View Full Version : Injury Update: Who's hurt & who's healing

garyc254
10-25-2002, 01:43 PM
Thought it was time to hear from those that reported injuries a while back and those who may have been injured since then. How's your progress? If you've been off the ice for a while, when are you going to be able to get back on? What treatment(s) are you using?

As many know, I've been plagued with a sore rotator cuff for a while and skating with my arms down. Had an MRI last week and they found a tear in one of the muscles. I'm scheduled for surgery on Nov. 11 to try and correct it.

It was an old injury that became irritated when I started skating and holding my arms out. There's about a 50/50 chance it can be repaired.

Estimated time off of the ice: up to 8 weeks :(

But I will be back!!!! :D With a vengence!!!! :lol:

So, how is everyone else doing?

singerskates
10-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Still off of the ice. Still healing. Having an operation to remove a cyst on your ovary is no picnic. I was not having much pain until I got my period a few days back. It keeps feeling like someone is stabbing my in the ab where the cyst was. All you male skaters are soooooo lucky. You'll never have to go through this. Plus, you'd probably faint from the sight of blood. I am walking faster but as the day goes on, I seem to slow down. And I get so tired that my temperature goes below normal. Like last night before heading to bed, my temperature was 96.8 F. There isn't a thing like a reverse temp is there? I still have another week to go if all things go well before I can tell work I can come back and before I can get back on the ice to just stroke at first. Doc appointment on Thursday.

Brigitte

iceskaterdawn
10-25-2002, 05:23 PM
I fractured my shoulder in 2 places about 10 weeks ago. Luckily I did it the week after I took my tests. The bones have finally healed, but now they are going to look at muscle damage. A piece of bone broke off right where the muscle attaches to it, so they are concerned about that. At any rate I see a physical therapist on Monday. Hopefully I will be okay with just physcal therapy, otherwise I'll be having rotator cuff surgery as well. I'm still an estimated 8 to 10 more weeks of being off the ice provided I don't need surgery. If I do have surgery who knows how much longer I have off the ice.

I hope everyone else that is injured is feeling better and has a speedy recovery!

Dawn

erin_m
10-25-2002, 05:28 PM
Aww, Dawn, I hope you don't have to have surgery again :(

CanAmSk8ter
10-25-2002, 09:00 PM
I've had a very sore knee for about ten days now. Judging from what I've been reading, it sounds like I'm developing tendinitis, to go along with the tendinitis in my shoulder. Wonderful. I'm popping lots of Ibuprofin, but if it's not better my Monday I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor. I'm competing a week from tomorrow, so I haven't shared this with my coach yet. If it hasn't gone away after the competition I suppose I'll have to. When my shoulder flared up over the summer they gave me Vioxx and it helped a little, so I'll probably end up back on it.

anital
10-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Well, a bit more than a month ago I had a relapse from my stroke and am still having physio and stuff for that. BUT I had my first skating lesson since today and it was weird. I'll write about it in the lessons thread. As my new coach says "slowly slowly". Hope everyone is smiling, the only way is UP.

TashaKat
10-26-2002, 06:08 AM
Hi :) I hope that everyone is healing well.

I've got my cast off now (10 days ago, had a colles fracture) but still don't have full mobility or strength though it's getting better.

I'm not skating at the moment but not for injury reasons! I won't go into details but it involves selling my house, putting my stuff into storage (including ... duh .... dance boots, speaker wires (I have my stereo but can't connect the speakers), computer speakers, clothes and other things that I 'need' :roll: ). It's been a pretty stressful time recently and I'm adding to my stress levels by moving house, moving county (from the South of England to the North), moving jobs, moving rinks, finding a new man and then finding complications with new man :?? and a whole host of other things! I 'may' go back for a while in November, I'll have to see how I can manage it with the new job and financially. For the first time a couple of days ago I was like 'yes, I'd like to go back' ..... oh, plus I've put my skating outfits/leo's/tights etc into storage!!!

I'm quite suprised at how quickly I've got my mobility/strength back, especially as I haven't got a physio appointment yet! It still gets sore and hurts if I put a lot of pressure on it or do a twisting movement but it's not bad :) All I need to do now is do something to get rid of the 'lard' that I've accumulated from not skating! I DID join a gym but, erm, well it looks very nice from the outside!

Healing vibes to everyone

L x

garyc254
10-28-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by singerskates
And I get so tired that my temperature goes below normal. Like last night before heading to bed, my temperature was 96.8 F. There isn't a thing like a reverse temp is there?

When my girlfriend gets extremely sick and has all of the symptoms of a fever (chills, sweats, etc) her temperature always registers below normal.

In the 9 years we've been dating, she has never had a temperature reading above normal no matter how sick she was.

garyc254
10-28-2002, 02:24 PM
I keep telling her it's because her internal thermostat is broken. :lol:

Lili
10-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Argh.. last Thursday I pulled something behind my knee when I landed a 2sal in a split, now I cant land on that leg because when I do pain shoots down from my knee to my ankle. :( I will still skate though, and maybe just work on moves.

singerskates
10-30-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
I keep telling her it's because her internal thermostat is broken. :lol:

:lol: yeah, I'm broken but not for long. :lol:

singerskates
10-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Lili
Argh.. last Thursday I pulled something behind my knee when I landed a 2sal in a split, now I cant land on that leg because when I do pain shoots down from my knee to my ankle. :( I will still skate though, and maybe just work on moves.

Head straight to the doctor and get it check out. Can't keep skating like that. Could mess up the rest of your year if not taken care of. God Bless!

flo
10-31-2002, 11:27 AM
Hope everyone continues to recover AND take care of themselves. A reminder, if you can it's time for flu shots. Rinks are a wonderful vector of disease. I'm recovering more and more from my hip/groin injury. Last night I actually tried an outside eagle and a bauer. The muscles were wondering what was going on - I haven't done this since before Nationals - but it's a first step. Also had one of the best double sals I've ever had. I just have to remember to stop when I get tired.
Take care.