View Full Version : Atlanta Adult competition in August

dani
05-25-2002, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone!

I would like to compete in Atlanta in the end of August. That will be my first USFSA competition. I am trying to decided what level to compete at. I have a, usually travelled, 1 foot spin. I also have all of my jumps through the salchow. I believe that I could pass the pre-bronze today, and plan on taking it before the moves are instituted.

I also roller skated dance for 5 years, so I have decent speed and flow on the ice and don't think I look like a no-test or pre-bronze skater (until you see me spin and jump ;-)

Any thoughts on which division I should enter? I am thinking pre-bronze, but I don't want to be in *way* over my head. I am sure I will have passed pre-bronze before the competition no matter what, but I am not sure I will have passed it by the month before date due to the test center logistics.

Who else is planning on going?

Hugs!!
Danielle

jenlyon60
05-26-2002, 10:10 AM
I am hoping to go. My coach is hoping to get a bunch of his adult skaters to enter.

Silver MITF and Pre-Silver Solo Dance. Possibly a jump-less Interp if I can get my act together (I do dance... and a very rare occasional spin).

melanieuk
05-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Dani, as I'm a UK skater, I'm still ignorant of all the different levels in both USA and Canada.
What do your skating pals/coach say?
I'd be tempted to skate at the level I was good at, if I could get away with it, than skate at a level I was just approaching.
It's better you skate with confidence, in my opinion, but on the other hand, if you feel confident at the upper level, then go for it.
Either way, it'll be an achievement to go out there and compete. :lol:
Good luck, whatever you decide! :D

CanAmSk8ter
05-27-2002, 06:49 PM
[quote:9f8d596d12="jenlyon60"]I am hoping to go. My coach is hoping to get a bunch of his adult skaters to enter.

Silver MITF and Pre-Silver Solo Dance. Possibly a jump-less Interp if I can get my act together (I do dance... and a very rare occasional spin).[/quote:9f8d596d12]

Darn! I've gone the last two years, but I'm not eligible for dance b/c I'm too young and I'm not skating singles anymore. I would have loved to meet some other Rinksiders. I would have been doing Pre-Silver solo too.

Mrs Redboots
05-28-2002, 08:55 AM
[quote:c2a306bf7b="dani"]Any thoughts on which division I should enter? I am thinking pre-bronze, but I don't want to be in *way* over my head. I am sure I will have passed pre-bronze before the competition no matter what, but I am not sure I will have passed it by the month before date due to the test center logistics.[/quote:c2a306bf7b]I would have thought that if you have passed pre-bronze by the time of the competition, you should compete at that level - otherwise, people might [i:c2a306bf7b]think[/i:c2a306bf7b] you were sandbagging, even if you aren't! What does your coach think?

Robert and I plan to compete in Atlanta one of these years; not this year, but perhaps next, or in 2004. We have been told it's one of the best adult competitions there is, and I am willing to believe it!

dimples
05-28-2002, 09:41 AM
I was hoping to be able to go this year, but given that my house purchase closes in less than 2 months, I have no extra cash to be able to go to Atlanta. Maybe next year and with my sister in tow.

PS - Annabel, Thanks for the Mountain Cup report you posted on Rinkside, I hope to get there at some point, too. My partner worked in the area about 10 years ago, so I'm hoping he'll agree to a holiday over there that includes a figure skating competition -- at the beginning of this season, he swore he would never show his face at a skating competition, but I dragged him to the 3 I competed in and he dutifully sat and watched all 3 without any complaints! :wink:

dani
05-29-2002, 06:16 AM
[quote:3bec46b1bd="Mrs Redboots"]I would have thought that if you have passed pre-bronze by the time of the competition, you should compete at that level - otherwise, people might [i:3bec46b1bd]think[/i:3bec46b1bd] you were sandbagging, even if you aren't! What does your coach think?[/quote:3bec46b1bd]

There is an application deadline, and I can pass pre-bronze after that.

I am thinking from a financial standpoint, I won't be able to afford it anyway. :-( I was hoping to have a backspin, so then the choice would have been pre-bronze or bronze, but I do not have it and my sprained ankle has kept me from working on it.