View Full Version : Any way we can save the On-Ice threads before the Board shuts down for good??

aussieskater
08-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I just saw Adrian's post at the top of the board! I'm about to cry - this has been such a nice board to be on. So many of the others are either frequented by youngsters rather than adults, and/or they're snarky.

Does anyone have any idea how we can save the On-Ice threads? Having them available to search has been a lifesaver for me, in more ways than one!

icestalker
08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I have no technical knowledge, but is there any way to save them in some sort of cached form, or something? Or are they downloadable?

disclaimer: i have no idea what i'm talking about, as you can see.

Isk8NYC
08-27-2010, 07:57 PM
After you open a thread, click on the "thread options" link at the top of the page.

Select "Show Printable Version"
The first 40 posts in the thread will be displayed on a plain-text page.
<alt><file><save as>
Type a unique file name and change the "Save as type" to "Text File (*.txt)"

Page forward to capture the next 40 posts, then repeat until done.

I asked Adrian if we could somehow archive the On Ice forums to plain text, but I don't know if that's possible. It might be a lot of work for him.

renatele
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Hmm, archive.org seems to have been regularly visiting the forum, see this: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://skatingforums.com

It would seem that the last "update" was in 2008, however if you click through to the saved pages, and then go to particular forums (like "on ice - skaters"), you will see even today's posts there, saved on archive.org. Big problem, though: there is no easy way to navigate the forums back in time through archive.org, and only the board default 2 weeks are shown. I have to play around with this...

oniceagain
08-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Would someone else be able to take over this site from adrian? Maybe we could collectively keep it going.

dbny
08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Would someone else be able to take over this site from adrian? Maybe we could collectively keep it going.

That is a GREAT idea! I would pay annual dues for that. Maybe Isk8NYC can find out from Adrian what it would entail.

dbny
08-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I've been doing searches for topics I'm interested in and doing a simple copy and paste into Notepad (any text editor will do) to save particular posts.

Isk8NYC
08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I sent an email to Adrian, but I don't think he's online right now. I'm busy tomorrow morning, but I'll try to let you all know if/when he responds.

aussieskater
08-27-2010, 09:48 PM
That is a GREAT idea! I would pay annual dues for that. Maybe Isk8NYC can find out from Adrian what it would entail.

Count me in as someone who'd be happy to pay something towards the Board's upkeep.

SkaterBird
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Same here - I'd be fine with paying a fee for the board's upkeep also.
Mimi

JimStanmore
08-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I was wondering about paid subscriptions, too. I am a supporting member on a couple of boards way less useful than this one.