View Full Version : What Gold-Medal level is everyone here?

FSWer
10-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Say, after my post on Double-Gold Medalist, it makes me think more, and I am only courious. But what Gold Medal level is everyone here? Thanks.

CanAmSk8ter
10-19-2002, 09:20 PM
There's no such thing as a Gold Medal level. Either you have it or you don't. Are you actually asking whether there are any Gold Medalists here, and what discipline? We may have a couple of Adult Gold skaters (which is different than being a standard track gold medalist; an Adult Gold freeskater is not the same as a Senior freeskater) and we have people who have passed some of their Gold dances. I'm pretty sure we have a few people here who have passed their Gold Dance. But as usual, anyone who is really competitive at the Senior level probably isn't going to want to come right out and say who they are.

FSWer
10-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Yes

backspin
10-19-2002, 11:30 PM
hi FSWer

There are two different meanings of "gold medalist", that maybe you aren't aware of.

Meaning #1: a person who has won a gold medal at a competition, like nationals or worlds.

Meaning #2: a person who has passed a skating skills test at the "gold" level.

You see, figure skaters have to pass tests at different levels that get harder and harder. Whatever test you have passed is how we determine what level you can compete at. This makes it more fair, to have people of similar skating levels competing against each other.

When people here on the boards talk about being a gold medalist, they're almost certainly talking about the test level.

How the test levels are named depends on your age, and the type of skating you're doing.

Ice dancers test through levels named: preliminary, pre-bronze, bronze, pre-silver, silver, pre-gold, gold.

Adult freestyle skaters (over age 25) test through levels that are: pre-bronze, bronze, silver, gold.

Younger (freestyle) skaters test levels that are named (from lowest to highest): pre-preliminary, preliminary, pre-juvenile, juvenile, intermediate, novice, junior, senior.

So you see, if a skater has tested through all those levels, it is quite an accomplishment. But a person with their gold test may never have competed at all. Some people just skate and go through the tests, but may not like to compete, or may not be able to afford it.

I hope that clears up some confusion you may have.

(by the way, I've tested through my pre-silver dances, and I have one more silver dance to go (there are 3), to get my silver dance test.) ;)

FSWer
10-20-2002, 07:11 PM
A little bit. If someone sees icetiff though. Please dirrect her to this thread? Thanks.

Jack
10-21-2002, 03:49 PM
One gold medal!! Working on one more... ::crosses fingers:: ;)