View Full Version : Adult competition allowances in Canada?

singerskates
10-22-2002, 08:43 PM
hi, I'm moving up to adult prelim in competition. What jumps and spins are allowed in competition? Also my friend from Nova Scotia will be competing in adult junior bronze and hasn't competed in freeskating for a long time. What jumps and spins are junior bronze skaters allowed in adult skating? Music length for Adult Bronze and Junior Bronze?

I've tried to find out from announcements but none of the Canadian events have their announcements up yet.

Anyone know. Oh, this would be freeskating. We know the rules for interpretive.

Lee
10-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Since there are no adult tests in place in Canada yet, you'll be looking at the requirements as they sit in the StarSkate (test) program. Since prelim competitors usually must have passed the prelim FS test, you're looking at prelim elements at the minimum and upwards of an axel (that is required in the Jr. Bronze test). Someone competing at the Jr. Bronze level might be looking at seeing double sals or toes as one or the other is a requirement in the Sr. Bronze test as a solo jump and as part of a combination.

The adult event announcements I have seen have been no different in requirements than the 'kid' ones...test requirements are test requirements -- at least until some adult tests are developed.

arena_gal
10-23-2002, 09:46 PM
http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/pdf/03greatlakes.pdf
The competition package is on line for Great Lakes (London, Ont, January) and lists out all the requirements for each level, pre-prelim A,B,C,Jr bronze A,B etc and the music requirements. It's really a reprint of what's in the WOS technical package and they're all the same so use this as an example.

singerskates
10-24-2002, 02:59 PM
NO, the competitions for adults are written up differently. And the allowances are different. But what is allowed for adult prelim and adult junior bronze. Anyone here know?

lizzz
10-24-2002, 10:52 PM
SS.. according to the adult skate comp categories it' the same as the regular tract since there is no difference at this time. If it's allowed in prelim for kids it's allowed in prelim for adults. Same as Jr bronze.

****5. Adult Junior Bronze – The competitor must have passed the Junior Bronze Free Skate Test but not complete Sr. Bronze Free Skate Test. Program must be 2.0 to 2.5 minutes in length  10 seconds

****6. Adult Preliminary – The competitor must have passed the Preliminary Free Skate but not complete Jr. Bronze Free Skate Test. Program must be 1.5 to 2.0 minutes in length  10 seconds.

*****7. Adult Pre-preliminary – The competitor must not have passed any Skate Canada Free Skate Test. Program must be 1.5 minutes in length  10 seconds.

This came from the Skate Canada adult technical info stuff I requested from them. If you want a copy for yourself just email Skate canada and request a copy. They will be happy to send it to you.
Happy skating and I hope you are continuing to recover!

:)

arena_gal
10-24-2002, 11:14 PM
The only "adult" category is the one that says "age 11&over". (and make sure you send that birth certificate!) There aren't any easier standards for adults in Canada. Just age groupings if the numbers warrant, and the numbers aren't there.

singerskates
10-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by lizzz
SS.. according to the adult skate comp categories it' the same as the regular tract since there is no difference at this time. If it's allowed in prelim for kids it's allowed in prelim for adults. Same as Jr bronze.

****5. Adult Junior Bronze – The competitor must have passed the Junior Bronze Free Skate Test but not complete Sr. Bronze Free Skate Test. Program must be 2.0 to 2.5 minutes in length  10 seconds

****6. Adult Preliminary – The competitor must have passed the Preliminary Free Skate but not complete Jr. Bronze Free Skate Test. Program must be 1.5 to 2.0 minutes in length  10 seconds.

*****7. Adult Pre-preliminary – The competitor must not have passed any Skate Canada Free Skate Test. Program must be 1.5 minutes in length  10 seconds.

This came from the Skate Canada adult technical info stuff I requested from them. If you want a copy for yourself just email Skate canada and request a copy. They will be happy to send it to you.
Happy skating and I hope you are continuing to recover!

:)

This is what I found from last year's Skate Canada COS Adult Spring Skate announcement. It was hidding in another drive that my hubby made for me when he gave me a bigger drive jsut after I got home from the hospital.

FREE SKATE

Event #1 Adult Senior Bronze – must have passed the Jr. Bronze Free Skate but not higher than the Sr. Bronze Free Skate Test. Program must be 2.5 to 3.0 minutes in length ± 10 seconds.

Event #2 Adult Junior Bronze – must have passed the Preliminary Free Skate Test but not higher than the Jr. Bronze Free Skate Test. Program must be 2.0 to 2.5 minutes in length ± 10 seconds. Axels are permitted but no double jumps are allowed.

Event #3 Adult Preliminary – must have passed the Preliminary Free Skate but no higher Free Skate Test. Program must be 1.5 minutes in length ± 10 seconds. No Axels or double jumps permitted.

Event #4 Adult Pre-Preliminary– must not have passed any Skate Canada Test. Program must be 1.5 minutes in length ± 10 seconds. No Axels, double jumps, combination or flying spins permitted.

INTERPRETIVE EVENTS

Age categories specified earlier in this document will apply for interpretive events, but may be combined depending on the number of entries. This program shall contain a variety of skating moves. These moves should be selected for their value in enhancing the choreographic interpretation of the music rather than for their technical difficulty. Double or triple jumps may not be included. Other jumps are allowed, but no credit will be given for their technical difficulty.

The skater is unrestricted as to choice of music. Vocal music may be used. Length of program is not to exceed 2.5 minutes.
Costumes should be tastefully selected to enhance the mood of the program. Props may not be used. A prop is defined as any item that is not attached to the costume, is held in the hand of the skater or is
intentionally removed from the costume at some point during the performance.

The Interpretive Program shall be marked using the following criteria:
(a) Skating Skills - quality of skating, use of ice, expressive/innovative moves and style
(b) Presentation - interpretation of music, use of whole body, creativity and choreography

Event #12 Diamond - must have passed the Jr. Silver Free Skate Test but not higher than the Sr. Silver Free Skate Test nor higher than the complete Gold Dance Test. Program must be between 1.5 to 2.5 minutes in length.

Event #13 Gold - must have passed the Sr. Bronze Free Skate Test but not higher than the Jr. Silver Free Skate Test nor higher than the complete Sr. Silver Dance Test. Program must be between 1.5 to 2.5 minutes in length.

Event #14 Silver – must have passed the Jr. Bronze Free Skate Test but not higher than the Sr. Bronze Free Skate Test nor higher than the complete Jr. Silver Dance Test. Program must be between 1.5 to 2.5 minutes in length.

Event #15 Bronze – must have passed the Preliminary Free Skate Test but not higher than the Jr. Bronze Free Skate Test nor higher than the complete Sr. Bronze Dance Test. Program must be between 1.5 to 2.5 minutes in length.

PRACTICE ICE: There will be no official practice ice.

I have emailed Skate Canada to get the new competition rules emailed to me. I asked for it to be sent in PFD file format. I'll be sticking the PFD on my Competitive Adult Skater yahoo group site. You can access the site and join it by clicking on the link on the page here with my post "www".

rinsk
10-26-2002, 04:10 PM
I don't think I've ever really seen any specify element requirements in Skate Canada test/Star skate level competitions.

If you are looking for competition announcements, the Quebec Federation has info up for Michel Proulx in Laval next March (the announcement may not be finalized though so I guess changes are still possible).

Generally, prelim and Jr. bronze skaters will put in all the single jumps that they can do, a few combinations or series (usually repeating jumps that they feel are their best or to combine several of the "easy" jumps together to save time -such as waltz jump-salchow-cherry instead of doing them all in isolation- or to show that they can do a relatively difficult jump in combination -such as lutz-lutz-loop) and then axel or any double jump that the skater can land or can give a good shot at (try to avoid have too many "just a good shot" jumps though).

As for spins, I'd assume it would be of benefit to show as many positions of the upright, sit, camel (maybe layback if it's consistent) as you can do. If you get decent rotations out of a flying spin, bonus points (you won't be penalized for not having one) and a combination spin and/or a spin with a change of foot is probably a good idea if you have one consitently (especially for the Jr Bronze competitor).

I haven't seen any Canadian adult freestyle competitions to tell how high skaters tend to go in jumps at those levels but I'm willing to guess that more adults will test as soon as they're really to test a level rather than hold off to compete and show up at a Jr Bronze level competition with a double lutz and a cheated double axel.