View Full Version : MD/Del/DC skaters: Edge classes with Gary Irving

mikawendy
10-26-2002, 07:46 PM
FYI to skaters in MD/southern Delaware/?DC, Ice World (in Abingdon, MD) is offering edge classes with Gary Irving, on Sundays, Nov. 3 to Nov. 24 from 9:30 to 10:15. Cost of the series is $80; walk-ins are $25 per class.

I'm going to be doing it (but skipping first week). The skating director told me that it will be mixed level. The signup sheet says it's for freestyle skaters, but she said that it will be a mix of freestylers and people still learning basic skills, including a few adults. She said Gary Irving will tailor the class to the different levels of the students.

If anyone's ever taken classes from Gary Irving, I'd be interested to know what you thought...

Thanks!

flo
10-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi,
There's also one with Jeff Nolt on Sunday evenings at Benfield Pines. I think it's much less expensive. It's also mixed level.

Mazurka Girl
10-29-2002, 08:33 AM
I have taken class with a number of coaches who I would consider masters of this type of class (McBrien, Murphy, etc), & the cost is normally quite a bit less than $25 for a 1 hr class. So for 45 min, it sounds expensive unless it is a very small class.

flo, what time is Jeff Nolt's class?

flo
10-29-2002, 08:50 AM
Hi,
It's on Sundays from 3:45-4:30. It's a mixed group. I went for a while when it was Sunday night, but it was too late in the day, but I may go now.
I took Tim Murphy's edge class and private lessons from him many years ago. It was wonderful, and that's how I learned to skate.
Ice World has been known for their high fees.