View Full Version : Possible New Home: figureskatingforums.net

JimStanmore
08-28-2010, 01:30 PM
EDIT:
Sunday afternoon EST, 29 Aug 10, skatingforums.com will be replaced with the site currently accessible at figureskatingforums.net. In order to move forward with this change we ask that you register at the new site as soon as possible because we cannot transfer registrations. Some of the "old" posts will be available on the new site as searchable, indexed text, most notably the On Ice forum. As we move on, please thank Adrian for having supported this community for so many years.

I have been talking with Isk8NYC about a new home for us. This is such a unique community that I hate to see it dispersed. I am in the process of setting up a similar forum if anyone is interested. The final url will be figureskatingforums.net. I am working at getting some of the previous posts archived there.

It is located at:

http://figureskatingforums.net/

Take a look and you can even register as a new member. Sorry, I am not able to transfer registrations, but it will be self-validating for the next couple of days. Please post your comments. I am hoping Isk8NYC continues moderating:-)

Isk8NYC
08-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Be brutally honest, people. If you're not interested, tell Jim now before he does even more work. Don't say you'll give it a try if you really would prefer to go a different route.

I've been through four other board shut downs and it's never easy. It's sad and yes, things will be lost and people will lose contact. It does create the opportunity to renew, refresh and build a better mousetrap, which is what Jim's proposing.

We have a lot of knowledgeable members who can recreate their best suggestions and Renatele has located archives of this site that can serve as what this site has really become: an online reference library.

I sent Jim a few suggestions for the structure of the new board that lessens the "fan focus" but strengthens the skating focus, adding off-ice and equipment forums and providing some privacy from lurkers in the non-skating discussion areas.

I'm willing to stay on as a moderator, but only if there's interest. There's nothing sadder than a dead message board. That's the biggest advantage of migrating to an existing site that's already active.

So consider carefully.

icestalker
08-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Brutally honest: I don't want to move to another board. I want to make a new home for us, which Jim is doing.

Another brutally honest: I will die if the on ice archives are lost. Please try to save them. I've been saving some of the ones that can help me, but it's a lot of work.

Though I am a teen and don't really fit in with the adults here, I still love the board and the atmosphere.

Off-ice and equipment forums: great idea. I registered as Sierra over there.

Jim:
THANK YOU

JimStanmore
08-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I have all of the posts downloaded. Another member is downloading the archive (renatele.) The only trick is how we post them back up. Worst case will be a text/pdf file for each thread. I am trying to at least get it to searchable, threaded html pages. They are not going anywhere because I just started readining through them 2 days ago and the info is irreplaceable.

Just a little patience, everyone. The color and general layout may change a bit over the next couple of days. And, it will take a few days to get the "old" stuff up.

I hope most of you come on over. Out of all the forums I frequent, this has been the best community.

Clarice
08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
This has by far been my favorite board, so I will definitely give the new one a try. I am also registered at FSU, and like it for different things, but hope that this community can remain more or less intact on the new forum. Thank you, Jim et al, for the work you are doing. I would have absolutely no idea how to begin.

Skittl1321
08-28-2010, 02:48 PM
If a new forum can recapture what we have here- I'd participate.

Of the existing forums, FSU is the only one I plan to stay active on.

Sessy
08-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Jim, are you making the html's, if you make those, crawlable by google? Also, what's the security encryption on our passwords and the like?

I for one am not attached to my current nickname at all since it's obsolete - I don't use it anywhere else anymore, so I'd also like to take the opportunity to re-register with a new profile, but that's just me personally. Would that be OK?

icestalker
08-28-2010, 03:26 PM
If this board shuts down today or tomorrow, a lot of the members might have no idea what happened, or where to find us, if they haven't been on here in the last couple of days. Can the new forum be tagged somehow so it can be found by google search, or can emails be sent out to all the members, or something?

JimStanmore
08-28-2010, 03:27 PM
The security is the same as on other forums.
There are no restrictions on user names.
Right now renatele is handling the archiving, but we are trying to make it s usable and friendly as possible. If anyone has good way to back-up the info more conveniently, please let us know.

icestalker, I was wondering about that. The mod might do that tomorrow, but today is their day off because

today is

Isk8NYC's birthday

Happy Birthday!!!

Scarlett
08-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you for creating this. I have registered at the new forum under a new name.

Thanks again.

Terri C
08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I've registered too and plan to tell others!!

BlueSkate
08-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks for creating this :). Is it possible for the link to be sent out to everyone registered on this forum before it closes? I think it would be such a shame if non-regular members missed out on the resources the new forum can offer just because they've not checked this forum in a while.

aussieskater
08-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Brutally honest - like I said in another thread, FSU does not have what we have here. I've already registered (same username) and hope to see you all there.

Thank you so much, Jim and others who are working to make this happen.

Happy birthday Isk8NYC!!

Query
08-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Will all the Messages be lost?

FSWer
08-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Whatever happens...we have to go to a new Board before this shuts down for whatever reason it is. So we can find each other again. Because I love each and every one of you. I also registered on that Board. My account is activated. But now the Log-in link won't work. BTW. wereever we go. What will happen with my Training Reports? Can they be transfered? Or do I need to start a new thread?

dbny
08-28-2010, 09:38 PM
As I've said elsewhere, I've spammed everyone I have contact with via email and/or FaceBook, urging them to register at Jim's new board.

JimStanmore
08-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Query, messages will be available either in text or html form within the next week, or so.

FSWer, what is the link doing? If you still have problems, PM me here or there. Also, your training reports will be available at least as a single text file. Please start another training report thread on figureskatingforums (fsf) from today on.

dbny, OUR new board. All I did was jump first - many had the idea.

FSWer
08-28-2010, 09:55 PM
What does that mean about my Training Reports? Also I registered with the name FSWer. But it asked me to make my password capital/small/and numbers and I needed it to be 8. But now I can't long in. When I hit log-in it won't work. Gee this happens every time. BTW. why is it shutting down?

JimStanmore
08-28-2010, 10:05 PM
FSWer, you will need to start a new thread to keep us posted on your activities. The previous posts you made in the FSWer's Training Reports thread, http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24919, on this forum will be available soon for people to read on the new forum.

If you have forgotten your password, we can reset it for you.

I wish I knew why it is shutting down. I have only been a member for a short time and don't really know the forum owner at all. He has his own reasons that have not been shared with us for shutting it down. Remember, all of these years have been a voluntary effort paying for hosting and administrating the site. I am grateful for that and respect his wishes as much as I hope others would respect mine.

FSWer
08-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Can somebody please get me in!!!!!! I registered...but now it refruses to log me in,or even to work for me. I keep getting errors. I give up.

JimStanmore
08-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I pm'd you with a new password. Please copy and paste, or retype the error messages so that I can duplicate the problem. We may be able to help others from having the same headaches.

jjane45
08-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Thank you.................!!!!!!!!

Query
08-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Oh dear. Skatingforums.com has been one of my favorite homes on the Internet. It is THE best forum about skating technique and related issues.

I would love it if http://skatingforums.com and http://figureskatingforum.net

could be remapped to http://figureskatingforums.net

(i.e., set up as a sub-domain...)

but with a page that explains the change.

That way no one who uses skatingforums.com will be quite as confused.

It's bad enough that http://skatingforum.com has been used as a links page by someone else, as a deliberate misdirection to mess us all up.

JimStanmore
08-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Query, many things are in process (oooh, the air of mystery.) We have just found out that we may be getting the old url for the new site (yah!) An unfortunate aspect of the current changes is that we will not be able to keep the structure of the old forum intact. It will most likely exist in the form of pages carrying the posts in a thread, mainly for the On Ice forums.

So much is dependent on what the technology will allow us to transfer. For example, WebTV seems to have a problem with the new forum coding that has to be fixed so, tonight/morning is shot. Who knew? We are also working against an unspecified time limit. When the plug is pulled on this forum, it is gone.

I will say that Adrian is helping quite a bit and displaying the same class that motivated him to support skatingforums all of these years. Isk8NYC is toiling away, although she had the audacity to take time off to teach lessons today and tomorrow, LOL. Renatele is copying away. And, best of all, conversation is starting to happen at the new site. And that is what it is all about, anyway...

JimStanmore
08-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Sunday, 29 Aug 10, skatingforums.com will be replaced with the site currently accessible at figureskatingforums.net. In order to move forward with this change we ask that you register at the new site as soon as possible because we cannot transfer registrations. Some of the "old" posts will be available on the new site as searchable, indexed text, most notably the On Ice forum. As we move on, please thank Adrian for having supported this community for so many years.

katz in boots
08-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks You, all who worked on this !!!!:bow:

Goodbye skating forums (sob). I am registered and look forward to seeing everyone there.

mdvask8r
08-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks to all who made this the ONLY skating forum I bothered to stay with. See you all in the new place -- I've registered under a new name.

FREESK8ER
08-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone for this forum past and future. I registered today.