View Full Version : Coaching technique

AgnesNitt
08-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a new coach. We're on our second lesson. So he's using a different technique than my other coaches and I thought it would be interesting to describe.

First, my other coaches have focused on individual basic skills and gradually putting them together in something like a waltz 8, or some other form. This coach goes right into simple footwork.

For example. last week he had me do chassee's (which I did a couple of years ago before the broken ankle). And he had me do forward crossovers to see where I was skill wise. This week he put them together in a simple alternating crossover chassee. It's not hard, put it requires me to concentrate 1 (push),2 cross, 3push again, 4 chassee 1 push.....
I eventually lose track and chasse when I should be crossing, but I can do it.

Last week he had me do alternating crossovers on a serpentine. This week it was alternating crossovers on the straight forward and backward--with assistance, it's be a looooong time since I've done these forward, so I consider it a demonstration. But I see he's building skills in a sequence and expect next week to be doing it on my own forward-backward seems really hard (although he told me I went straight to the correct edges--whew!). Don't these have a name? is it crosscuts? or crossrolls?

So, week 1, he does simple step--week 2 he puts things together or ups the ante.

But now he does something else. He uses behavior modification. (I've trained people, dogs and horses, I recognize the techniques.)

I have unconsciously developed a semi-phobia about the hockey circle. Bad things happen on the hockey circle. So what does he do. He gets me off the circle has me do an outside 3 into a lunge to the right, with a lunge to the left, into a back cross, turn and step forward repeat. I've used this technique on dogs and horses. Some bad training event happens someplace, you change the location and modify the training. So he's now got me off the hockey circle (the zone of terror), with a modified drop 3 into skating backwards (my fear level) but eventually into a forward where I feel comfortable. So much is going on I don't have time to panic over the back cross. Nice job.

And he pointed out something in my mohawks (which due to the broken ankle and an old hip injury has gone missing in action). He told me to glide on the skating foot and take as long as I need to get my other foot in position. This has gone a long way to getting me closer to doing mohawks again, as up to now I just stuck my foot down to get it over with.

It's only in the last two weeks that the ankle formerly known as broken, has stopped hurting and my leg strength has returned after months of training. How I would adapt to this type of training if I was still in hurting condition, I don't know.

So what kind of techniques do your coaches use? Or if you are a coach what do you do?

dbny
08-07-2010, 07:38 PM
It seems like he's a very good coach for you. Does he happen to be Russian? It sounds like what I see a lot of Russian coaches doing. I use many different techniques when I teach. I usually begin with the USFS Basic Skills progression, and modify as required for each student's particular needs. People learn in many different ways, and the demand for flexibility and creativity is one of the things I love about teaching.

If you are doing consecutive crosses in a straight line and every step is an outside edge, then they are called cross rolls (dance) or cross strokes (MIF).

AgnesNitt
08-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Well, he is Russian. My other coaches, and they've been very good, have all had good skating technique, and all taught me well. But, as a former professional trainer, I find myself observing his technique and thinking back to my old behavior modification days: "Chaining behavior, fading behavior, relocation, " and so on. The fact that it is so recognizable, makes me think it's some formal coaching technique he learned.

teresa
08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
After reading one of my husbands horse books I found that horses and their learning style is very close to mine and how I learn skating. Who would of thought?! I was so surprised I actually shared one of the books with my skating coach. I agree with your understanding Agnes.

teresa

Skate@Delaware
08-08-2010, 10:51 AM
That's great! My coach is awesome, she knows how hard to push and when to back off. She is able to work with my "issues" and adapt to get me over the sticking points.

All this talk about horses reminds me of a time when we used to trail ride-we would come to a point in the trail (in the woods) where the horses used to balk at jumping over a little spring...so one day we had a horsetrainer with us and she suggested that we go the other way. Wow, it was no problem they hopped right over it! So we turned the horses around so they could see what they just went through and made them go back through it. After that it was no problem for them. It just took a change in perspective for them to realize it wasn't difficult (or as scary) and the guidance of someone who knew how to get them to do it.