View Full Version : Heel inserts and waiting to hear back

davincisoprano1
08-17-2010, 02:29 PM
I applied at my rink for a job, I interviewed on Friday, and have yet to hear back. They said I'd hear something by "early next week" as in yesterday, today, or tomorrow this week. I'm sitting on edge because I need a way to pay for lessons because I want to take them and my parents aren't going to help since I'm about to graduate college. I just want to know if I got the job. They've seen me at the rink almost EVERY DAY and they know I know how to skate and that I know about skates and skating, so I don't see how I wouldn't get the job, unless they wanted someone older than 22.

I also got myself some heel inserts today for my skates. I've realized in the last few weeks that my heels are lifting when I skate which is keeping me from getting enough power in my stroking because my boots aren't tight. (I've gained/lost/gained/lost weight in the last 8 years since I got my skates, I'm now back on the losing streak aiming to get to a healthy weight finally) The weight gain/weight loss has made my feet change size, so my skates were fit to someone who had size 8.5 feet, when now I have size 6.5... I can't buy new skates because I don't have the money to, and I don't want to buy a new pair only to have to get another pair when I've lost the weight for good. So, right now I'm giving myself to Christmas to lose 30 pounds before I talk to my parents again about getting new skates (mom said she'd look into them for christmas/my birthday).

In the meantime I have heel inserts for my skates which made a considerable difference in my skating. It was easier to push off because my skate didn't feel loose and they were fairly comfy. It was weird for the first few minutes because it felt like I had something under my foot (which I did) but it wasn't uncomfortable. :)

I'm hoping to start up lessons again sometime in the next two weeks, and I have a goal to do the Christmas show. It's the day after I graduate so I think it would be a good way to celebrate haha!

I guess this turned into kind of a novel, huh. Have you all found it helped you if you added orthotics into your skates?

Audryb
08-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I have inserts under my heels, homemade insoles, and multiple layers of thin foam taped to the insides of my skates all around the heels and ankles. My biggest problem now is that the foam is starting to compress, so the skates are loosening up again. In my case, the fitting issues stem from this being my first pair of skates, which I bought from my rink's pro shop based on a measurement by someone who is by no means an expert. That and they only sell Jackson. Based on Jackson's measurement chart, the ball of my foot is a D or E width (and the length of my foot should put me in a 4 1/2) but I'm wearing size 5B. And the heels are way too wide. Unfortunately, I can't afford new boots right now, especially not customs, so I make do :-)

Query
08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
I tried a number of things to modify the shape of my insoles and boots in general. Athletic tape (e.g., "coach's tape", etc.) does not compress much, and is essentially permanent if applied underneath the insole. It is also hypo-allergenic - as safe as they could make it to be near your skin. Some non-medical tapes, adhesives and foams may not be as safe.

But in other places inside your boot, like on the sides, you need something sticker like Moleskin, even if it gradually compresses. Like athletic tape, it is designed to be safe to have near your skin.

Audryb, If the heel is too loose, not only is the skate hard to control, but you may develop blisters. it isn't hard to fill in the spaces around your heel. To some extant you can do that from beneath the insole there. You can also make what I call "wings" - places where the tape extends (stick sides stuck to itself upwards from the insole, along side your foot. Or you can press Moleskin onto the leather in there, if you don't have a furry liner inside the boot.

I discuss making your own boot mods in my page, below. I think it has to be done by someone medical to be called an "orthotic", but the concepts are the same - it's all pretty obvious and easy to do, unless you have a non-obvious medical problem, so if you are good at figuring things out, you may not need a doctor, etc. to make you the equivalent of an orthotic.

davincisoprano1
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
1) I GOT HIRED!!!!!!!!!

2) My boots aren't moving around as much, the Dr. Scholl's inserts definitely helped. :)

Audryb
08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Query, I've read lots and lots and lots of your comments on modifying boot fit, and have even taken some of your suggestions, such as making my own insoles to give myself a little more room width-wise in the front of my skate. However, I think it would take an entire roll, maybe more, of athletic tape in each skate to take up the kind of room we're talking about in my heels, and like you pointed out yourself, tape comes off the sides. Moleskin is also pretty thin, and it would be expensive to buy enough of it to fill in the space around my heels. The foam works, and if it ends up compressing, I'll just have to deal with redoing it occasionally.

Audryb, If the heel is too loose, not only is the skate hard to control, but you may develop blisters. it isn't hard to fill in the spaces around your heel. To some extant you can do that from beneath the insole there. You can also make what I call "wings" - places where the tape extends (stick sides stuck to itself upwards from the insole, along side your foot. Or you can press Moleskin onto the leather in there, if you don't have a furry liner inside the boot.

dbny
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
1) i got hired!!!!!!!!!

2) my boots aren't moving around as much, the dr. Scholl's inserts definitely helped. :)

Happy to hear your quick fix for the boots helped.

CONGRATULATIONS on landing the job!

Query
08-18-2010, 07:00 PM
QHowever, I think it would take an entire roll, maybe more, of athletic tape...

Sounds like you've got what you want.

That's what counts.

JimStanmore
08-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Congrats, davinci. I got an application Monday to be a skate guard. I still haven't turned it in yet because the job level is so different from what I normally do and it would mix my business life with my "other" life. But, hey, I want to be an instructor/coach in the not too distant future. I figure that I will get more ice time to work on basic stroking and crossovers without having to pay for it - I'd never spend an entire session on that even though I need to in order to catch up the 10 or 15 years of ice skills I am lacking.

Guess I'll go ahead and turn it in tomorrow. Thanks for motivating me!

Isk8NYC
08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Congratulations on the job, davincisoprano1!

Query
08-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Audryb: What type of foam works for you?

P.S. http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/heat-mold.html#custom says Jackson does customs. And http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Publications.aspx?Id=qnZKVWj2TwxmReA7ftpPxw1A2B3C4 D5E1A2B3C4D5E says you can custom order modifications of stock boots to get combination widths. I'm not clear how that affects costs. Of course it's too late now.

P.S. Start at Jackson's site map http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/site.html. Click on "Prices and Ordering", the U.S. flag, the U.S. map, "Competitive Skaters", "Purchasing Information", "Customizing skate to Fit You". They say you can custom order modifications of stock boots to get combination widths. I'm not clear how that affects costs. Of course it's too late now. God only knows how they expect people to navigate their site, and figure out what modifications they offer. Really bad web design.

Audryb
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Query, thanks for the info. I've been all over Jackson's site, and I agree it's not very intuitive to navigate. Also, like you said, it's too late. When I bought these I couldn't even skate backwards. I didn't know what I needed and at the time I thought they fit. When I buy my next pair, I'll go to a good fitter, even if I have to travel a good distance to do so, and I'll buy whatever brand works best for my feet. Jacksons in a split width might work, but I'm sure the Elite would be too stiff for me, so I'm guessing I'll end up in a different brand. For now though, I can't afford to buy new boots (and since my current boots are actually a little too long for me, I'm guessing it's likely I'll need new blades as well, and I really can't afford both!)

I used those brightly colored foam sheets you get at the craft store. They're about 1/16" thick, flexible, and easy to cut, squishy, but not too squishy, and only 99 cents for an 8x10 sheet. I use masking tape to attach them to the inside of the skate, which seems to stick better than athletic tape, but does still need to be maintained every so often.

Purple Sparkly
08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I attach make-up pads to the inside of my skate for the inside of my ankle. I keep them in place with duct tape. Yes, duct tape. I have more slippage on the left foot, so I also placed a sheet of moleskin over the duct tape. I think this adds just enough extra padding and doesn't slide as much as the duct tape. The make-up pads do tend to compress after a while of use, so I'll have to either replace the whole thing, or add another pad on top. Right now I have two pads in the left skate and one in the right. I really just need the pads to put an extra grip on my heel right where the little depression is.

aussieskater
08-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Jacksons in a split width might work, but I'm sure the Elite would be too stiff for me, so I'm guessing I'll end up in a different brand.

Another brand might well fit you better but just to let you know you don't have to start at Elite to get the custom E width in Jackson boots - I believe that can start at Competitor (or maybe even Freestyle).

(And yeah, their site is a nightmare to navigate. You think it'd be in their interests to make it a little more customer-friendly??)

Audryb
08-19-2010, 06:52 PM
That is good to know, but can/ will they do a split width possibly 2 or 3 sizes different in the Competitor (or I guess the Premier is now the next model up from the Freestyle)? The ball of my foot is a D or E, but my heel is too narrow for the B I'm wearing now... I'm trying to resign myself to the fact that my next pair may very well be custom. But I will definitely check all options and make sure I'm fitted by an expert!

just to let you know you don't have to start at Elite to get the custom E width in Jackson boots - I believe that can start at Competitor (or maybe even Freestyle)

Davincisoprano, congratulations on your job and sorry for semi-hijacking your thread!

aussieskater
08-20-2010, 04:49 AM
That is good to know, but can/ will they do a split width possibly 2 or 3 sizes different in the Competitor (or I guess the Premier is now the next model up from the Freestyle)? The ball of my foot is a D or E, but my heel is too narrow for the B I'm wearing now...

Yes they do - the ones I'm waiting for right now have been sized as B heel E ball. I eventually chose synchro boots as the poor man's version of their luscious-looking dance boot, but was told by the fitter that Jackson can split widths starting from Freestyle.

Not sure whether Freestyle will go past the D though - it may be that with the Freestyle, they will only split within their usual minimum and maximum width ranges (ie: A-D, so you could do as narrow as A heel, coupled with as wide as D ball). If your required size is outside their usual range, you would need to go to the Competitor or Premiere (= next one up from Competitor).

Even better, the split width doesn't cost the earth by comparison to the basic boot cost (which is astronomic if you're not in Canada/US!) As far as I can tell, they charge an extra $50 for one size split width.

Audryb
08-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Yes they do - ...

Not sure whether Freestyle will go past the D though - it may be that with the Freestyle, they will only split within their usual minimum and maximum width ranges (ie: A-D, so you could do as narrow as A heel, coupled with as wide as D ball). If your required size is outside their usual range, you would need to go to the Competitor or Premiere (= next one up from Competitor).

well, that's REALLY good to know, thanks! (I have Freestyles now, and can tell that as my jump level increases they're really not quite strong enough, so moving up probably won't be a problem if I stay with Jackson.)

Even better, the split width doesn't cost the earth by comparison to the basic boot cost (which is astronomic if you're not in Canada/US!) As far as I can tell, they charge an extra $50 for one size split width.

That's good to know also. Great info.

Query
08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Sorry to have hijacked the thread.

I used to use duct tape under the insole, to make "duct ape orthotics". But the duct tape gradually compresses - maybe the adhesive migrates out from under the tape, and peels off.

Still duct tape has that certain class which cannot be matched by other materials. Maybe one could stiffen boots by wrapping layers of duct tape around them... Would attract attention. :P Maybe one could make one's own complete custom boots out of duct tape, wrapped around socks and an outsole! Apply shoe polish, and no one would know.

[Please don't take that seriously. :) For one thing, you need a way to safely take one's feet out.]

Someone told me they glued a large amounts of upholstery foam inside misfit boots. Might be pretty squishy, if it is an open cell foam (i.e., the air squishes out). The key part would be finding a glue that can't irritate the skin when dry.

Maybe I have been too worried about using "skin safe" materials. I tried "adhesive felt" sheets (also 99 cents at the craft store), which worked, and didn't compress. But no way would I trust the skin safety of spray-in insulation foam. But just imagine: Spray it in, put on a sock that becomes the liner, put the boots on, remove the excess and have an instant fit. Maybe one could find a skin-safe spray in foam that would work? If it soaked through the sock, you'd be in there for good. :twisted:

[Please don't take that seriously either.]

GoSveta
08-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Last time I used Dr Scholl's inserts, I was off the ice for 3 weeks with sore Achilles tendons. Couldn't even skate because every time the back of my skate tapped them... Ugh... It felt like someone cut the back of my foot with a razor and dumped salt on it.

Part of the issue was the fact that they made my heel lift and I was bending above where my boot broke in (the one that is broken in :P ). It was really causing me to pull at my Achilles.

Got SuperFeet and moved my blades to compensate, and the issues went away!

Glad they're working for you, though! Gratz on the new job!!!

sk8joyful
08-22-2010, 01:56 AM
1) I GOT HIRED!!!!!!!!!

2) My boots aren't moving around as much, the Dr. Scholl's inserts definitely helped. :)

Congratulations on your new job! :) Now go keep every skater as safe as possible ;)

davincisoprano1
08-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Thank you everyone!

Last night was my first night and it's wonderful because I'm getting paid to skate! Granted it's not practice but it's skating around the rink and getting exercise. I worked the rental shop for the first hour and then the second hour I was able to skate guard. I have never been flirted with as much as I've been on the ice. That's really the only time guys flirt with me is when I'm out there and I had about 5 come up to me tonight as I was working on the ice (this isn't including some of my co-workers) that told me that they'd seen me practicing a few times and that I'm really good (hardly, but I'll take the compliment haha). And then two of them at the end of the session proceeded to skate towards me as fast as they could and spray me from head to toe in ice. YEAH. Freezing.

But I really like my job. A lot. It's not stressful which is what I need and I'm getting paid doing something I love. Actually, the scenario is JUST like that movie Ice Princess, I got a job at the rink so I can pay for lessons and ice time. The only exception is that I'm not a prodigy, I just have a little raw talent. haha.

And when I can get over for public sessions, I get to go on for free. :D It's a win-win, especially in the fall when all children are in school!

sk8joyful
08-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you everyone!

Last night was my first night and it's wonderful because I'm getting paid to skate!
I really like my job. A lot. It's not stressful which is what I need and I'm getting paid doing something I love.
Actually, the scenario is JUST like that movie Ice Princess,
I got a job at the rink so I can pay for lessons and ice time.

The only exception is that I'm not a prodigy, I just have a little raw talent. haha.

How kewl is this! We should all have jobs we passionately love :D

Tho always question the 'little raw talent' part. - Because people in general, as an individual could achieve way more, given the right kind of support, coupled to their own motivation & drive. - Now maybe you developed your kinesthetic-sense earlier? And maybe someone else doesn't have this system as well developed, yet can. So like what were to happen if everyone was considered, what you call a prodigy, as in we can all do it & well, given the right supportive resources, starting with successful attitudes, beliefs & possibility-development...

One example, not skating-related, was when my daughter started school; the public-school staff wanted to know "What did you do to create this little genius?" - Aghast I responded: "Considering I operate from the conviction that we each were created as a genius :D I merely allowed her to think like one, and nurtured & encouraged her innate creative genius, we each all naturally possess, & then got out of her way; and this is the result you see today"
btw.
two years later she burned-out in the hopeless public-school system, & so we went back to Homeschooling instead, and consequently she graduated from college, with honors, no less at age 17!! :D

In other words, it's fairly apparent that inside each of us lies LOTS of 'raw talent', and
ours is the opportunity to constructively nurture & encourage each other in developing :D it, Agreed? ;)