View Full Version : Spin Clinic - Introduction

Isk8NYC
08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
In the Spin-Challenged Sympathy thread, I suggested a weekly "Spin Clinic" thread to focus on a particular topic each week, in the hopes of enlightening someone and helping them spin better. Response was good, so we'll try it for a week or two. If there are no responses, I'll just stop creating the threads.

First, we should get a feel for what would be most useful to the most number of people with the "Spin Clinic" threads. I'll start the threads every week, but, anyone should feel welcome to chime in and give specific suggestions on the topic or to a particular post.

Before we start the proposed "Spin Clinic" threads, let's find out what's needed. Some people know (or have been told) that it's their body alignment, core strength, poor technique, etc.

What, in particular, seems to be the main problem for those struggling to spin?

singerskates
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
My spin entries on both the forward and backward spins are not hooking properly. I have had hip injuries and problems. I've spent lots of time at the chiropractor for my hips. I haven't been using the gym equipment at the gym much though.

I need to get a local skating buddy to go to the gym with me and egg me on to use the gym equipment.

The other is the problem is getting my free leg to stay back and up on my camel spins. Need to get 4 revs so that when I test or compete, I'm guareenteed 3 revs before changing positions. I tend to either find myself changing positions too early or falling out of the camel and completely ruining the camel spin.

Another is the subconscience fear of spinning on the outside edge [for the backspin]. Yes it's the same edge I land all my jumps on. Why is it that if I'm within arms reach of the boards, I can do a 2 or 3 rev back spin but as soon as I get further away from the boards, I totally subatoge the backspin? How do I beat my brain and get that backspin to work away from the boards?

kayskate
08-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I would say mine is learning new positions. Spinning is my strength, but this is always a challenge. Also maintaining/ gaining speed through transitions.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
08-26-2010, 02:38 PM
My backspin is much better than my scratch. My scratch breaks down the minute I step into my circle...if I stay down low & long enough it's better but still not great. Also, I've seen a lot of variation with height of the free leg in the scratch-mine is very low but some I've seen raised hip-height. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I've done lots of core work but since my weight loss (and back injury) my scratch tanked.

ChristyRN
08-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Where is the "all of the above" option?

It's different each time, but I think my biggest problem is posture. My right hip drops, and I can't bring the right leg around.

jjane45
08-26-2010, 04:52 PM
To actually find the ball and stay on it! Toe pick scratches the ice badly that you can hear my foward foot spin 2 miles away, and backspin goes on the heel (hence technically not a backspin). Sit spins are the only ones on the ball and feel very smooth.

Thank you so much for this thread!

ETA: dizziness... I feel MUCH dizzier doing a change foot spin than a forward spin plus backspin with more combined revolutions. Maybe partly because I was wildly off-balance during the change?

aussieskater
08-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Where's dizziness?? I practise rotating at home as well, but no matter what I do, I just can't get rid of the unsettled tummy which comes with the dizziness. Everyone said it would get better with time, but it hasn't?

Isk8NYC
08-26-2010, 08:37 PM
I just added dizziness to the top of the list. Not being afflicted with that problem...as Steve Martin would say: "I forgot." Sorry!

Looks like traveling spins are the leading topic so far. If it's still ahead by tomorrow, I'll start a thread so everyone can contribute their best cause-and-effect analyses and suggestions for the wandering spin. Start your correction drill thoughts!

Where is the "all of the above" option?LOL - just vote for every one of the options, I guess. Or maybe just the biggest problem or two, to bump them up in priority?

Kim to the Max
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
While, I would have marked centering, the only spin I can really not center on a regular basis is a scratch spin, but I've never been able to center that, so I'm not too worried. All of my other spins center.

Right now, my issue is some tendonitis issues in my knees that is clearing up slowly (my starting to work with my trainer is helping a lot - my muscles are horribly out of balance which I suspect is a contributing factor), so my sit spins are more geriatric as my coach calls them than the normal butt to the ice spin I can normally do. I know that will eventually come back once the tendonitis clears up.

Secondly and more importantly (because I don't have a forward sit in my program, just a camel/layback/back sit and a flying camel, and I can still do a decent back sit), my flying camel has some....oomph....issues. I go in with plenty of speed, but cannot maintain that speed when I land in the back camel from the "flying" part.

jwrnsktr
08-26-2010, 08:51 PM
I keep falling to the inside edge so the circles get bigger and bigger. Can only maintain about 3 revs on a one foot spin. Can't seem to get into the right position and maintain it. Ever.

katz in boots
08-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Trying to keep good body position on entry edge & stay down long enough, I lose so much speed. By the time I've thought about all the things I have to, I've run out of revs.

Also too toey on scratch spins, which probably further slows me down.

Backspins, I cannot get the weight over the ball of the foot. I somehow end too far back on the blade and scraping to a stop (or making emergency exit as gracefully as I can).:P

fsk8r
08-27-2010, 04:50 AM
well I'd win the intercontinental spin competition every time... I've heard it's a bit difficult to travel a sit spin, but don't worry I've got that one nailed as well.
And my camel and sit spins struggle as I don't have my weight over my skate.