View Full Version : Big update- money, skates, progress, future plans.

icestalker
08-10-2010, 06:40 PM
If any of you remember my thread on Gold Medallions which turned into a how-to-pay-for-skating thread, this is pretty much an update on that.

First of all, buying those Gold Medallions has been the best decision I've ever made. I couldn't even do a real waltz jump four months ago, and now I can land full flips. The Coronation Aces were a good decision also, because they have erased my fear of toe jumps, have improved my spins and edges, and they are high-level enough that I can use them for probably the next two-three years (have gotten nearly 60 hours between sharpenings, which is great.)
Ever since learning the full flip, my fear of falling has seemed to go away. I now belong to the unoffical Snow-butt Club. :lol: The skates seem to have a factor in making me more confident.

As for the next pair of skates? After looking at a range of skates made for skaters doing double sals up to double flip, I am fairly sure that I will be able to afford them, provided that my Medallions last to about next summer. I've mainly been looking at the Riedell 875TS and the HLS 1500, skates that are in the $500-600 range.
Reviews & experience with those two models would be nice!

While on the money topic, the Publix by my house has dropped their age limit to 14 again. I turned 14 a few days ago, and will be applying soon! Their system works in such a way that I can simply update my application every 31 days. I already have a reference lined up (my 4-h leader) and am thinking about asking my coach to be one, but probably won't, because she doesn't know me very well outside of skating.

In two years I will also be able to drive, so even if I don't have my own car by then, I can wait for my Mom to get home from work, then go to the afternoon freestyles. My brother also is starting college, so I want to try to work out something where he drops me off (the college is right down the road from the rink), I practice in freestyle for 2 or 3 hours, and my Dad picks me up and takes me home. The only thing is getting my mom to pay for 2 hours of freestyle.

After the competition, I will probably continue doing private lessons, and will be able to skate two days a week. I recently went to a Sunday public skate with my friend, and it was actually quite nice. There were people there, but there was plenty of room to practice. So I might get to skate on Sundays too, since my Dad can take me. As for my jumps/lessons, I've made a goal to land all singles before 2011. I am fairly confident, since I landed loop and flip so quickly. All that is left is lutz and axel. And since jumps don't really excite me much, I won't have the psychological axel block that so many skaters seem to encounter. I have sit-spin psychological block instead. :??

I also did my first off-ice jump class recently, which is led by my coach. I have never done off-ice jumps beyond simple two-foot ones before, nor have I done them at home. Apparently I am a 'natural' at the jumps (axel, double sal, double loop, double toe.) They aren't all fully rotated, but pretty darn close.

Five months ago, if someone had told me that I'd be doing flips and lutzes at this time, I would have had them locked up in a loony bin. But now I've fallen completely, absolutely, obsessively in love with skating. I may not go to the Olympics, but as long as I can spend my whole life doing this, I'll be happy.

Query
08-10-2010, 11:06 PM
How wonderful!

I'm sure it isn't just the equipment. You must be working very hard. Congratulations!

Isk8NYC
08-11-2010, 09:31 AM
You have a great attitude! That also goes a long way towards improving skating skills. You're focused, long-range, on the correct things: enjoying the experience, working hard and improving skills towards real achievement. Bravo! :bow:

I already have a reference lined up (my 4-h leader) and am thinking about asking my coach to be one, but probably won't, because she doesn't know me very well outside of skating.

Make sure to ask your 4H leader and skating coach in advance if they're willing to serve as references.

I think your skating coach is a fine reference, considering how much of your budgeting, planning and hard work she's witnessed through skating.

Good luck!

icestalker
08-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much :D And yep, I asked my leader in advance.