View Full Version : Three's and Waltz Jump Pics

tjskate
10-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Hi all:

Our club has these instructional pictures and tutorials on three turns and waltz jumps that you might be interested in. The pictures use a 'stop motion' approach that some find useful. We will be adding the front spin in a couple of weeks.

Skating Techniques Page (http://www.mintoskatingclub.com/skating_techniques/index.shtml)

Tim Shouldice
The Minto Skating Club

skatin' mom
10-25-2002, 12:12 PM
That is very informative, but I have always been told that the landing of the waltz jump is on the toepick, while your website seems to say to land on the blade, not the toepick? I'm confused!:roll:

tjskate
10-25-2002, 12:46 PM
I've had advice both ways on landing jumps on the toe-picks.

Some coaches encourage landing all jumps on the toe-pick. Their reasoning is that if the jump is under-rotated, landing on the toe-pick allow the skaters momentum to carry them around the extra 1/4 turn or so as the come down of the toe-pick and on to the blade. This is mostly emphasised on either the harder singles such as the lutz or axel and multi-rotation jumps however I could see a coach getting their students used to the practice by learning right from the waltz jump.

Others believe that if the jump is executed properly, the toe-pick landing can cause over-rotation for the same reason.

On the waltz jump I don't find under or over-rotations to be a problem so I land on my blade.

flippet
10-25-2002, 01:40 PM
tj, neat-o site, by the way!

Originally posted by skatin' mom
That is very informative, but I have always been told that the landing of the waltz jump is on the toepick, while your website seems to say to land on the blade, not the toepick? I'm confused!:roll:

When I land a waltz jump, I wouldn't say I land 'on' the toepick, but I wouldn't say I land 'on' the blade, either. The first almost implies a full-on pick landing, and the second almost implies a 'flat' landing. To avoid either of these problems, my landings usually 'brush' the toepick on the way to the blade, if that makes sense. The pick barely touches, if at all, but neither do I land only on the blade, as that makes for some jarring landings. Perhaps it's correct to say, land on the front of the blade? Or just behind the 'hole' between the rocker and pick? If you do that, the pick will likely touch and be part of the landing, but you don't land 'on' it.

Of course, I could just be crazy. :)

kayskate
10-25-2002, 02:09 PM
I agree w/ flippet. I also land grazing the toe pick. I think landing on my toe would cause too much impact as does landing on the flat.

Kay

tjskate
10-25-2002, 07:24 PM
I agree 100%, landing while rolling down on the blade feels the best. When I land on the flat of my blade it feels hard. I feel the same way with purely landing on the toe pick but I have seen skaters land this way.