I won't go into details except to say that we made our excuses and parted on good terms. Guess we'll wait until we move and find someone upstate where there are many more choices.

NickiT
11-02-2002, 02:55 PM
I've had quite a few happy moments on ice including two this summer. The first was competing in the Adult Opens at my rink and actually doing a completely clean programme. The feeling I got at the end was tremendous. Then two weeks later I passed my Inter-Bronze field moves test. I'm only the second adult at our rink to pass this and when I got the judges' handshakes every adult on the side of the rink let out a huge cheer and I felt such an amazing sense of achievement. One other time that stands out is being presented with the Best Endeavour Trophy at the end of our Christmas Show in front of a full audience. I was presented it for my determination to return to skating after my awful ankle injury. I felt on top of the world!!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by NickiT
I've had quite a few happy moments on ice including two this summer. The first was competing in the Adult Opens at my rink and actually doing a completely clean programme.And you skated very well, too! I saw you skate, and was impressed.The feeling I got at the end was tremendous. Then two weeks later I passed my Inter-Bronze field moves test. I'm only the second adult at our rink to pass this and when I got the judges' handshakes every adult on the side of the rink let out a huge cheer and I felt such an amazing sense of achievement.Well, passing inter-Bronze field moves is quite a Big Deal, whether you're an adult or a kid! Well done you!

NickiT
11-07-2002, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the compliments, Annabel!! I'm hoping for my Level 2 Elements and Free next!! Need that to compete in next year's opens as I'm currently in no man's land having passed my Inter-Bronze field moves test!! Hope you'll be there next year ! It's always a great day, isn't it?

Nicki

Yazmeen
11-07-2002, 09:14 AM
Happy? Today: When I was able to try the new choreography for my new program (first half of it) and do it without too much trouble. I now realize that these new skates and blades work well for me. I have better speed, flow, edges and positions, and a lot of the old "fear factor" is gone. I felt like a real skater today and like I was finally in my own skating "skin," for lack of a better term. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh 8-)

Beth

jenlyon60
11-07-2002, 09:47 AM
My happiest moment WILL BE when I look at a set of test papers for the European Waltz and see 2 or more PASS marks.

EW is becoming a very expensive dance. I have 2 jokes about it...

One is that the judges haven't gotten tired of seeing me test it yet.

The other is that the club hasn't derived sufficient income from my retries yet.

--jsl

garyc254
11-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
I have 2 jokes about it...

One is that the judges haven't gotten tired of seeing me test it yet.

The other is that the club hasn't derived sufficient income from my retries yet.

Oh, have I heard these reasons from lots of skaters before. :lol:

Since this is a "happy moments" thread, I won't get off on judging. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the compliments, Annabel!! I'm hoping for my Level 2 Elements and Free next!! Need that to compete in next year's opens as I'm currently in no man's land having passed my Inter-Bronze field moves test!! Hope you'll be there next year ! It's always a great day, isn't it?

Nicki Oh, Bracknell's as much of a "Can't Miss" for British skaters as the Adult Nationals are for the American ones. I don't always skate on the Thursday, but I always go to watch. Although if my Interpretive/Artistic programme is okay this year, I'll probably do that. And then lots of dance on the Friday!

batikat
11-07-2002, 03:12 PM
I'm hoping for my Level 2 Elements and Free next!! Need that to compete in next year's opens as I'm currently in no man's land having passed my Inter-Bronze field moves test!!
Nicki

NISA are removing the MAX field moves limitation on Opens next year - though you should go ahead and do your level 2's anyway as you are easily able to pass I'd say!!! (plus it moves you to the next level if I want to start competing in Free)! :twisted: :lol:

batikat
11-07-2002, 06:30 PM
OOops - meant to add my happiest moment. Like Nicki's this was at the Adult Open last June and was skating my 2min Tango OD. It's the first time I've ever had a real buzz out of competing - normally I'm terrified but I just loved doing this dance - the sad thing being they will probably pick a different rhythm next year and I'll never skate it again. Winning was a bonus (OK, even if it was only out of 2! :) ) but the greatest thing about it was that on the Tuesday I was going to withdraw due to back problems; on the Wednesday I went to see a chiropracter who cured the problem immediately (sacro-iliac joint stiffness) and it was like a whole new pain free world opening up. Skating the competitions on the Friday was just wonderful. I even quite enjoyed the compulsories, then I did my Free dance the best I have ever managed and finally my Tango -music I loved, a dance I loved performing and a gold medal to boot!

NickiT
11-08-2002, 08:38 AM
Hey Gail, I didn't know NISA were removing the max field moves levels, but I should get my Level 2 Elements and Free by June anyway. Bev will make sure of that!! Great Jumps Class this morning, wasn't it? See you at tomorrow's rehearsal.

And Annabel, I agree. The Bracknell Adult Opens are definitely unmissable. See you there!!

Nicki

batikat
11-08-2002, 10:12 AM
You do need to read 'Ice Link' (for all the non-Brits this is the official NISA newsletter) with a magnifying glass to spot the important announcements.:)
Basically it was decided [to remove Max Field Moves limits] just after the Adult Opens last year, after a number of Adults (plus other people no doubt) kicked up a fuss about the unfairness of it. Probably affects adults more than kids in general. I think the official announcement has been in already.

How many people missed the one about Field Moves and Dance Moves becoming equivalent from January 2003? (Yes! Now I never have to take the novice Field Moves with the horrid straight spirals on both legs as I have my level 1 Dance moves):D
I guess in a year or so they will come up with a new series of 'Moves' to cover both disciplines. Maybe I should test level 2 dance moves now since there are only 2 of them rather than the Prelim equivalent which has 6!

The jumps class was really good - so useful to have a different input on what I am doing wrong:) The jumps look so simple when you see the kids do them but they are soooooo difficult for me. Really can't see how anyone can do a loop..........

Mrs Redboots
11-08-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by batikat

How many people missed the one about Field Moves and Dance Moves becoming equivalent from January 2003? (Yes! Now I never have to take the novice Field Moves with the horrid straight spirals on both legs as I have my level 1 Dance moves):D

I missed that! You mean, I really don't have to do a spiral on my left foot? (That being the one move that would guarantee I'd fail Novice Moves). Whoopeeeeee!!!!!!!

I guess in a year or so they will come up with a new series of 'Moves' to cover both disciplines. Maybe I should test level 2 dance moves now since there are only 2 of them rather than the Prelim equivalent which has 6!I should. Except it has those changes of edge in, which are trickier than they look - I've been working on them over a year and am only just getting them now. I don't have to test level 2, as I did the old Novice Dance Moves, so am credited, which is just as well, but when I will ever pass Level 3 - back cross-rolls and back cross-cuts - is beyond me. The back cross-cuts are beginning to happen now, but the cross-rolls? Fugeddaboudid, as they say. I can do the occasional one in isolation, but not yet continuously. Mind you, Robert can do the cross-rolls, but finds the cross-cuts impossible, so there you go!

Really can't see how anyone can do a loop.......... Nor can I! I can't even begin to do one off-ice. Yet my Robert has a loop jump to die for, even if he daren't do more than one or two a week, if that, because they make his knee hurt.

Chico
11-08-2002, 03:57 PM
I have another happy moment to add. When your coach, who's not big on compliments and I like this, but told me one today. Sometimes it's good to get hear positives. This was nice to hear. I have had my peers give me a lot of kudos lately, but hearing one from my coach was extra good. Somehow this makes your peer kudos more real too. =-)

Chico

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2002, 10:48 AM
I have another "Happy Moment" - today I came out on to the ice more-or-less dressed as for my new Interpretive programme - and someone who I know has personal reasons to be unhappy just now absolutely cracked up! I was glad to give him a good laugh.

Andie
11-11-2002, 11:02 PM
So far, I don't have any one particular happy time on the ice, all of the times have been great -so far ;)

Hey, I'm new here and noticed that you (gary) are in MO. I'm kinda near St.Louis too! :) I was trying to register here a few days ago, but something got messed up and I had to re-sign up.