View Full Version : What are worse?

knocking
10-18-2002, 11:54 AM
I am assuming many people on this board spend or have spent some of their time in a rink. I have a question about pushy skating mom vs competitive skating dads...We probably have all seen them..I am wondering from the perspective from your rink which is worse?

JDC1
10-18-2002, 01:34 PM
In my experience the only two skating dads I've talked to were very cool and laid back. HOWEVER we have a hockey dad who also coaches who is the biggest JERK and he's far worse than any of the skating moms.

garyc254
10-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Both are worse.

It may appear that pushy skating moms are worse, but that's because there are more of them at the rinks than the competitive dads.

Overall, at my rinks, there are really very few of either (thankfully). Most of the moms and dads are very supportive of their skaters. They cheer and offer constructive criticism, but don't get pushy or over-competitive. They just try to motivate.

Yazmeen
10-18-2002, 02:36 PM
At the rinks I'm at, most parents are just great; However, I've seen more, shall we say, "unrealistic" expectations with hockey fathers versus figure skating moms. Most of the Moms know that they did not give birth to the next Michelle Kwan!!! Many of the dads, though, can have brains clouded with visions of "hockey scholarship" or the "next Gretzky." I've seen some little guys pushed onto the ice at too young an age or when they just plain don't want to do it because Daddy plays hockey or has big dreams for his little one. There is also NOTHING more hazardous on the practice side of the ice than a hockey Dad, skating backwards and not paying attention to what or who is behind him while he watches his son in a lesson on the other half of the ice. Grrr, that really burns me up, and I've been hit by them, and seen little kids get hurt by colliding with these idiots. :x

garyc254
10-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
Many of the dads, though, can have brains clouded with visions of "hockey scholarship" or the "next Gretzky."

I hadn't thought about that aspect. Seems like most of the time I'm on or around the ice that there are a lot more figure skaters than hockey, hence more moms than dads. I'm sure it would be different if it were the other way around.

ginamarie
10-18-2002, 03:26 PM
At my home rink, there's this one girl who a really good skater. The only thing is, her mom is the pushy type. Stresses her up, making her feel and believe that she MUST come first in every competition, then when she doesn't, scolds her...etc...

I'm not sure if she completely enjoys skating anymore seeing that her mom scolds her whenever she can't get an element right or when something goes wrong in the program....:x

Then there are the parents who shout out instructions, about an element, to their child from the barriers for the whole world to know.

rinsk
10-18-2002, 07:32 PM
At my rink, I think we have more skate dad "coaches" that skate mom "coaches" (you know, the hang over the boards telling your kid what to do, sometimes making more sense than others). Very distracting to the poor kid on the ice and the people the poor kid runs into while trying to skate and listen to dad at the same time.

Our competitive moms are pretty happy sitting under the heaters in the stands calming comparing notes on whose child is more talented. Much less distracting...

Chico
10-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Anyone, mom, dad, or other, being a coach when their not is a pain. In my book you hire a coach you trust to do a good job. Why some folks feel the need to try to do this job is past me. I appreciate folks telling me what they see, "Your arms are above your head" for instance. I pay my coach,or as a parent, I pay a coach to teach my child. If I'm picking though....I'd say the mom's. I haven't seen many dad's, and I have seen mom's become.....down right awful. The dad's I have seen seem more layed back.

Chico

supersk8er
10-18-2002, 10:03 PM
From my experiences...I find that skating dads are more silently competitive, while skating moms (which in my opinion are worse), voice their opinions quite obnoxiously. I'd say that skating moms are much worse because skating dads aren't harming other skaters, but skating moms will sometimes try and manipulate the competition of their daughter/son. Alright...just my opinion.

melanieuk
10-19-2002, 10:48 AM
Skating mums - in general - have got to be "harder to get along with" than the silently competitive skate dads. :?: ;)

jasmine
10-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Skatedads tend not to go in for the "tittletattle coven" scene, which instantly makes them far more loveable. :)

Figure skatedads don't seem to be so obsessed with their kid's progress as the mums; I am not involved enough in hockey to know much about hockeydads, but I have heard HORRIFIC things about soccerdads (beating up their rivals on the touchline, etc.) 8O

RoaringSkates
10-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Hockey dads can be very agressive and competitive. I enjoy interacting with them the least of all the skating parents. However, there are some great hockey dads, too, so I won't judge based just on the fact that a person is a hockey dad. :??