View Full Version : blade size for boots 1/4 gap or not

Andy
08-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Hi
Does your blade/base plate totally fit your boot , toe to heal or do you have a gap ? 1/4 , does it realy matter
Your expeience appreciated as its a hot topic in the United Kingdom (England , Scotland , Wales)

Andy

Isk8NYC
08-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Yes, the blade length does matter, but the choice often depends on the skater's personal preference.

Some boot manufacturers, like Klingbeil, prefer the heel-to-toe blade length. Riedell and others recommend the 1/4" gap length.

The blade is mounted at the toe edge in both cases, leaving any gap at the heel.

On a shorter blade, the rocker would be ever-so-slightly forward under the foot and the "tail" would be shorter.

The longer blade provides some additional stability on the ice but sometimes feels clumsy and awkward.

Once upon a time, I was an advocate of buying toe-to-heel length blades for growing skaters, but I've since changed my mind. If you have a boot stretched, it often allows enough room that you can delay buying new boots a bit longer than normal. When we (finally!) bought new boots, they were inevitably too long for the old blades. We've been using the 1/4" shorter blades now and the skaters are doing fine on them.

fsk8r
08-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Yes, the blade length does matter, but the choice often depends on the skater's personal preference.

Some boot manufacturers, like Klingbeil, prefer the heel-to-toe blade length. Riedell and others recommend the 1/4" gap length.

The blade is mounted at the toe edge in both cases, leaving any gap at the heel.

On a shorter blade, the rocker would be ever-so-slightly forward under the foot and the "tail" would be shorter.

The longer blade provides some additional stability on the ice but sometimes feels clumsy and awkward.

Once upon a time, I was an advocate of buying toe-to-heel length blades for growing skaters, but I've since changed my mind. If you have a boot stretched, it often allows enough room that you can delay buying new boots a bit longer than normal. When we (finally!) bought new boots, they were inevitably too long for the old blades. We've been using the 1/4" shorter blades now and the skaters are doing fine on them.

Depends if you can get the boot stretched. I've heard recommendations of the longer blade on one pair of boots and then they'll fit when the skater goes up a size. But this one in an area where boot stretching wasn't common.

It's also worth bearing in mind that in switching between manufacturers the differences in heel height within the same size boot may necessitate a change of blade.

Andy
08-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Thanks both
What your opinons if they are dance blades and because of the shorter tail part of the blade ?? better not to have the 1/4 gap ??

Andy

fsk8r
08-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks both
What your opinons if they are dance blades and because of the shorter tail part of the blade ?? better not to have the 1/4 gap ??

Andy

Just because they're dance blades shouldn't affect the fitting on the sole.
you will however notice a difference in your skating when you lose the tail.
The length shouldn't affect things as the spin rocker should still be under the same portion of the foot (hence why you always fit to the toe of the boot).

Andy
08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you for this
And a hello from England8-)

Andy