View Full Version : First competition - what to wear?

RoaringSkates
10-28-2002, 03:47 PM
Ok, as you may have noticed from my posts, I am going to be in my first competition soon. I'm asking lots of questions here because there are no other adult skaters at my rink. There will be other adults at the comp, but no one who actually, regularly skates at my rink.

What does one wear for competion at the lower levels (adult)? I was planning on wearing skating tights, a black leotard and a dance skirt. I can also wear a sweater, which I will do to keep warm and cover up my pudge.

Anyone know what adults at the lower levels normally wear for competitions? Thanks.

flo
10-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Something comfortable and suitable for your program. A leotard and dance skirt are fine. There are also several dresses you can order on-line that can be dressed up for competitions if you want something fancier. The dresses you will see will range from simple to something you would see at kid nationals, so go with whatever you are comfortable with wearing. I loved my first competition. I wore a simple peach dress. Good luck and have a great time.

skaternum
10-28-2002, 07:45 PM
For my first competition, I wore a very plain stretch velvet dress: long sleeves (I get cold!), mock turtleneck, simple skirt line. The leotard and skirt idea are fine, but be careful about skirt length. A skirt that hits you about mid-thigh looks best on most grown women.

Good luck with your competition!!

dbny
10-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by RoaringSkates
I was planning on wearing skating tights, a black leotard and a dance skirt. I can also wear a sweater, which I will do to keep warm and cover up my pudge.

If you like dresses, I have discovered (as have others here) that a heavier weight velvet hides the pudge, and a traditional skirt, longer in back and "V" shaped is very flattering for "mature" figures.

melanieuk
10-29-2002, 10:33 AM
I'm 34 (I'm at axel level in jumping terms) and don't compete, but I do test.

I wore a plain but beautiful dress by capezio. :)
It's deep purple, velour, long sleeves, turtle neck, and straight box skirt with a half split at each side.

I was skating a programme.
Coach wouldn't permit me to wear gloves or cardigan - not that I wanted to, unless everyone else was.
I simply wanted to blend in with what the rest of the youngsters do/look like, and not draw added unwanted attention to the fact that I was at least 20 years older than some of my co-skaters doing the tests that day.:roll:

Good luck with your comp and let us know what you decide to wear.
I think the leotard and skirt is fine, but maybe have a lycra black t-shirt on and take off the jersey after your warm up.
It's important judges see your "lines" - you don't want to have a big fluffy cardi on, so if you have to wear one, make it close-fitting like a little ballet cardigan that wraps round the back and ties?

JDC1
10-29-2002, 11:30 AM
I have finally committed to testing, now I have to find out the test dates and get a dress. I found one that I like but I'll have to try it on. I can't do the ballet skirt/leotard combo because it will cut me in half, I'm only 5'1 and rather endowed. So I am just going for a high neck long sleeve athletic looking dress. My hips are actually narrow so the skirt length isn't a big issue. The big issue is WEARING IT!! I am going to feel so naked in just a dress!!! I guess the smart thing to do is wear it to lessons and practice a few times before the test so you're totally comfortable in it. I really am dreading it but like everything else once you do it you get over it.

flo
10-29-2002, 11:42 AM
JDC1 - wearing it before the test is good idea - that way no, or at least fewer surprises.
I often wear a cardigan for warm up at events. I have usually found one in the matching color, or if not have dyed it to match. There are several nice ones out now at Target and Walmart that are front zip, and would be great to skate in.
Mel - I like that the judges know I'm 3x the age as the little ones on the ice, and that I can test and compete!

jenlyon60
10-29-2002, 11:55 AM
One other suggestion...

Make sure the front of the dress is lined. A lot of the dresses designed for adults ARE lined in front, but not all. Exercise bras that provide good upper body support are nice, but a lot of the skating dresses these days are cut to make it difficult to wear a proper execise bra (for those of us well-endowed by nature). I haven't tried sewing support into a stock dress although it's on my list. My thought was to take a double layer of power mesh (like a wide tube) and sew it into the side seams so that it would stretch and support after I put the dress on. I've known other women in the same circumstance who do the old ace bandage wrap or use wide surgical tape.

Practice in the dress at least once (including warm-up/stroking) to make sure it's not going to pull through the torso or the arms, or that the trunks won't ride up.

Also, check out how your warm-up jacket will fit with the dress. A couple of my stretch velvet dresses "cling" or "drag" against my favorite polarfleece warm-up sweater.

For tests, I usually wear a double layer of normal tights (1 footed pair, one footless or OTB). Or control-top pantyhose and footless/OTB tights.

Capezio and BodyWrappers both make a "unitard" that comes with clear straps and convertible feet. It can be worn underneath to give a trim line and minimize unwanted "bulges". Doesn't provide enough support in the bust for folk like me, though.

--jsl

dani
10-29-2002, 11:57 AM
I can't agree enough, you should wear the dress before. I was really dreading it when I got my first dress. I was embarassed and happy both with all the complements I received.

But, more importantly, it ceased being a big deal. In fact, several friends commented that I started skating "more like a skater" when I did start wearing it. There might be some truth to that since I may have subconsciously felt more like one of the "serious" skaters vs. an adult hack.

Congrats and hugs!!
Danielle

RoaringSkates
10-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
I have finally committed to testing, now I have to find out the test dates and get a dress. I found one that I like but I'll have to try it on. I can't do the ballet skirt/leotard combo because it will cut me in half, I'm only 5'1 and rather endowed.

I'm with you. I am 5'2" and well endowed in many places, including chest and butt. I'm hoping a black leotard will help. I've purchased a black top/fades to blue bottom dance skirt - one of those watercolor things. I'm hoping the skirt having the black top and gently fading to blue will give me some line, rather than cut me at my mid-section. We'll see.

I'd like to get a "real" skating dress, but would want to try it on first. There are no skating stores that carry dresses in my size in my area, so all must be online ordering, and I'm afraid to order in case I don't like it. It may look good online, but completely different once I have it on over my bulges!

I wish I could just wear my normal skating gear - purple yoga pants, top and zip sweatshirt. Oh, well.

jenlyon60
10-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Be careful that the skirt is longer on the backside, if you have well-endowed hips. A lot of the wrap skirts that are the same length for the whole skirt will end up being shorter in back when you put them on. Which ends up emphasizing the backside.

I personally don't like wrap skirts. I can't get them to stay in place and I've seen them come untied accidentally before, depending on the type of ribbon used for the tie and how slick the fabric of the leo is.

skaternum
10-29-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
Be careful that the skirt is longer on the backside, if you have well-endowed hips. <snip>

I can't get them to stay in place and I've seen them come untied accidentally before ...

I was just going to mention this to the original poster. If you do wear a wrap skirt, do NOT tie it in a bow. Knot it twice! I've got great video footage of an icedancer losing her skirt that was knotted once. Avoid satin ribbon ties. Grosgrain is great.

My personal favorite skirt is the Capezio georgette wrap, item number 272. It's 12" in the front and gently tapers to be a little longer in the back. It's very flattering and not too sheer. If you like a little more coverage, the Capezio skirt number 276 is good too. It's the same as the 272, but it's 3" longer all around.

LWalsh
10-29-2002, 03:36 PM
I would get a dress if I were you. A leotard and skirt are ok but you might find that the other adults will be wearing dresses. It doesn't have to be a fancy dress either. I have had good luck with a few seamstresses who do business over the Internet and will cut the dress to my measurements. This is surprisingly not expensive. I paid $70 recently for a velvet body/glissentte skirt dress that was cut to my measurements ( www.ksskatewear.com ) . This dress is lovely and actually fits for once! Most manufacturers have really odd measurements for adults and being rather endowed myself, I have not had good luck with them. Besides it infuriates me that being a ladies size 10/12 is considered an XL or XXL.

Having said all that, many coaches will insist that their (kid) students practice in dresses. Basically this just eliminates the stress of the unknown when competition or testing time comes around. Most coaches are less strict with adults but I think it's a good idea to practice in skirts anyway.

Couldn't hurt...Although there was the time I had to stop traffic at an intersection while wearing a skating dress to rescue a turtle crossing the road in August. I sure got some strange looks

:lol:

backspin
10-29-2002, 04:24 PM
**just as an aside:***

coaches also require dresses or leo's & skirts because then they can see your body line/where your hips are/where your shoulders are, etc., that looser clothing hides.

I would also recommend not wearing the sweater for competition. For warmup it's fine, but not for the actual performance. The black leotard w/ the watercolor skirt sounds lovely. Remember, the costume is part of the package!

dani
10-29-2002, 04:46 PM
The turtle story made me laugh!!

I am lucky enough to skate during the day a couple of times a week. I have taken to the habit of wearing a skating skirt under whatever slacks/skirt I happen to be wearing with a top I can skate in. So, when I go skating, I just take off my work skirt and put on my skates/gloves. I am sure I get some weird looks, but hey! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Of course best of luck in your test/competition!!!!

spicyicey
10-29-2002, 05:14 PM
A side story about wearing sweaters for competition: I had a friend who once forgot to take off her sweater before she skated her freestyle program. She skated great-didn't even notice she had her sweater on until afterwards when we told her. She ended up winning the event! You might want to keep that sweater on after all ;) Anywho, good luck in your first competition!

viennese
10-30-2002, 05:53 PM
thanks to everyone posting here for these great suggestions.