View Full Version : Music ideas for interpretive program?

dooobedooo
10-25-2002, 01:43 PM
Does anybody have any music ideas for an interpretive free-skating program? I am thinking of a fairly low level US Adult Bronze program but with plenty of interesting footwork, bauers and spread eagles. Something either evocative, or very musical, or a bit quirky. Any ideas?

icenut84
10-25-2002, 01:54 PM
Evocative, musical or quirky eh? Hmm. You say you want lots of footwork/bauers/eagles? Is that your strength (or just what you want the program to focus on)? What do you think your other strengths are? i.e. power, speed, difficulty/skill level, dance ability? Maybe you could forego the idea of a character and try to do something with a particular theme, style, pace etc? Maybe try to encompass a certain dance style? (Not ballet necessarily - not that original unless you're an accomplished ballet dancer). Just some ideas for you! :) Hope that helped

dooobedooo
10-25-2002, 02:01 PM
I've got all the elements (plus some others), edges, and plenty of speed and power. My jumps are not very high. It's more that the music should be suitable for an interpretive program (ie. capable of being interpreted), so this may be a character or it may be a mood.

I already have a standard free program at this level, which just contains required elements. However, my coach suggested doing another program to show off more difficult elements, but also where the music invites intricate footwork, because he is really creative with footwork and says this is where adults can excel. We're not just talking dance moves here, but fancy pivots, grapevines, toe steps, etc etc.

singerskates
10-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Well, what do you want to get across to the audience when you skate other than your tricks on ice?

YOu can use music with words, so all music is open to use. Anything that has a fast, slow and fast part. The music should be moving. Anything that builds is good too. If the music isn't dramatic then don't use it. You want to be able to feel the moves when your eyes are closed listening to it. If not, don't use it. Different is good but don't use weird. Try not to use music that is over used. ei Carmen, Gladiator and so on. Bring something that reminds the audience of something but that is new.

Brigitte
Skate Music Editor

Aussie Willy
10-26-2002, 05:56 AM
Well if you like and you are permitted to use vocals you can steal a piece of music I have used in the past and using again for another comp. It is "Love Cats" by the Cure. It is the kind of music you can put character into and do some fancy footwork. It has good medium speed but definately can be worked into a character type program. I still really enjoy it and I think it works very well for a skating program.